“Great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My friends and I went down to New Orleans this past weekend. I have so many positive things to say about this hotel
- Great location! It's right off of Bourbon and Royal street, but not on it which is even better!
- Free water bottles all the time!!!
- Beautiful Lobby
- Concierge was very helpful when picking a tour
- They allowed us late check out, as late as 3:30pm!!!

The only thing negative was that our room did not have a refrigerator and we called down for one but never got it.

Try out Nola for dinner, Cafe Du Monde (worth the wait), a city tour (definitely go to the garden district), Bourbon Street, Frenchman street for great live music

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Not only is this a great place to stay due to location, but it's very professional, welcoming and quiet!!

We were very lucky to have enough points to stay for a couple of night, therefore it didn't cost us anything but valet parking. Valet parking is about $40 a night. The only trouble we ran into was trying to get into where valet parking began. Your GPS map will leave you to Canal Street with JW Marriott either on the right or left but you actually have to go around to the opposite side of that block to get to their valet parking area!

The parking and baggage attendants did a fantastic job... make sure you have cash ready so that you can tip them for their help :)

Their hotel bar was a nice stop for us before purchasing a drink to take to the room :)

And if you're a rewards member, you can also request late checkout, which is an awesome benefit have especially when you're in New Orleans!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Jcontenta
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Great hotel with good views of the river. Room was very nice. Would have liked to have my wife along on the trip to enjoy the hotel. Not a family place due to location in the French Quarter. But for work, the location was great. Visited the Harrah's down the street for entertainment. Front desk allowed an early check in. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Go high up to get the views and avoid the middle of the night sirens in the French Quarter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PagosaDan
NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

The staff was friendly and welcoming. The room was comfortable with nice amenities although not as quiet as I would have liked as I could hear noise from the upstairs guest (I assume that was where it was coming from). I did not use the restaurant here so I can not rate it but I did use the spa and the staff was friendly there as well. All in all, I was very pleased with it but the rates can be pricey.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MJStrider
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear MJStrider,

Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with us. We are glad you were able to enjoy some time in the Serenity spa; it's always a nice treat on vacation! Our apologies if the noise was bothersome. In the future, please feel free to bring such issues to our attention, and we will do everything in our power to remedy the situation. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Please let me know if I can be of assistance planning a visit.

Cole Wallace

Director of Operations
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We used Priceline to get a really good rate at this hotel, and couldn't have been happier. The location right at the edge of the French Quarter was perfect, the room was very nice and the Marriott customer service can't be beat. Make sure you stay at the JW Marriott, there's another Marriott hotel right across the street, but in my opinion, this one is the better choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HildegardeG
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

As yearly visitors of the J. W. Marriott, New Orleans, I feel I am more than qualified to comment on this hotel. We visit most years the week/weekend prior to Fat Tuesday, so we are out of New Orleans before the real craziness begins. The rooms, while showing a little wear and tear, are still carefully cleaned and the maid service is always prompt and eager to please. There was no turn down service this year but I am sure had it been requested, it would have been provided. Enough towels are provided by housekeeping that extras are not needed before the next day. Breakfast and room service are provided by Shula’s Restaurant. I ordered room service twice this year and both times it was delivered at the time quoted by the person taking the order. Hot and tasty! Year in and year out, the staff are always super friendly and helpful.
The J. W. Marriott is close enough to Bourbon Street and all the excitement, yet far enough away to be a very small oasis. It’s also a nice walk to the French Market and Jackson Square.
This year I accidentally left my purse in the bar area while having coffee and Danish in the morning. When I discovered the mistake several hours later and reported it to the front desk and security, I discovered it had been found and turned in by the young man cleaning the area. Everything was there – including the cash. Unfortunately, honesty seems unusual in this day and age, and I appreciate the Marriott for hiring the best and thanks again to the honest young man – I hope he received the small reward I left at the front desk.
You can stay with confidence at our home in New Orleans, the J. W. Marriott.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank luvtotravelsc
San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

So here is my experience with this hotel. I will be writing this letter to the property as well.

First, if you have Elite Status I encourage you to stay at the full service Marriott located very close to this JW Resort property. It will cost less points and you will get a better stay.

Before booking this hotel I called and asked if Gold Status get free breakfast and they said that yes you do. So I had the individual book the hotel for me using points. When I checked in I was informed that my status would not get me free breakfast. I later complained to the service desk and was told that I do not get free breakfast but she would go ahead and add that to my reservation. I didn't like having to talk to 3 different people. But I guess if the squeaky wheel complains you get the oil. The breakfast wasn't good.

I did not receive a room upgrade, nor did I get on the concierge floor.

I was told to call ahead for Valet as it takes 20 mins to get the car. NO problem. Except when I called for Valet they said they were to busy and I would have to come downstairs to get put into the queue. That was odd and annoying as this is a valet only hotel. (Most in NOLA are though).

The cost per night (points or money) did not warrant me a good stay. The Marriott down the street is FAR more an improvement over this one. Don't waste your hard earned points or actual $$$ at this property.

I will say the bellhop was friendly, and that was about it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank justin7525
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Justin,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. We take pride in providing high quality service to our guests. All Gold Elite Members are welcome to the complimentary continental breakfast, which includes eggs, bacon, sausage, and oatmeal in the Executive Club Lounge Monday through Friday. All Executive floor rooms were occupied during your stay, making it impossible to place you on those floors. The communication with you at JW should always be respectful, and professional, and ensure we can help accommodate any inquiry you may have.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and would love an opportunity to earn back your trust as a valued guest. Please contact me through the main phone number of the hotel.

Ted Selogie