“Great 30th Anniversary stay”

The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #19 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of celebrating our 30th anniversary at the Roosevelt.The king suite was a beautiful room and we were surprised by a bottle of champagne and chocolates which were sent up to us by the hotel management.Also the entire hotel staff from Edward in the Sazerac Bar to Kimberly in the Fountain Lounge and also Sally in the Gift Shop made our stay so enjoyable. Our concierge Don also suggested some awesome sightseeing activities to keep us busy. Can not wait for next year's French Quarters Festival for our next stay at the Roosevelt

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Let me preface this review by saying we have, in the past, been huge fans of this hotel, both for its luxurious facilities and its customer service. We were even married here. But our loyalty was not appreciated on our most recent stay over the May holiday weekend.

Upon check in we were given a room next door to, shall we say, a vocal couple. We could hear their conversation through the walls. We asked to be moved to a quieter room and were told there was only one available, but which overlooked the main street and so would not be quiet. As an HHonors gold member, I asked if an upgrade was possible, and was told that while suites were available, we would be charged $300/night more to upgrade. I asked if they had discontinued a policy of complimentary upgrades where rooms are available, and they said no. Yet I would still have to pay a hefty upgrade fee to get a good night's sleep.

My husband finally went down to the desk, and -- surprise! -- we were given the HHonors gold complimentary upgrade to a quiet room. I am the named HHonors member with the globetrotting points, but it took a man to secure the upgrade.

That being said, the room was well furnished, spotlessly clean, and the bed very comfortable. Housekeeping was exceptional and always very friendly.

We encountered another problem on the day of our cabana rental. I have an email from the catering staff stating that our rental began at 10:30. We arrived at the pool deck at 10:30 (well after the pool opens), and there was no staff to be found for us to check in for our cabana rental. I called the front desk and they assured someone would be right up. We waited for 45 additional minutes....my husband even picked up breakfast from around the corner and we finished it....and still no staff appeared. We walked down to the front desk, and finally they paged the catering manager. He walked us up to the cabana and seemed surprised no one was around. Literally no one. He assured us so-and-so would greet us when the pool bar opened in 15 minutes.

She did deliver the included fruit tray and take one drink order. Over 6 hours. She took one drink order. We had guests that day and ourselves and our guests had to walk to the bar to place food and drink orders. This would have been fine if that was the service level communicated and compensated for, but at the end of the day when I closed out the cabana tab (which was separate from the food and drink tab), I was charged an 18% gratuity FOR THE RENTAL OF THE CABANA. I would not have objected at all had I received even mediocre service. But I received NO SERVICE AT ALL, ALL DAY. I had the gratuity removed.

We had noticed slipping service on our last stay but had hoped it was an anomaly. Apparently not so, which is sad because this is a beautiful grande dame of a hotel in New Orleans, with historical significance. After the brazen entitlement attitude and refusal to even acknowledge loyalty and uphold customer service, we will try elsewhere on our next visit to New Orleans. As an SPG Platinum, we'll likely give the Westin a try. I will foresake decor and pomp for solid customer service and appreciation.

Room Tip: Be persistent with the management because they have forgotten basic tenets of customer service.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Amy P
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Roosevelt on June 6th through the 8th. All of the staff were kind and accommodating. The room was beautiful as you would expect. Poolside for two afternoons the atmosphere was young, hip and fun! There was a wedding on Saturday night and it felt like the whole hotel was able to participate as the brass band escorted the newly weds through the hotel lobby! How exhilarating!! Highly recommend this hotel for future New Orleans vacationing!!

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This property was excellent in all areas. We stayed for 2 days while visiting New Orleans and have to say this was nothing but first class!! From the Front Desk to the Housekeeping everyone was extreamly friendly and understood what service is about.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Dramsay
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Great staff and very accommodating atmosphere, thank you. I will stay in this hotel every time no questions asked. I love the location and the whole experience. Staff makes you feel welcome and are always smiling. I really enjoyed my time there.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This property is one of those oldsy worldsy type hotels which upon entry into the grandeur of the lobby, you feel you've been teleported to the Golden Era of the 1920's. The lobby is stunning with all of the gold gild and columns which is has to be one of the most luxurious looking lobbies in any hotel, in any city in the world.

Upon arriving at the check-in desk, I was greeted by a really professional young lady who acknowledged my HHonors Diamond status and upgraded my room to a Luxury Suite on the 10th floor which was terrific. The only bad thing, my wife wasn't there to enjoy it with me. The suite had 14' ceilings and was decorated in old world charm that any interior decorator would admire. Huge marble foyer and even a larger marble bathroom which is simply stunning.

The food at the Italian restaurant, Domenica, was good and a bit eclectic and has a flair which translates into chefs trying to be too fancy, but it was good, not great. The service was slow, the restaurant is louder than loud, likely because of the very high ceilings which is not conducive for anything other than echos.

The bell staff were AWESOME. From the welcoming bellman/valet to the gentlemen who escorted me to the suite, all were exemplary and consummate professionals, which any hotel would be fortunate to have in their employ.

There may be one other hotel in New Orleans that would offer a higher quality stay, but do yourself a favor and stay at the Waldorf=Astoria Roosevelt Hotel. One very odd item which will always stand out in my mind, the width of the hallways to my room. Amazing, I'm so used to the confines of newer hotel hallways, having about 10 feet wide hallways seems so out of place but a welcome change. Loved it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite and even if you don't, stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Roosevelt in New Orleans for 5 days last week, expecting a high quality of product and service given the Waldorf ownership and our $550/night hotel room. We were extremely disappointed. The hotel was NOT service oriented. We inquired about laundry services, they transferred us to 4 different people, none of whom were helpful at all, and we ended up going to a laundromat to do the laundry ourselves. The concierge was very unhelpful with every request. The sofa bed which we were told upon booking would be very comfortable was completely uncomfortable, like a cot you would sleep on in a prison. We booked this room because there were 2 of us and it had 2 separate rooms, one with a bed and one which was supposed to be a very comfortable sofa bed. The hotel room rug was dirty, and the whole room seemed old and outdated. My TV only worked half the time. We had to pay for WiFi, by the day, which I have never experienced in a hotel of this price point and caliber, and though I paid for the service, I could not connect to the internet. The only reason I did not give this a "terrible" review was the Sazerac bar and the Domenico restaurant, both of which had great service and quality. I will not return to this hotel, and because of this stay I will not stay at another Waldorf property. They need to up their game to stay competitive in today's luxury hotel market, without question.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends