“Great Experience!”

The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #19 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed at the Roosevelt during my bachelorette party and I wouldn't have changed a thing about it! Hotel was great, pool was excellent, and we felt comfortable and well taken care of the entire time. It was a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
2  Thank Katy L
There are newer reviews for The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel

Reviewed June 8, 2014

This hotel is top notch 5-star, classic America hotel... almost feels like you're in a movie (coincidentally, saw a film recently that used the lobby and bar area for several scenes, just can't remember the movie, but it had Morgan Freeman in it! ha).

The location is both good and bad. Good because it's just up the road from the French Quarter and not far from the Super Dome, but the neighborhood is sketchy at best, but then again, so is the entire downtown area. Anyhow, this review would be a solid 5 star had it not been for the location, which is not the fault of the hotel, since it's been around for ages, but the self-parking is across the street and you can't help but have the feeling that you're going to be mugged while walking to the hotel... so if safety is a concern, you can valet for an astornomical amount of cash, but it may be worth it. The hotel is certainly a great stay though!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DoubleOIncognito
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of celebrating our 30th anniversary at the Roosevelt.The king suite was a beautiful room and we were surprised by a bottle of champagne and chocolates which were sent up to us by the hotel management.Also the entire hotel staff from Edward in the Sazerac Bar to Kimberly in the Fountain Lounge and also Sally in the Gift Shop made our stay so enjoyable. Our concierge Don also suggested some awesome sightseeing activities to keep us busy. Can not wait for next year's French Quarters Festival for our next stay at the Roosevelt

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Let me preface this review by saying we have, in the past, been huge fans of this hotel, both for its luxurious facilities and its customer service. We were even married here. But our loyalty was not appreciated on our most recent stay over the May holiday weekend.

Upon check in we were given a room next door to, shall we say, a vocal couple. We could hear their conversation through the walls. We asked to be moved to a quieter room and were told there was only one available, but which overlooked the main street and so would not be quiet. As an HHonors gold member, I asked if an upgrade was possible, and was told that while suites were available, we would be charged $300/night more to upgrade. I asked if they had discontinued a policy of complimentary upgrades where rooms are available, and they said no. Yet I would still have to pay a hefty upgrade fee to get a good night's sleep.

My husband finally went down to the desk, and -- surprise! -- we were given the HHonors gold complimentary upgrade to a quiet room. I am the named HHonors member with the globetrotting points, but it took a man to secure the upgrade.

That being said, the room was well furnished, spotlessly clean, and the bed very comfortable. Housekeeping was exceptional and always very friendly.

We encountered another problem on the day of our cabana rental. I have an email from the catering staff stating that our rental began at 10:30. We arrived at the pool deck at 10:30 (well after the pool opens), and there was no staff to be found for us to check in for our cabana rental. I called the front desk and they assured someone would be right up. We waited for 45 additional minutes....my husband even picked up breakfast from around the corner and we finished it....and still no staff appeared. We walked down to the front desk, and finally they paged the catering manager. He walked us up to the cabana and seemed surprised no one was around. Literally no one. He assured us so-and-so would greet us when the pool bar opened in 15 minutes.

She did deliver the included fruit tray and take one drink order. Over 6 hours. She took one drink order. We had guests that day and ourselves and our guests had to walk to the bar to place food and drink orders. This would have been fine if that was the service level communicated and compensated for, but at the end of the day when I closed out the cabana tab (which was separate from the food and drink tab), I was charged an 18% gratuity FOR THE RENTAL OF THE CABANA. I would not have objected at all had I received even mediocre service. But I received NO SERVICE AT ALL, ALL DAY. I had the gratuity removed.

We had noticed slipping service on our last stay but had hoped it was an anomaly. Apparently not so, which is sad because this is a beautiful grande dame of a hotel in New Orleans, with historical significance. After the brazen entitlement attitude and refusal to even acknowledge loyalty and uphold customer service, we will try elsewhere on our next visit to New Orleans. As an SPG Platinum, we'll likely give the Westin a try. I will foresake decor and pomp for solid customer service and appreciation.

Room Tip: Be persistent with the management because they have forgotten basic tenets of customer service.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Amy P
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Roosevelt on June 6th through the 8th. All of the staff were kind and accommodating. The room was beautiful as you would expect. Poolside for two afternoons the atmosphere was young, hip and fun! There was a wedding on Saturday night and it felt like the whole hotel was able to participate as the brass band escorted the newly weds through the hotel lobby! How exhilarating!! Highly recommend this hotel for future New Orleans vacationing!!

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This property was excellent in all areas. We stayed for 2 days while visiting New Orleans and have to say this was nothing but first class!! From the Front Desk to the Housekeeping everyone was extreamly friendly and understood what service is about.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Dramsay
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Great staff and very accommodating atmosphere, thank you. I will stay in this hotel every time no questions asked. I love the location and the whole experience. Staff makes you feel welcome and are always smiling. I really enjoyed my time there.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple