“Enjoy the lobby, but stay elsewhere. For now.”

The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #17 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Enjoy the lobby, but stay elsewhere. For now.”
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I was one of the first guests at this recently restored grand hotel, which has been closed since Hurricane Katrina (when it operated as part of the Fairmont chain). The public areas are beautiful, and great food and drink outlets, but "the boiler" broke during my stay and we had no hot water to shower or bathe with until about noon. A 500+ room should have a back-up system! There was also a "r bug" curled up under my sink that the housekeeper didn't notice for two days, which worries me. Staff is really nice and accommodating. Location is also grim, derelict closed restaurants and theatres outside both entrances. Maybe in a few years the neighborhood will bounce back, and the hotel will be running smoothly but for now I would give it a pass.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank BDfromDC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Polish first
houston
Reviewed October 9, 2009

First the positives. The rooms were fabulous. The rates are currently great. The lobby exquisite. Firstly the bell staff was amazing. Their services were exceptional. The guest services manager, Ryan went out of his way and went above and beyond expectations.
The waitstaff also exceptional. Positive, polite and enthusiastic. The location is great and I do see great things in the future for the hotel if it is staff properly.

I had a wedding reception there which turned out really beautiful. The food, the waitstaff the ambiance was perfect. I have nothing ill to say about that experience. The party was fantastic and I do thank the staff for making it wonderful for me and my now husband.

The front desk however is a complete mess. I had a wedding reception there and many of my guests were staying there. They could not find people's reservations. Although I had pre-paid my room several months before arriving to the hotel they charged me for rooms while I was there. Also charged my roommate for another room. We explained our issues to the front desk during our stay several times and they said they would fix the problem. They never did after several discussions and the hotel promising to reimburse. We both ended up disputing it on our credit cards a week after we had checked out of the hotel.

They made one of my guests who had pre-paid a room re-book and pay again giving some stupid reason that they didn't check in on-time.

They had me and my room listed under another guest's name the whole week I was there. I would get keys for this other person's room rather than keys to my own room and phone calls etc. I went down to the desk everyday to tell them to change this to my name and that I was NOT the person that they had me listed under and they never changed it the whole week. Even the day of check out I was handed the bill I think for the other guest b/c it wasn't mine. Even the manager happened to be at the front desk and knew about the mistake the whole week. Nothing...

The manger of the front desk, Treniese, is not management material which may be why her staff at the desk is less than competent. Rather than trying her best to fix our issues, and ensure a positive experience and good customer service, she spent more time projecting blame on her staff at the front desk who were "new" and didn't know how to manage the check-ins. As the manager she should be accepting responsibility and taking care of the issue that had been presented to her many many times. If the front desk staff is new and having problems managing the desk then the manager should be AT THE FRONT DESK, with her staff; training and troubleshooting any issues that may arise. Instead it was all about excuses and no action on her part and she remained behind the scenes except for some phone calls to us that never led to any resolution. After she had told us several times that we would be reimbursed, it never happened.

Also they room was very hot and dry and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. After no sleep at 4am the night before my wedding; I contacted the front desk to explain that there was something wrong with our AC. I apoligized for calling so early in the morning too! The lady at the front desk was terribly rude. She abruptly hung up after stating that she would send someone but that I probably didn't know how to use the thermostat (it's not rocket science). After sending engineering up to the WRONG room he finally came to my room and said that in fact the heating system was on, not the a/c and he had to go into the ceiling of the room with a ladder to change the system. Again, not a big deal had the front desk treated me better. I realize things happen and the hotel is new but if you can't be nice to your customers then you will have none.

I told them they needed to get their act together because a hotel as beautiful as the Roosevelt and who is carrying the Waldorf name should have customer service at the top of their priority list. I also explained to them that the front desk is one of the first services a guest encounters with when arriving to a hotel (aside from the bellman who were great). It is also a center for all other services during a guest's stay. If the front desk leaves a bad impression on your guests then it will leave a bad impression on the entire hotel for that guest. It's one thing to say you may have had a bad waiter one night and the reflection is essentially on that waiter. It's another to say the front desk had no sense of customer service through out a stay. Overcharging a person the way that they did can really be a problem for someone who is on a budget and can't afford to have those kind of mistakes. Also if you can't call the front desk and receive a pleasant voice then who can you call...

