“LOVED this place--great location, price, vibe & service!”

Hotel Villa Convento
Ranked #106 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have been meaning to write this review since I stayed in July. This is what I wrote in my trip report about Villa Convento: I had room 302 and LOVED it! It's for a certain type of person though, I think--if you're excited by the sound of my husband's room at the Hilton in the Business District (cookie-cutter) then you might not love Hotel Villa Convento--it's very funky. My husband and I both adored it though, especially the exposed brick wall and the balcony facing Croissant D'Or across the street! There isn't anything but wrought iron separating the balcony from its neighbor so it doesn't really have much privacy, and the building across the street has a balcony, but I LOVED it out there and spent huge parts of the day out there, reading, eating, drinking, people-watching, even though it was REALLY hot! I love that you can see into the Beauregard-Keyes House garden across the street, which is supposedly haunted. The elevator is also super-funky (200 years old, floral-padded and only fits 2 people) and I loved it, but I did try to take the stairs for the most part! The inner courtyard is cute and the way some rooms open onto it reminds me of Armistead Maupin's Barbary Lane. The people who work the front desk are super accommodating and nice and we will most certainly stay there again!

Room Tip: Get a balcony room for sure--we loved 302!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 6, 2012

When we first arrived we did notice that the room smelled a little musty, but just assumed it was from being closed up. It got better the longer we stayed. Don't know if we just got use to it or what.There is free parking but the parking is about 6 to 8 blocks away. We did have a couple of issues while we were there. Both my son-in-law and my husband got locked in the bathroom and we couldn't get the door open. Got my son-in-law out within 10 minutes or so, but took two employees and 38 minutes for my husband to be freed. No central air only window units and our stopped working the last night we were there, but even with these issues I would stay here again. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the location is great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Our stay here was perfect- great location- and the staff is super friendly and helpful.Vince was very helpful with places to eat etc... If you're looking for a hotel with charm and charcter this is the place for you! We will be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a family ask for a loft room
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank cristionas
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is my second time to stay here and I cannot say enough good. Very clean rooms, the staff is just the best, most helpful and accommodating. If you are looking for a new modern look then this is NOT the place for you. The hotel is very old but quite charming and well cared for, the courtyard is just darling, The price is excellent. I will not stay anywhere else! Very close to everything, very secure, prices are excellent.
R. Norris

Room Tip: 103 in the courtyard
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rhonda N
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I will start by saying that if you are looking for an "up to date" hotel with all the amenities, go somewhere else. If you like old places, appreciate character and don't mind a little patina and peeling paint this is the place for you.
The rooms are all different and definitely clean although sometimes a little tired. The beds are very comfortable and the comforters were updated and clean as well. Some of the rooms have wonderful views and others open on to the courtyard, which is a nice place to relax when you just can't walk anymore. The hotel is far enough away from the action to be quiet, but an easy walk to everything important in the Quarter. The old elevator is an experience for sure, and sometimes has a mind of its own. Speaking of experiences, if you are lucky, one night you might get a visit from some of the spirits that benignly "haunt" the place.
The staff are wonderful, especially Vince who is proud and happy to share the history of the place, and quick to recommend good places to eat or call you a cab.
I love this wonderful old place and plan to stay on all my return trips to New
Orleans!

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank caryalexandraj
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Vincenzo is the concierge extraordinaire!! Hotel is awesome in so many ways. If you are looking for something in the French Quarter walking distance from everything, this is your place!!!

Xoxo
Julie, Felicity & Wade

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Atljulie7
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Yes the rooms are bit run down. "Grandma" the elevator reminds me of a padded cell and who knows if it will make it to your floor. Would I want it any other way? No. If you want fancy go somewhere else. Perhaps in some other city I may not be so pleased with this place but in New Orleans Villa Convento just seems to work. Vince, one of the front desk staff was so helpful and has a truly encyclopedic knowledge of the city and excellent taste in terms of recomending places to visit and eat. An added plus is a great breakfast place right across the street. Its location makes it quiet at night too. If you are looking for a well priced, convenient place and can forgive the slighty run down aspects of the place, I strongly suggest giving this hotel a try. I'm only sorry my room wasnt haunted. I cant wait to come back to this amazing city and another stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Upper front rooms with balconies
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo