“Single Mom able to Escape with Toddler in tow”

Hotel Villa Convento
Ranked #94 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
California
“Single Mom able to Escape with Toddler in tow”
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Being a single mom on a budget I decided to break the rules and visit this beautiful city with little money and the inconvenience of my adorable terrible two-er. Villa Convento offered the most affordable rate as one of the French Quarter's most historically colorful original homes.

On the shuttle ride from the airport to the hotel I watched everyone else get off at massive remodeled hotels on noisy bourbon street and other high traffic corners. I was among the last stops. As the bus turned the corner onto Ursuline Street the sounds of tourists instantly diminished and it was although I had just went through a time capsule.

To my right was the Ursuline convent lined by picturesque historic homes with just enough wear to confirm their authenticity. The shuttle parked in front of Croissant D' Or (a favorite among locals for pastries other than beignets and coffee). Directly across the street was the Old Creole townhome with 25 rooms (Villa Convento).

My point is- everything about this hotel including it's location is AUTHENTIC to the soul of New Orleans that entices most us wandering from less romanticized places. The courtyard was eerily tranquil other than birds chirping above the old water fountain chipped in several places. I was worried my son would be a nuisance to this place- not so. I wouldn't scare anyone away by suggesting this place has troubled ghosts or anything... but the place DEFINITELY has a spirit... or two about it; hard to describe. Whatever it was it had an unusually calming effect on both my son and I.

I am someone that NEVER stays in my hotel room even for a minute when I go anywhere- and I have stayed at some really nice places. This place was unlike any others; exceptionally unique. I truly could have stayed in my room and in the courtyard the entire time and still felt like I had absorbed a substantial part of New Orleans' spirit. This place is a MUST try for anyone that is really into history and especially the more colorful history of the Vieux Carre. This place is also a "make possible" option for anyone who wants to have a memorable experience without spending loads of money.

That said the staff here is PHENOMENAL. Loved every one of them. Warren, Erin, Casey... And one other girl who was also a total sweetheart (I feel bad forgetting her name) were all totally welcoming, knowledgeable, and honest. Very very impressive staff.

In a nutshell if you want a place with all the bells and whistles of enormous commercial complexes and massive hotels- this place is NOT for you. If you want somewhere that tempts you to hold your ear to the wall with the suspicion that you'll hear whispers from the past- this place is PERFECT. If you want to escape to somewhere peaceful and quiet with the all the historical charms of New Orleans being unobstructed by drunk and/or frenzied tourists- this place is TOP NOTCH. I loved it and will be back again for sure. Miss it so bad I delayed writing this because I was in denial about being home. lol.

• Stayed March 2010
4 Thank orphanprincess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Florida
Reviewed March 13, 2010

We just came back from 5 days here and found it easy to get around the city. The streetcar, the tour sites, all the Quarter, restaurants, shops, galleries, are all within 15 minute walk max. Family-owned and staff is helpful, courteous, and good people. If you want real NO lodging, this is the place at a reasonable $. No, it doesn't have all the amenities of the big hotels, but very adequate. Free on-street parking when available. Housekeeping every day. We felt safe. There are some maintenance issues for a 200 year old building, but you can find that in varying degrees everywhere. GO FOR IT!

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RareReviewerFlorida
Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 28, 2010

