“Great Hotel and Location”

JW Marriott New Orleans
Ranked #75 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed here for five days on Marriott Points as a platinum member with access to the executive lounge in room 1922. We were greeted professionally and friendly at the check in and check out. The bellmen there especially 'William" were so friendly and professional when we left I felt like he was an old friend. He gave recomendations on resturants, drinking spots, cigar bars , etc.He is a great asset to the hotel.This hotel has the best gym, with new equipment, clean towels, great water and layout. We ate out and drank every day and night anything and everything we wanted but because of the Gym, I gained no weight in 5 days! We ran into some of the Asst coaches of the Carolina Pathers in the gym, who were staying there. As a matter of fact I played against this coach back in the 1970's while playing for the SC Carolina Gamecocks he was coaching at UNC at that time. He had a better memory than me! I looked for Cam Newton but didnt see him. The location of the hotel was perfect right on Canal Street right across from Royal street in the French Quarter. That was perfect... we felt safe, secure and rested as we could walk everywhere in the FQ. As a matter of fact we were so spoiled we had a reservation at a restaurant not in the FQ, but cancelled because of so many places we could eat in the Quarter and didnt want to take a cab. The hotel is clean, modern and safe and in a perfect location. We will stay here again! Great Stay!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terrell H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,464)

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Pros: Excellent location, great bellman and parking staff...

Cons: Employees other than the bellman/parking staff not hospitable. Certainly not what I would consider 4-5 star service.

So many good choices in New Orleans...probably would not choose this one again...

Room Tip: High Floor river view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kkjohnson521
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I stay at Marriott properties all over the world and particularly enjoy a stay at a JW, being a premium brand of this hotel chain. Sadly, the JW in New Orelans is anything but premium. The reasons are many (I will list some..) but not major. However, the sum total produces in what in effect is product not up to scratch. On arrival, I was met with indifference (I am Marriott Gold) and felt as if I was doing the Check-in clerk a favour. No offer made to help with luggage – and between the two couples we had a fair amount. Got to our rooms and on first inspection, they looked fine albeit a little small. We had two adjoining rooms and both looked a little shoddy. We had stains on the carpet and next door had burn marks (cigarette??) on the curtains. In the out of the way places in the room, it was obviously not very clean. Dust for example, under the writing desk (not that I usually look!!). We went to breakfast in Mortons – part of the hotel. Whilst not very busy, dishes were being stacked up on tables nearby and tables simply not cleared. After an earlier experience at the Atlanta Airport Marriott where the made to order omelettes were divine, the JW experience provided a chef who spoke little or no English, making it a challenge to have the ingredients of ones’ choice. My sister’s fried egg was undercooked – I suggested she return to the omelette station and have a fresh one made. The chef took the fried egg from the plate into the pan to further cook!!! My sister insisted on a fresh egg. Doh! Upon leaving, the Maître D’ suggested we book for breakfast which we did. The next day we were 4 of 10 people in the restaurant at breakfast! In the meantime, my shower rail was coming loose and a slight pull on the shower curtain, could have had me in trouble. I mentioned this twice in two days to the front Desk. It was never fixed. There was a distinct lack of hot water throughout our stay. Again I mentioned this twice and nothing was done. All this may seem petty, but this is a premium property charging premium prices. On checking out, the Clerk asked me if I enjoyed my stay and I told him not really. Coincidentally, the Front Office Manager was in earshot of my comments. He came over and took time to listen to the issues I had in my stay. Other than apologising, the Manager addressed my room charges and was extremely professional in his approach. He took time to listen to me – I am constructive and not a whiner – which I much appreciated. By way of example that the hotel is becoming tatty, I pointed out to him the wall behind the Front Desk which were scarred and marked, looking awfully grubby. So all in all, not up to the usual JW standards. I hope they correct these somewhat small matters because I sincerely believe this to be an exception to the norm. I continue to be a Marriott fan for their [usually] consistent product.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Malim27
Reviewed January 4, 2012

The hotel itself was as close to perfect as it comes. I got a room with 2 double beds and they were comfortable. I'll agree with a few other reviews saying the bathroom was 'small', but it wasn't cramped.

What you are really getting with this hotel is location. Just 2 blocks from Bourbon, and surrounded by restaurants (both high class and fast food) a Walgreens and CVS, multiple beer/liquor stores.

I preferred staying off Bourbon because you don't get effected by the noise, and are still within 15 mins walking distance of anything in the French Quarter.

The one problem I had with the hotel was when the declined my reservation on the 27th, 2 days before I flew down from New York. I was told in August, when I booked the trip, I wouldn't be charged until I got there (ended up getting charged upon checkout). I was told they tried to bill my card on the 27th...but between August and the end of December I had a fraudulent change on my card and changed my #.

I had to call them and spend about an hour to get my room back...who knows what would have happened if they booked my room. I give them credit for getting my room back, but like I said, I don't want to know if it had gone differently.

Room Tip: You can ask for a view of the French Quarter, but because the hotel is on canal street, it's not...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank mjh84
Reviewed January 2, 2012

First off, I am typing this review on using the internet from my MiFi because the internet connection here is so bad I can't even check my email most of the time. Thats pretty unacceptable to me in this day and age, I don't care if its free if I can't use it. The staff at times has also been a little curt and rude, although some people have been very nice. The concierge lounge is a mixed bag, good food in the evening but they only serve breakfast for an hour and then promptly take everything away. One lady up there didnt even want to see if she had anymore english muffins because they had run out with 15 minutes left of service. gross, its your job to keep things stocked, i dont know what her problem was. THey also kept running out of drinks (soda, water, coffee, etc) The food at night had seafood and was ok, small selection and again, they kept running out of things and taking their time to restock them. on the plus side, they did a great job cleaning our room and everything looks nice and new. I also had a nice view of the river and FQ. overall i was just disappointed, if i come back again i would definitely choose the Pere Marquette down the street over this place. i've stayed there before and its definitely the better place to use my reward points.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank GlobalCitizen86
Reviewed January 1, 2012

While not as elegant as other JW's, it has a great location on Canal Street within easy walking distance of Jackson Square. Coffee and dining facilities are wean, but the concierge lounge was great, when open. Rooms are clean and well equipped.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mbin8910
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed here for my 2nd visit to the Crescent City and loved it. This hotel is in the perfect location to downtown NOLA. The rooms are awesome (we got complimentary strawberries and champagne sent up) they are clean and comfortable. The Marriott is a short walk to Harrah's Casino and Bourbon Street-where the party never stops.

Bourbon street is great, but can get expensive. It's definitely the place to be at any time of day. My boyfriend and I loved the live music, walking around with drinks and enjoying the sights, but there are plenty of other things to do in the city too.

First off, do not pass up a chance to take a swamp tour. We went with Captain Rodney and he was phenomenal. We saw tons of gators and he was an excellent tour guide. Riding the street car is definitely the way to get around. Take it to the French Market where you can eat outside, and listen to live Jazz. Very romantic. There is also great street artists in front of the cathedral there where you can pick up some local artwork, and an awesome flea market too.

You can take the street car out to Magazine Street to see some of the old garden homes, bars, and great restaurants. Tracy's on Magazine street has the best Roast Beef po boy I've ever had!

Another hidden gem in NOLA is Frenchman Street. There are tons of bars/music clubs on this street and it's much much cheaper/less crowded than Bourbon. We loved going out there.

If you get the opportunity, rent bikes and ride around the city, it's the perfect way to enjoy all the architecture and stop off for food and beers whenever you want. Try to stay away from chain resturants and get the local flavor of the city. It's a great place to be!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple