The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #21 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
California
“Stunning”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Thanks to reviews on trip advisor we booked The Roosevelt New Orleans, and glad we once again trusted the trip advisor community. This place is absolutely beautiful. The lobby is ornate, the concierge so helpful, the room well appointed and bed very comfortable. This hotel is located just off Bourbon street, making it convenient for exploring the music and festivities of the dynamic city.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: We always try for upper floors.
3 Thank Paulajeanne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2012

After a great stay at the Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles we made the mistake of assuming this hotel is similar - they are unrelated. The lobby is beautiful, our standard queen room was tidy but small and hammering in the pipes made it a little noisy when other guests were using their shower. Incidentals are expensive: $15/day for internet, $40 for parking and when a package was mailed to me I was surprised that not only did no one tell me it arrived but I was charged a $10 handling fee after I asked whether something had been received for me. Other hotels have brought packages to my room with no charge at all. Area immediately surrounding hotel is nothing special, but French Quarter is only 2 mins walk as is the streetcar. Tip: There are 2 entrances to hotel. You can park at 145 University Place for $15/day, it's just over the road from the University Place entrance to the hotel.... much cheaper than the hotel valet parking which others have reported can be slow. I'd recommend this hotel only if the elegant/historic lobby is of particular interest and cost is not an issue. We enjoyed New Orleans but will stay elsewhere next time.

5 Thank pukeko1
Singapore
Reviewed November 17, 2012

At the time of writing the Roosevelt is rated No. 2 amongst Tripadvisor hotels in New Orleans, which was the reason I booked it. However, after being in New Orleans for a day, I rather wished I had booked one of the hotels on Bourbon Street itself, even though only 10 minutes walk away. Although stylishly decorated, the room is small and a poor contrast with the spacious and well appointed room at the Memphis Westin where I stayed immediately prior, at half the price. As I write, at 4.30 pm, housekeeping has only just turned up to make up the room, which seems somewhat late.The Room Service Menu is limited and, whilst the prices are not unreasonable, the compulsory addition of a 20% service charge plus a $4.00 delivery charge is jarring by my European and Asian standards (why can't all this just be factored in to the posted prices?) Against these negatives, however, I found both the Reception and Concierge to be helpful, patient and understanding, the Sazerac Restaurant and Bar to be stylish, and the entire large lobby area to be an aesthetic delight.

4 Thank rogerhSingapore
Montague
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my two nights at the Roosevelt. Staff were kind and helpful. The location is within walking distance to the French Quarter. The convention center is very close; it may also be within walking distance, just didn't go in that direction. Meeting rooms were very nice. The room was exceptionally clean. The bathroom was lovely, furnishing very comfortable, as was the bed. I agree with previous reviews that the bed was exceptionally comfortable. I appreciated having access to good coffee, lighter meals as well as dining on site, helpful concierge service, and staff ready to assist with late night arrival and very early departure (4 am, OMG!). I enjoyed the minibar because I am a frequent traveler and want to have a few options beyond room service and having to dress to go out. I would definitely consider staying here again. Note: I typically stay in hotels better rated by Trip Advisor. I rate according to how a hotel advertises itself, not comparing, for example, an airport hotel to a resort property, but rather an airport hotel to what I expect from an airport hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Markey2
Woodland, California
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at The Roosevelt for a family wedding. We had a lovely time. We stayed in what I believe is called a King Superior and was similar to a junior suite like in other hotels. It was quite spacious and the furnishings were very nice. We ordered room service one night and it took a little bit longer than anticipated but I think that it was because the entire bridal party was also ordering food!! This hotel is expensive but if you are looking for a splurge this is the place to stay! It is also very close to everything. Staff is impeccable too! The wedding was also at the hotel and it was just fabulous. If you are looking for a wedding venue in New Orleans I would definitely look into The Roosevelt.

2 Thank HurricaneKat23
California
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Just spent a week at the Roosevelt.

Pros: fabulous location--quiet but within easy walking distance of the action
Beautiful lobby and rooms
Sazerac makes some great cocktails
Wonderful recommendations by concierge
Luxurious robes, slippers, bedding

Cons: charge for use of Internet? I just can't understand a $15 charge per device...I think per day...we refused to pay this. What are they thinking? Makes you feel like they're trying to rip you off when you're paying for luxury.
Housekeeping was inconsistent--didn't come one day until we called after 4:00

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuperTouristaOne
Atlanta
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I believe I've stayed here about a dozen times since the Roosevelt reopened in 2009, and I probably have not stayed in the same type of room twice. That's the fun of staying in a historic hotel, but if you find a room type you like, you may not get it again if the hotel is full. Such was the case this time. I had superior room 10202, and it was about 50% smaller than the last superior I stayed in - a room ending in 16. Not a big problem though. I still love the beds, the doors close quietly, and the halls are quiet. This was the first time in all my stays, though, that I did notice I could hear the conversation next door through the walls as I was doing work in the afternoon. Luckily, my neighbor went to sleep. I also noticed this time that maintenance needs to step it up a bit. The top and sides of the bathroom door frame had visible rust, and there was a big chip in the bathroom art picture frame. Of course this affected my stay in no way, but little things will add up over time, and I want the management to keep this the jewel it is. I love coming back to the Roosevelt and consider it my New Orleans home.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool are very quiet. The rooms facing Barone St. can be noisy from traffic...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business