“A Big Easy”

JW Marriott New Orleans
Ranked #71 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 15, 2014

If you are looking for opulent rooms, this may not be the place for you. They are nice enough, but average-sized, and the bathrooms are small. But we did like the location -- on Canal Street, close enough to Bourbon St. but not too close. We also enjoyed taking the trolley to the Garden District, and walked over to try our luck at Harrah's. What's best about the hotel itself is the service -- relaxed, friendly and efficient. It permeates every encounter with hotel staff, and made the stay special.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
OpsManager70130, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you for your kind comments on our hotel location, as you experienced we are a short walk to Bourbon St. and many great restaurants in the French Quarter. It is great to know that you were able to take advantage of the nearby trolley and experience the city! I also thank you for your comments regarding our service. Each of our staff take great pride in providing thoughtful and genuine service. It sounds like our team accomplished that for you! I am looking forward to passing your positive feedback along. Again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I hope you will join us again in the future, should your travels bring you back to New Orleans!

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,446)

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I almost stayed elsewhere after reading reviews complaining the hotel was out of date and the rooms were too small. My room is well sized and looks exactly how a JW room should look---inviting, comfortable and luxurious. even better is the great gym with lots of machines and plenty of room for stretching or yoga. Concierges was super helpful and was bereft of any attitude that you sometimes find with the position. I will stay here again for my next trip.

Room Tip: top floors reduce exterior noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank oskiwow

It is absolutely wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your room, our fitness center, and our concierge service. I am quite pleased to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for four nights to attend the Sugar Bowl. We had two rooms on the 21st floor. Unfortunately, there are three facades to this hotel, and ours faced the Business District and Casino, not the French Quarter and Canal Street. You could get those views with access to the Executive Business Suite on the 27th floor, but that Suite was rarely open when we stayed.

The hotel staff was high quality, and room service was quick and tasty. The rooms were clean. However, they are no better than you would get at a Comfort Inn on Highway 64. The carpet was dated and the bathroom was tiny.

The restaurant/bar/lobby was very drafty and cold. We had appetizers and drinks in the bar and the bartenders were very service-oriented.

The concierge service is worth the wait in line-they had great dining suggestions. However, don't use Dixie Tours. We balked at the suggested high-dollar tour, settling for the $45/person three hour tour, over half of which was not history, but sight seeing the Katrina ravaged neighborhoods, listening to our guide (who was obviously from New Jersey but swore he was a native New Orleans resident) say, "You see that water mark there? That's how high the water was."

The location is great, but there are a bunch of high end options on Canal Street, and next time we will choose one of those.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up that faces the French Quarter and Canal.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the JW Marriott New Orleans. I appreciate your honest feedback, both positive and negative as we are constantly working to improve the hotel experience for our guests. All of our concierge are wonderful as you stated, collectively they do not miss a beat. I sincerely hope you will reconsider your statement regarding choosing other hotel options upon your next trip to New Orleans. We would love the opportunity to be of service to you to make your trip memorable.

Ted Selogie

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Well I booked this hotel in may under a Gov./military Rate. This will be by last time to do that again at a Marriott. I will never stay at a Marriott again. I book in May for a Jan stay. The rate for the Gov. rate went up 50 dollars so they just charge you 50 dollars more. To raise a military rate by 50 dollars at check in is unheard of. I did talk to Cole Wallace Director of Operations after I canceled and he said that is the way they do it on Gov./Military rate. I think when you make a res. the price should be what you booked at and have in writing.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank terryinal
OpsManager70130, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Dear Terryinal,

I appreciate your openness regarding your reservation issue, I value your feedback related to this issue. I again apologize that we were not able to come to an acceptable resolution for you. As I stated, we do adhere to the prevailing government per diem for travel. This rate does fluctuate within the course of the fiscal year. More information related to the government per diem is available at the following link, http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/100120. I again apologize and my commitment to you stands should you decide to stay with us in the future.

All the best,

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Lobby & restaurant were very cold to the point of being uncomfortable - we left the restaurant before ordering.
TWICE we had to call for towels for the room (housekeeping left only hand towels
The service provided by lobby staff was exceptional and responsive.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joseph j
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the JW Marriott New Orleans. I apologize for the temperature and the lack of towels in your guest room. I appreciate your feedback and we will work to eliminate these issues in the future. Your comments are extremely valuable to us to maintaining and improving our overall guest experience. I appreciate your positive comments about our staff in the lobby. I am glad to hear that our team was attentive. I sincerely hope you will consider returning to our hotel so that we can be of service to you.

Ted Selogie

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed at this location for two nights after Christmas in 2013. We had a larger group and two rooms. We were greeted and treated very nicely on arrival at the hotel, as the bell staff took good care of us. We checked in and were taken to our rooms. When we arrived at the second room it was under repair and very messy/smelly. The bellman was bewildered and embarrassed, I think. We went back down to the front desk and asked for another room. The lady there was cordial, but it took awhile to get a replacement room and get us settled in. The hotel was nice, but not great. The replacement room we got was run down. the bathroom was VERY small, and the bathtub was cracked and broken - very ugly. It was cool in New Orleans while we were there, and the entire hotel was cold - too cold to sit in the bar, and the lobby was cold too. The hotel did not offer much in the way of entertainment or services, from my experience. It has an excellent location and was moderately clean and well kept. If I had a choice, I would not spend the extra money to stay at this JW Marriott when there are better choices in the area for less money, even Marriott properties.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
OpsManager70130, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback on your stay. I apologize for the issues that occurred, and we will work hard to ensure that this experience does not happen again. Your comments are a priceless in helping us to maintain and improve our overall guest experience. I hope that you will consider our hotel when traveling back to New Orleans as I am confident we can meet and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We had several issues that came up during our two-night stay with the JW Marriott in New Orleans, but the staff could not have been more helpful or obviously empowered to try to correct all of the obstacles and issues that occurred. As a very frequent high-end traveler, it's refreshing to have everyone in the hotel - whether it's a concierge club-level attendant or the front desk manager - try to make up for the inconveniences and problems that can occur during a stay. While we had more than our fair share on this particular trip, I would recommend the hotel because of their sincere efforts to find solutions or resolutions without delay or having to "hand it off" to a higher-up. It's hard to find such excellent customer service - though it would have been better if we hadn't had as many problems in the first place.

Room Tip: Rooms are noisy. Even on the higher floors, street noise is easily heard - and hallway noise is obv...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank WKAIN

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the JW Marriott New Orleans. I apologize for the issues that you faced during your stay. I appreciate your positive comments about our staff continually working to resolve the challenges that occurred during your experience. I am glad to hear that our team was kind and responsive to your concerns. I sincerely hope you will choose the JW Marriott New Orleans upon returning to our city in the future.