I'm going to give it a thumbs down today b/c it was so costly for me and my guests due to mistakes but hope to give it a thumbs up in the future. I think it can correct itself with proper staffing and some customer service training....
Really I am embarrassed as well as the guests at my wedding spent the entire weekend complaining about the front desk and at least 3 others were calling their credit card companies to dispute charges. And I am the one who chose the place with good intentions thinking it would be fun for my wedding guests, instead it was hard for them :-(

• Stayed September 2009
4 Thank pescuban
New Orleans
Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I along with another couple decided to spend a weekend in our own city. The summer special offered at the Roosevelt couldn't be beat so we decided to spend a weekend as tourists. What an experience we had! From the moment we drove up to the hotel we were greeted like v.i.p.s. Everyone went overboard in attempting to make sure there wasn't anything else they could do for us. Check in was a snap and once again we were treated like royalty. The hotel was magnificent. It had just reopened the week before so it was our first glimpse following Hurricane Katrina. It was the same but different. Everything that had been there before was still there only it was so much more beautiful after being refurbished.

The elevator was absolutely the only thing we could find any fault with. There was always a wait and it seemed that only one was working. It was a minor flaw at best.

Our room was absolutely beautiful. The furnishings were like those you would find in some stately home. The room wasn't overly big but it was perfect for 2 people. There was a large flat screen tv, mini bar and small refrigerator in the bedroom and a small flat screen in the bathroom. There was a beautiful large shower with 4 spray heads. Heavenly! You didn't feel like you were in a hotel at all. It really felt like you were staying in someone's home. Since we had only requested a regular room we weren't sure what to expect. Boy were we surprised.

It was very quiet in our room which was right across from the elevators. The bedding and pillows were great and the bed was very comfortable.

The Sazarac Bar in the lobby was like stepping back into history. It was a beautiful and comfortable setting for enjoying our Sazaracs.

The lobby was so beautiful that we sat on sofa's and people watched as we took in the beautiful architecture of the hotel. Amazing!

Since the Roosevelt is only one half block from Canal Street, we were close enough to the French Quarter without being in the French Quarter. We were able to enjoy all of the benefits without all of the noice.

Even the morning we checked out we still had employees bending over backwards for us and asking us to come back soon and really mean it.

We didn't know what a treasure we had in our own back yard. It was an amazing weekend and one that we hope to repeat again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
LBR09
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Absolutely beautiful! They obviously spared no expense with the renovation - this hotel is a gem. The managers and front desk staff tried their hardest to make our stay nice however, the support staff is still developing a good work ethic. We had to ask three times to have our toilet cleaned. The last time, a very nice housekeeper showed up with her cleaning supplies and shook her head. She apologized and said that she had been told that the toilet had been cleaned but could tell that it obviously hadn't and proceeded to clean it to our satisfaction. The whirlpool wasn't working when we were there but the pool was fantastic - on the roof with a nice bar, lounge area close by.
I'm sure that the housekeeping issues will be worked out by the time we visit next and I can't wait - love this hotel!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
aconsumer@cox.net
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel is back in a grand manor! When we stayed, the King Suite was large and opulent but only had a shower. Be sure to ask for a room with a tub if you want one. Parking is pricy at $38/night. The elevators were a bit small and slow. The spa was not yet open. Overall a charming experience if you can get a reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
The Colony, TX
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans has been restored to opulent splendor, reopening this summer after Hurricane Katrina ravaged the city. The location near Canal Street and Bourbon Street is great for visiting the French Quarter. It is a mile or so from the Morial Convention Center, and a $10 cab ride, including tip.
The lobby is stunning, with shining marble, ornate floors, rich woods, and sparkling crystal, large ferns lining the hall like sentries, and the smell of fresh lilies scenting the air. The staff is attentive, formal yet friendly. Check in was quick and efficient. The room was small but well appointed, with a comfortable bed, large flat screen TV, and minibar. The shower was equipped with wall mounted body sprays; however, one of the sprays did not work. Another issue with the bath was the water temperature. It rarely got more than lukewarm, and on Wednesday morning, was downright cool. A colleague staying in the Roosevelt confirmed that their shower was also chilly that morning. A minor issue was the room door lock mechanism. It was a bit sticky. The Sazerac Bar and Dominica have fine dining, with excellent service, both worth a visit. The café is modern, the clerks friendly, the coffee excellent.
The bath and door issues could easily be addressed, making the Roosevelt Hotel very close to the perfect traditional first class hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2009

What a great short vacation, New Orleans is a great place to visit. The people are friendly, the food is just great, Coconut rum mojitos at the Red Fish Grill are to die for.

The Roosevelt is newly rebuilt and is sumptuous in every department. The King Superior room has a hugely comfortable bed, a nice little living area with sofa and large screen TV, (there is even a TV in the bathroom !!!!)

People watch in the Sazerac Bar then indulge yourself with dinner in the Sazerac Restaurant - try the bread pudding, it is to die for.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple