“Horrible Service”

Ranked #17 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Jackson, Mississippi
“Horrible Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

I am a silver Hilton Honors member and always try to stay at Hilton properties. I can honestly say this is the worst experience I have ever had at a Hilton property. I was rudely informed during check in that I could not even be considered for an upgrade because my level was not high enough ( just say you do not have availability). I asked to print some tickets out in the business center and was told it would be a $25 charge. I politely asked the concierge to assist me since I was by myself with 3 small children and he would not help me. Later I had dinner in Teddy's Cafe in the hotel with my 3 children and had my ipad stolen in the restaurant. After the initial contact with security to report the incident and look at the security tapes I was never followed up with again. I spoke with the manager the next morning and begged him to follow up since they could clearly see the person stealing my ipad but he just looked at me with a blank stare and I have yet to hear from anyone at the hotel despite my numerous attempts to follow up. Did not offer to comp our room, dinner, anything. Honestly the security at this hotel is much less than the Ritz or other hotels I have stayed at in New Orleans. About the only good thing I can say is that the Christmas decorations were beautiful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank MCB0203
TheRoosevelt, Front Office Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear MCB0203,

Thank you so much for your recent stay with us and taking the time to speak with me briefly about your stay. It is our goal that all of our guests depart with a yearning to return and when that expectation falls short, we appreciate knowing how to improve for our future guests. Rest assured that our Security Team is amongst the best in the business and takes a great deal of pride in what they do including the scenario mentioned during your stay. Im sorry that you felt that this was not the case, but we will continue to work with you in anyway possible. We hope for a positive outcome and that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Pros:
Location
Sleep Quality

Cons:
Expensive
Crowded

We stayed one night in December of 2013.

Parking was hectic with valets running all over the street. The valets were attentive, but needed some extra help.

Check-in was quick. There is no dedicated Hilton Honors check-in counter, but that's not a big deal. We were met by a cheerful desk agent and she outlined the additional amenities that came with our stay. We were upgraded from a standard king room to a superior king room. The lobby is beautifully decorated and a ton of people were taking pictures and crowing the lobby area.

Our room was beautifully appointed, but oddly laid-out. The difference between the standard and superior room is the size of the main room and the addition of a sitting area. However, the TV is in the sitting area, about 20-25 feet from the head of the bed. The bathroom was very nice, but small. The four-head shower was a fun novelty, but didn't add any special value to me.

The best part of the stay was the AWESOME night's sleep. The room temperature was perfect. The pillows were high quality. The linen and comforter were perfect.

The Sazerac bar was loud and crowded. The bartender was helpful and mixed very nice drinks. We could barely hear ourselves talk, so we made our way out into the city.

The hotel held our luggage until late in the day after check-out so we could explore the city. Valet and bellmen were incredibly busy, but were doing their best to keep up with everyone.

Overall, I was impressed with the accommodations. The total price was quite high, but you expect that when staying at a W-A property. Again, I'd gladly pay extra at any other hotel to have the quality of sleep I had at the W-A.

Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

This hotel is such an institution. It's been around for decades, but recently reopened after a major renovation. It's like walking back in time when you enter the doors. You'll feel like it's 1957 again. It's great. The lobby is wonderfully decorated around the holidays and the rooms are well detailed and spacious. Another perk to this hotel is the wonderful bar (Sazerac) and restaurant (Domenica) that are on the hotel grounds. Sazerac is such a cool bar that serves mean drinks and the food at Domenica is world class. I can't say enough about this wonderful hotel. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Port Saint Joe, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

In the gift shop there were theme trees, one LSU, Saints, etc. The entryway was a glorious display of lights. We had planned to sample a samara drink at the bar but it was so NOISEY we left. Several wedding receptions, football fans and Christmas light viewers!! Suggest you to during the day when most folks are at work. We were told it took 14 people to decorate and I don't doubt it.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Pace, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

We have previously stayed at the Riverfront Hilton when visiting New Orleans, but decided to try the Roosevelt after reading the excellent reviews on this site. We were not disappointed and plan to return on our next visit. As mentioned in previous postings, every staff member we encountered during our stay was smiling, polite and extremely helpful - with one exception that I will later address. The hotel is gorgeous - and I don't use that word often. The lobby was beautifully decorated with lights, garlands, Christmas trees and bows and smelled of pine. Wonderful! We enjoyed watching groups of families and friends taking their annual photos with the lobby and gingerbread village as back drops. Our room was spacious, clean and relaxing. However we had some difficulty using the multi-headed shower that did not appear to work properly. During our stay we had breakfast at Teddy's and after dinner drinks at Sazarac. Wait staff were attentive and professional. We are looking forward to returning to the Roosevelt. I did briefly interact with a "prickly" individual in the Gift Shop (she was possibly a manager or supervisor) but found that experience to be an exception to the otherwise impeccable service at the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was located on the 10th floor on the inside "court yard" of the hotel and was ver...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ellen B
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I love everything about this historic hotel. The location is fantastic--close to the French Quarter but not too close. The staff members I met were polite and helpful--especially Randy, the best bellman/valet ever. He'll grab you a cab and also tell you all the places to eat and hear music.

The food was delicious. And I haven't even mentioned the gorgeous chandeliers and furnishings of the main floor or the comfortable, well-appointed suites--even the bathrooms are fabulous.

Yes, it is not a cheap stay, but if you want to splurge, this is the place. True Southern comfort in a beautiful setting. The meeting areas are the only downside--the space is a little chopped up and some of the breakout rooms were pretty small, but in terms of the stay itself--spectacular.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WestCoastNomad
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

Had to have an unusual trip to Baton Rouge to peruse a business opportunity. Cut it short, and serendipitously stayed in NOLA for a long weekend, The Roosevelt. The historical attraction of the interior, is matched by the service of all the staff. The room was clean, comfortable, well designed, and quiet. Wife loved the bathrooms. The Sazarec Bar was great, and we went on an eating odyssey, mostly in the wharehouse distrect. We also has some great moments at Dominica.
The rooms can be pricey predicated on economic scale, (thus the avg rating on value) but if you have the means, it is a great value for location, service, design, amenities and peace of mind. We will stay again on our next trip to make it easy in "The Big Easy"

Room Tip: Tower away from the Church for a peaceful night
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business