“We'll be back - again and again!”

Hotel Villa Convento
Ranked #94 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“We'll be back - again and again!”
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Once again, a great visit at the Villa Convento. If you want the pristine sameness of a chain hotel, this is NOT the place for you. But if you're willing to overlook some cosmetics in exchange for a great, family-owned and operated property that's in a great location, I can't recommend this place highly enough. The new reception area is gorgeous, and the courtyard improvements are great as well. Plus for room 401: a mini fridge; minus: the decrepit hair dryer (easily remedied with a stop @ Walgreen's!) Super location, close to French Market, Croissant d'Or (across street) has everything to satisfy your early a.m. appetite.

And if you're a dog lover, you'll be in luck: look for April and Tamale, and/or Warren and Oyster - the most charming welcoming crew you could hope for. Thanks, Villa Convento, for another great stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Boston
Reviewed February 18, 2009

The location of Hotel Villa Convento is the selling point. It is on a quiet side street in the French Quarter with lovely views and cute shops and bakeries nearby. The building is old and beautiful. The balcony room we stayed in was nice looking, but at closer glance it was a little worn around the edges. There isn't a whole lot of insulation from the noise of the next room over and so we heard their whole morning routine, which was annoying because we wanted to continue sleeping. A totally pleasant stay for a few nights, but for the price I think they could afford to touch up some of the amenities.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank racheloBoston
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We just returned from a weekend at the Hotel Villa Convento and had a wonderful stay.

My original reservation was for a loft room, but I received a call the night before that they had been making some renovations to that room and it wasn't going to be ready when I arrived, so they offered me 2 rooms for the same price. We already had a 2nd room reserved, and it seemed silly to take 3 rooms when there were only 4 of us staying, so we traded our 3 rooms, for 2 rooms with 2 beds in each... and it ended up cheaper for us... that's always a good thing.

Our rooms were clean and comfortable and the location of the hotel is great. Within walking distance of everything we wanted to do.

It is a very old building, and does need some repairs, but we were very pleased with our stay and have already made plans to return. Something I've never done in New Orleans is stay in the same place twice... now I've finally found a place I want to go back to.

Our rooms each had 2 beds... 1 Queen and 1 Twin. No balcony, but we didn't need one, we were only there to sleep and shower... They both had air conditioning and a ceiling fan. 1 room had a jacuzzi tub.

The hotel offers parking 5 blocks away, but we were lucky and got a spot on the street right out front.

• Liked — location location location... just a quick walk to anywhere in the French Quarter.
  • Disliked — They need a new ice machine... it was a bit rusty.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank MelissasTrips
boston
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Mice, mold, and a terrible fire hazard. I had 3 light bulbs explode on me in just one week. Outlets hanging out of the wall. They should tear it down. Send the fire dept there and i'd imagine it would get shut down. WHOA.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank shaylaanderson
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed July 8, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Villa Convento during our January honeymoon. Like others have said, it's a small family-run hotel, so you shouldn't expect it to be as fancy as the Ritz, the Omni, or the Windsor Court. But Hotel Villa Convento offers excellent value for its price, has so much character, and is so typically New Orleans. Our second-floor room was small but cozy, and we loved having wine on our balcony. The staff was welcoming and helpful in recommending their favorite restaurants. And the location, down a quieter side street in the French Quarter, was fantastic! We look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingEs
Georgia
Reviewed March 7, 2008

I stayed at the Villa Convento with a friend for three nights, and we couldn't have been happier there. Our balcony room was small, but nice, and it was very clean. I'm amazed by the complaints from other guests. If you're looking for the Four Seasons, go there. This is a small, family-run hotel with more charm than all the four star hotels in NOLA combined. AND, unlike 99% of the hotels in New Orleans, this one offers free garage parking. It's a few blocks away, and you have to get (and return) a key in order to access it, but it's not a big hassle. It gave us great peace of mind to know the car was safe.

We also loved the location, just a couple of blocks away from the French Market and right in the heart of the French Quarter. We walked everywhere.

This place is safe, quiet, and more reasonably priced than most other places we considered staying. I'll definitely go back.

• Liked — location and staff
  • Disliked — nothing, really
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank letoureiffel
Houston
Reviewed February 18, 2008

My husband and i have stayed at the Hotel Villa Convento every spring since 1983, always in March and often returning in April.I make my reservations a year in advance to be sure of getting in.
I have watched the Campo family develop and maintain this charming place through a number of struggles, not the least of which was Katrina. They fight a constant battle against problems common to New Orleans, including the humidity and the post-Katrina lack of help . I have never felt unsafe there.
It may ot be your 'cup of tea' if the Hilton is more your style. I like the personal touch the Campos put on the place. I find it very comfortable, and I know I'm welcome there. As the years have progressed, so has my disabling arthritis, and the hotel has made it easy for me to cope, constructing a ramp so my scooter can be stored in the laundry room.
I look forward to returning for many years to come.

• Liked — the personal touch of the management
  • Disliked — I love it all!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple