The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #22 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We arrived at The Roosevelt, Confirmation in hand, at 6 PM only to find that there was not a room ready for us. We were asked to wait, along with our luggage, in the lobby for "fifteen minutes or so". We noticed at that time that the lobby somewhat resembled an airport that had been shut down due to inclement weather. People were all over the lobby with their luggage awaiting a room. After 20 minutes we returned to the counter to check and were told that it would be "about another 20 minutes or so" before our room was ready. When we asked what would have happened had we arrived at the 3:00 check-in time and we were told that we "most likely would have had a room". So what does this mean? Even though we gave them a credit card to "confirm", thus the term "confirm" our room they seemed to have given it to someone else. We finally settled for a Queen Room even though we had reserved a King. On the second day of our stay, Maid service arrived promptly at 4 PM! (The hotel did compensate us by slipping a letter of apology under the door of our room?)
As it turned out, several people attending the same Reception we were, had the same problems with rooms not being ready. Then the evening after the Reception one couple went, Confirmation in hand, to check in and were told they did not have a room and no rooms were available. They were from out of town and had to drive the 70 miles back to their home that night. The only reason for all of these problems can be overbooking.
We were looking forward to our stay at a Historic New Orleans hotel with a great reputation but were very let down. We will not be staying there again.

3  Thank Ggauntann
Write a ReviewReviews (4,033)

Reviewed November 8, 2010

Roosevelt has great ambiance. You feel 1940's Orleans as it were fresh and new. My King Suite room was on a low floor with no view even though I requested a high floor with a view. I went down to complain and see if I could be switched, but the front desk seemed overwhelmed so I figured I'd just deal with it. Needless to say, I began my stay a bit on the negative side. The sheer comfort of the room, bed, and shower won me over. By the first day I was comfortably at home in my low floor room. I was disappointed that there was no coffee maker in my room...but all in all that is minor. I would highly recommend this hotel and stay here again. Note: great hotel bar and coffee shop! Very close to Bourbon Street, but far enough away so that you don't feel on top of the 3am action and noise.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Where do I start??!!! On first impressions you cannot fail to be impressed with what welcomes you to the Roosevelt. The lobby is everything you would expect from the Waldorf chain... but that is where it ends. We were in New Orleans for my partners 40th birthday so definitley wanted a relaxing luxury break. Second day, after the first shower buzzer in the room went.... apparantly underneath our room had flooded. We wern't asked if it was inconvienient for us not to be getting dressed and ready to go out we had to sit there in limbo chasing the workmen to find out when they were coming back so we could get dressed. The champagne we had bought for that night remained unopened. 90 minutes later the workmen finished, leaving us pondering how to salvage our plans.
Day three... we awoke to a few ants in the bathroom... a bit worrying but we put it down to the work that had been completed the previously day.......UNTIL we opened one of the draws in the room to find it crawling with ants, (along with the second bed in the room). My partner decended on reception to complain... we were moved to a second room. As I started to pack up our stuff I heard the yell from the new room where my partner had dicovered a MASSIVE cockroach in the bathroom. Once again back to reception to aske to be moved room... which they did but to an inferior room! An offer to pick up our bar tab was turned down by us as we thought we at least should talk about this with the manager...who was suddenly unavailable, (more of which later!). They eventually sent someone up to deal with the cockroach, (again after us chasing them), by which time we had wasted another morning faffing about in the hotel. We have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world, (and some of the worst!!) and this is not what we expected from the Waldorf chain for what we were paying per night. Later that afternoon by the pool, (NB which was also filthy, complete with dirty mark all around it, cigarettes butts floating and a jacuzzi that didn't need bubble bath as all the scum frothed up lovely!), we happened upon the manager who knew nothing about our complaint, (not what the man in reception said who had told them.....). She promised to call us later that day to talk about making things right. This didn't happen although our bar tab and a pay-per-view movie, (about $50) had been taken care of.
By this time we were completly fed up. Even though we were kept up the next two nights by next door, we had no faith in the fact that it would have been dealt with - not a good feeling when you have chosen a hotel based on a reputation.
Positives?? There were two exits and it was right next to all the resturants and bars which meant you didn't have to spend too long in the hotel.

12  Thank walkformilers
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Busy weekend in New Orleans and accommodation was difficult to find, but was able to get last minute accommodation for a King Suite at the Roosevelt for a relatively good price under the circumstances. I would never normally pay as much as for a hotel room as I did here, given that it is basically just somewhere to lie my head at night after a days exploring. Fantastic hotel, great service and comfort. If this hotel is within your price range I would certainly reccommend it.

Reviewed November 3, 2010

There is no dobut that this hotel is one of the most luxurious and beautiful in New Orleans. However, The staff was rude and unfriendly. Check in was at 3pm and we were not able to get in to our room till after 5pm. When I enquired about why the room was not ready the lady at the front desk was rude and offered no sort of apology to make up for their mistake. If I am going to pay the money to stay at The Roosevelt then I expect to be treated with respect.

2  Thank Bullie2
Reviewed November 3, 2010

I stayed at the Roosevelt during Halloween weekend. The check in experience was fast and the staff was great. My room was on the second floor with a terrible view but the room itself was terrific. I had a king room. I was decently sized for a New Orleans king room. I heard no exterior noise and no noise from adjoining rooms, despite the hotel being booked up. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. There was a large flat screen TV in the room and a smaller flat screen in the bathroom, which was nice. The bathroom was very nice. The shower was a walk-in type shower, marble walls with a main shower head, an adjustable wand shower, and two wall-mounted adjustable nozzles for the back, etc.

I found the entire hotel to be very clean with a classy feel to it.

I didn't eat at the hotel or utilize any of the services such as the spa, so I can't comment on that part.

The location is great, too. It is about a block from Bourbon Street on the opposite side of Canal Street.

I did not utilize the hotel's internet. I think it was $12.95 a day, which is probably the biggest turn off that I encountered with the Roosevelt. In keeping with my previous reviews, I refuse to give an excellent 5 rating to a hotel that charges for internet access.

The checkout experience was good with no billing problems.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2010

This hotel is unbelievable. It is beautiful, gracious and historic. I had stayed here years ago when it was the Fairmont Hotel and could not believe it could be any more luxurious now than it was then but it is! The lobby is breathtaking with lots of marble and carpets. The rooms are bigger than I remembered and are elegant and comfortable at the same time. The staff is right there when you need them. We had polite service during our entire stay. And the beds are marvelous. I would reccomend this hotel highly.