The only thing to excellent about this hotel is that it was a bit musty when we first walked in. Stayed for a total of 3 nights and really enjoyed it. The hotel is about a 5min walk to bourbon st activities and 4-5 min walk to Decatur st and Jackson square. There's a courtyard which is really cute and has seating and plantlife. There's also a garage but it's kind of a strange system: you have to get a key form the receptionist, drive a few blocks to park in the garage and then walk back with the key. If you're leaving you need to get the key and then drop it off. Kind of strange but mostly not a big deal. the garage isn't that big and if you block someone you have to leave your key with the receptionist (unless you're like me and don't want to, in which case you're expected to move your car whenever someone needs to move in or out). Overall, this was definitely worth it and would definitely go back!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank m0nkeygirl
Savannah, GA
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I visited the hotel during Christmas and it was wonderful. It was beautifully decorated and it felt so cheery. I had a room in the main building (not a courtyard or balcony) and it was great. It was cozy, quiet, and I slept so well in that bed. Me and my partner have been to New Orleans several times and usually stay at the bigger more popular hotels. We decided this time we would try some where new. WOW I loved it, it felt like I was a resident of the city. The staff was so friendly it felt like they were old friends (we hung out downstairs in the beautiful bar with the family who ran the place), the building itself is located on a quaint street right across the street from an awesome patisserie and its right down the street from the French Market (which was redone very nicely). The hallways were chilly which is fine, you don’t really hang out in the hallway; the building was built before electricity was invented so where would they put heaters without ruining the integrity of the halls but the most important our room was warm, had a flat screen tv, was clean and had nice shower pressure. I see how many people may not like this hotel because if you like everything to be perfect or you like the consistency of larger place this hotel is not for you. The place is unique and is unlike any other hotel. I see why most guests who stay here are from the area and Europeans. They enjoy it here because they appreciate the history, architecture and like to support a small family run business. I cannot wait to return!

1 Thank fariyland101
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed January 6, 2010

My wife and I went down to New Orleans the week after Christmas to get away from the family a bit. Though I wouldn't recommend this time of year unless you like the cold. We bundled up out side to brave weather. But the inside of the hotel was no better. It was freezing throughout the halls. There are many doors leading to other areas and patios on each floor, and for some reason, no matter what time of day I passed it, they were slightly ajar. I don't understand why as it was around 30 degrees at night. The staff was nice and helpful - I should know because we had to ask them for new batteries to our remote, for shampoo and conditioner that was not in our room, and for a hairdryer because where ours once was, there was now a marked tear in the wall - where someone had stolen or removed a wall mounted hairdryer.
The bathroom had a plastic shower curtain that was ripped. Fingerprints from guests past were all over walls, doors, near light switches - does no one wipe down the walls? The art work was also ripped or dented along with the wall paper. Water stains also marked the ceilings and walls, shoeprints and luggage scrapes scarred the interior of our room. A fresh coat of paint or new art from a flea market would have helped. The bed was bowed - like sleeping in a hammock - that definitely added to the poor sleep we got. It was so cold in the rooms, that we were provided with electrical heaters. But there was no comfortable medium. At night the air was so hot and dry your mouth, tongue, lips and nostrils dried up and in the mornings we had sore throats. The bathroom sink is in the bedroom and it would clog with in seconds of brushing your teeth or washing your face.
IF you could tolerate all that - there was a smell of sewer that appeared every so often, and sounds of the wall crumbling when people upstairs would move. It was definitely an old establishment with need of upkeep.

Dallas
Reviewed January 3, 2010

I found this hotel in the Frommers travel guide, and it sounded quaint. I like boutique hotels, but this one seemed as though the owners did not really pay attention to details or care too much about them. Our room had a dresser with missing knobs, a piece of the wall had loose wires hanging out as though the fire alarm or something was supposed to be there. I told them about the wall, and they didn't seem to care. They didn't come look at it or anything. Also, the walls are paper thin. We could hear every word of our neighbor's television (among other things). For the price of this hotel, we were expecting MUCH more. We originally had three nights booked here, and left after our first night because we were so dissatisfied.

Spokane, WA
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Visitors will either love it or hate it. There is a charming rustic authenticity to the Hotel Villa Convento that gives a real taste of New Orleans. The location is great! Its very close to the Frenchman's Ave. music venues and to the Balcony Music Club. The staff were always helpful, friendly and efficient. The property is old and shows its age and that may put off some visitors. But the quiet street, the location, and the staff more than make up for the minor issues with condition.

I stayed in Room 400, which is a suite with 2 balconies with great views of the French Quarter. As you can see from the photos, the main room is large, with a very nice bed. Yes, the carpet is a bit worn and the curtains could be replaced, but the the room was very comfortable and much larger than I expected. According to the front desk, other rooms vary in size.

If you are looking for a large, depersonalized hi-tech business hotel, then this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a true New Orleans experience in the quiet part of the French Quarter, then you should really consider the Villa Convento.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo