WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #94 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“Incredible Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

My daughter and I came there to celebrate her 19th birthday. Barbara and her husband were amazing. They helped with our car, her husband took photos of my daughter and I, and Barbara came to our room to see our outfits. We loved the hotel but most of all, the staff. We will be returning there for New Years.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

My experience was wonderful from the time I made my reservation up to the time I checked out. All of the Quarter hotels were booked, including Convento, so I emailed and asked to put on a waiting list. Warren contacted me immediately and told me he just had a cancellation and put me in a balcony suite for the same price as a smaller room. Barbara was there when I checked in and was there when I left. She gave me a hug good-bye as though I was family. Warren and Vince were there during the evenings and gave me directions to wherever I needed to go. The patissierie across the street serves the best French pastries I ever had outside of France. The French Market and Cafe DuMond are both just steps away. I highly recommend and will make this quaint and charming hotel my "go to" inn every time I'm in NOLA. Again, the staff is courteous, kind, patient, helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: I was in a 4th floor balcony suite - it's supposed to be haunted, but I slept so soundly, I didn...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank janet m
Usa, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We keep comming back to best little hotel in the quarter. It is strategically located 4 blocks from Frenchmen St, 1.5 block from Bourbon and Decatur in a quiet neiborhood. It is across the street from Crossant D'or so your breakfast and lunch needs are met. It as a lovely courtyard area for meeting new friends.
It is impossible what someone wrote about rude staff everyone is extremely friendly - maybe they mistook this hotel for someplace else.
This is an old building with period peice furniture and plumbing do not come if you expect brand new stuff and instant hot water. There are lots of stairs and a very old small elevator.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank sirgorpster
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

All the rooms are different with their own character. We originally booked only a month ahead but were not able to get a room for our full stay due to a big convention in town. But the desk clerk Barbara was wonderful and found us a room for the entire stay. She is so great! There is no restaurant or pool on site but a great French Bakery across the street for a continental breakfast. This was our second visit here and we are very happy about our experience.

Room Tip: Talk to Barbara the best desk clerk there - Warren Campo (from the owner's family) should pay he...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lorne_B_12_12
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Our room was great! We had a great time! Very good location in the middle of everything near Jackson square and the French Quarter. Barbara was at the front desk, super friendly and accommodating. She helped us find everything and made sure we had everything we needed. I would recommend this place to everyone. Very good value and worth every penny !!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Sarah G
South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband, 12-yr old daughter and I stayed at the Hotel Villa Convento for 10 nights in October 2012. Location and price make this the best hotel in the French Quarter. We were in room 103 and paid $125/night plus taxes and $1/day fee during a big convention. The room is accessed from the courtyard, had a queen bed and a double bed, shower/tub with a good handrail for getting in and out. The room had two ceiling fans and a good, working a/c unit. The carpeting was a bit industrial, but had good padding underneath which is nice after a long day of walking to the convention center and back. The room has a window facing a work shed, and a window in the door which is covered, so really, there are no windows to speak of. Morning light does seep in a tiny bit so it's not like you are in a cave, however. You can open the door to the courtyard which is lovely if you are hanging around the hotel, which we didn't. The comforters were pretty (brown, teal) with bedruffles. The shower pressure was good and temp did not fluctuate (plenty of hot water). Shower spray feels like needles, but we fixed that by covering it with a washcloth tied with a hairband. Housekeeping was uneven (missed our room one day), but ok. Room was musty smelling but not terrible. No toiletries except soap provided, but there's an ice machine in courtyard and they sell cans of sodapop for $1 at the front desk. Close to French Market, and good restaurants (Mona Lisa:1212 Royal, Eat! @Dauphine & Dumaine, Angeli on Decatur & Gov Nicolls). Best place for breakfast or lunch: Camellia Grill on Chartres & Toulouse for the food, sitting at the counter and the waiters! The Croissand D'Or is not as good as it used to be, preKatrina). No ghosts in our room, but good ghost tour starts around the block at Flanagan's on St. Philip at 6 and 8 pm. I prefer to stay here for a convention because you'll want to eat in the French Quarter and after dinner you will be just a few blocks away from your bed. This is the real Vieux Carre experience. Front desk staff are good hosts.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank TRS61
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We spent three nights here and found the location to be perfect! Being able to walk around the French Quarter and being able to pop back to your air conditioned room to get out of the crazy humidity was great.

You're literally 5 minutes from Frenchmen which was exactly what we hoped New Orleans would be, great music (both in the bars and on the streets) great food and great drinks.

The staff were extremely helpful and gave us some brilliant recommendations for dinner and nights out off the beaten track.

The room itself will be a disappointment to those expecting a modern Hilton style room but the Convento is perfectly clean and has everything you need including bags of character (often lacking in the aforementioned Hilton rooms).

Finally the free parking was an absolute winner and although its a 5 minute walk once your car is parked up you can forget about it til you leave. From what I gathered during my hotel research in NEw Orleans parking is either non existent or horrendously expensive. Given how much time you're going to be spending in your room (not a lot) in such a cool city, I'd recommend booking here and using the money you save in parking fees on oysters and cocktails!

• Stayed September 2012