“Terrible, don't stay there.”

Hotel Villa Convento
Ranked #99 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Great location. But unclean, unkempt rooms, threadbare towels, key didn't work and never did. Couldn't stay. Left after one night and checked in elsewhere. No amenities in room except soap. No hospitality.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank islandgirlinkeywest
Hotel_Villa_Convento, Manager at Hotel Villa Convento, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

We should inform the reader that our hotel does indeed offer shampoo and conditioner (upon request), hair dryers, irons and ironing boards. If you don't see it just ask. We are happy to help.

As our previous reviews indicate, hospitality is integral to the experience of staying at our hotel. While we may not offer the amenities of a nationally run chain we try to treat each of our guests like visiting relatives. In doing so we hope to offer an authentic New Orleans experience that cannot be substituted.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel. We travelled with three other couples so we got to see several rooms.All had unique character and charm. You cannot go wrong with this hotel. The location couldn't be better. There is a great restaurant called Coops just around the corner on Decater and a croissant shop across the street. Although only a couple blocks from Bourbin you can find the best authentic jazz in the quarter on Frenchman street just a few blocks away. The hotel is close to everything but on a quiet street. Great staff, all helpful, enthusiastic and responsive!! There is a nice outdoor patio on the property surrounded by the hotel that makes for an exclusive meeting place for the hotel guests. I would not want to mislead the clean freaks reading this. The hotel is old, outdated, in need of some small repairs as with any building of that age and the carpeting edges need a good vacuuming. If you are a clean freak try room 204. It looks recently updated with paint and hardwood floors. That being said the three couples we travel with maintain high standards and were all impressed with the over all experience. We loved this hotel and would highly recommend to anyone!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank johnmiller521
Reviewed April 5, 2013

After reading many of the (mostly positive) reviews here, I agree with the majority of the comments I see: old and quaint, perfectly in character with old NOLA and perfectly located midway between the craziness of Bourbon Street and the commotion of the Decatur Street shops and restaurants (two short blocks in either direction). A charming courtyard, tasteful though not lavish Victorian trim and decor throughout, a famous and fabulous croissant shop directly across the street, and an elevator that is a memorable experience in itself!

I did not encounter the musty smells, peeling paint, or any plumbing problems that some others have mentioned; my sense is that in a structure this old that has no doubt been remodeled and altered many times, there are bound to be significant differences between individual rooms. As quaint as the decorating and fixtures are, some could use a little more TLC, for example a balcony doorknob that was ready to fall off (hey, two minutes with a screwdriver!), and lampshades that were not only stained but quite dusty. But overall, the ambiance was excellent, the beds were comfortable, and as others have said, any shortcomings are immediately overridden by the EXCELLENT staff. Barabara and Vince at the counter were the very definition of customer service, and the houskeeping staff was efficient and discreet.

I had a great time in NOLA and I would absolutely stay at the Villa Convento again.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms face either the street or the charming little courtyard, street side will be noisier...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MidnightSon
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I just want to thank the staff at Villa Convento as everyone was exceptional during our stay last week for Spring Break. I brought my brother and my 12 yr old niece as they have never been to NOLA and I wanted them to experience it and enjoy!! Staying with you all made it even better and I will never stay anywhere else!! I absolutely loved the charm of the room and the courtyard. Also, the convienence to EVERYTHING in and around the French Quarter!! I will be back very soon!! Thank you all again for the incredible hospitality!!!! The Staff was EXCEPTIONAL!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 101 and it has a Queen Bed and a Daybed. It was more than accommodating to our ne...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank TinaWilliams2013
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had been trying to find a cozy hotel in the Quarter for a reasonable price for about a week when a friend recommended this hotel to us. Fortunately, the staff was able to accomodate our stay within less than 24 hours of our arrival. We were instantly charmed by the building's exterior. The hotel had a lot of character, which fit in with the authenticity of the French Quarter. Our room was very intimate, featuring exposed brick and a romantic little balcony. Parking was only a short walk away, and we were allowed to keep our car in their garage after check-out. The staff was exceptionally friendly. We realized we had lost our room key (probably somewhere on Bourbon St.) in the middle of the night, but one of the workers graciously made us another. We were so pleased with our experience that we booked our next trip with them before we departed.

Room Tip: Make sure to bring toiletries!!! The hotel does not provide these!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Abby C
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I am a Canadian lawyer who attended an international conference in New Orleans in March 2013. The hotel was recommended to my wife and I by a member of our family. I was very pleased with the recommendation. The hotel boasts a historic setting in the heart of the French Quarter. Decatur, Royal, Frenchman and Bourbon street locales are literally a hop, skip and a jump away. My conference was at a major conference centre located on Poydras Street and I didn't mind the scenic jaunt in the mornings and quite enjoyed walking by the impromptu jazz bands that are set up on along the streets of the Big Easy. Canal Street is not far away - I am a big man and it was not a long walk. Speaking with colleagues from Canada, America. Australia, Great Britain and Belgium, I learned that Hotel Villa Convento is incredibly competitive in terms of its rate and amenities. Many of my Canadian colleagues reported that they were paying twice as much as I was - to stay at similar facilities within walking distance from the conference centre. Several of these individuals had to leave the conference early - they just couldn't afford to stay an extra night. The hotel is a historic building, erected in the 1830's as I understand it - and it is rumoured to be the "House of the Rising Sun" (made famous by the 1960's hit of the same name by The Animals). You might notice that many horse-drawn buggies and walking tours stop by the front of the hotel to make this very point. Some people might not like that the hotel has a "lived in" feeling to it - but the building is almost 200 years old and that "patina" comes with the territory of historic buildings. This is not your average pre-fabricated hotel building. The complementary parking off-site was a major plus. I enjoyed the courtyard/fountain in the centre of the hotel - which is an island of peace in a bustling city like New Orleans. My hotel room had access to a balcony and I enjoyed looking out on the City and nearby Convent from my perch. There is an elevator - but because I ate a lot of rich Cajun cuisine - I elected to take the stairs as a form of self-imposed exercise. My colleagues reported that parking was an additional fee at their respective hotels in addition to various other "service" fees. There is complimentary coffee in the concierge room and you can also purchase snacks/drinks at reasonable prices from the front desk. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable when it comes to touring around the City and nearby environs. I confess, I did not take their advice on one excursion - and I really regret it - as the locale I chose to visit instead was exactly what they had warned me it would be! So take my advice: take their advice when it comes to possible excursions! A solid hotel experience. If I ever visit NOLA again, I will book a room in this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a four-poster bed and skirt - it's just fun to sleep in a bed with those...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank MrCdnLawyer
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My friends and I decided to take a trip to New Orleans August 2012. I was searching for hotels close to the French Quarter when I found Hotel Villa Convento online. With reasonable prices and a unique set-up, we took the chance. And I'm so glad we did. We have stayed at Villa Convento two times since then. Here's some reasons why I love it... 1) The staff: From the moment I called to book the hotel, the concierge was very friendly and accomodating. They're also quick to fix something (4 girls and lots of hair dryers= blown fuse). I feel like we are even friends with a couple of the employees. Basically, they are just awesome. 2) Price: I've come on big holidays (New Years & St. Patrick's Day) and even then you can find a room to fit your budget if you book in advance. 3) Location: Literally everything you would want to see as a tourist is in walking distance. We park our car and don't see it until we leave a couple days later. (There's a secure parking garage too). So anyway, don't be afraid to steer away from the chain motels and try something new. You won't regret it!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends