“Great old fashioned hotel, whether 5 star or not”

The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #21 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Champaign, Illinois
“Great old fashioned hotel, whether 5 star or not”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I just stayed 2 nights in the Roosevelt Waldorf in New Orleans, and had a wonderful stay. The hotel is old fashioned (old brass elevators, plished floors, famous bar, etc.), and I would give it a good review for those items alone. However, the rooms were very nicely updated and were quiet as a mouse, so I also slept like a baby (when I ordinarily do not). Nice place plus great sleep equals fantastic stay. I got upgrade to a king superior room, and had asked for a high floor away from the street. They have two interior facing groups of rooms (no good view but quiet), and it was well worth the lack of view. Canal St adjacent to the building (and very nearby Bourbon St) can be very noisy, but I heard none of it. The interior doors and hallways were quiet, and the walls between the rooms were absolutely noise free. My only complaints were that nothing was complimentary (no breakfast, no free business center), but that seems to be the way of big city nice hotels. I stayed at two other NOLA hotels in this trip, and this was my favorite hands down. Whether it was a true 5 star hotel or not is really immaterial. Not sure that any hotel I;ve stayed at qualifies, IMHO. Room was clean and renovated, carpet and bathroom were recent. Hilton Honors member? This is a no-brainer for NOLA. Best of the bunch, no questions!

Room Tip: Get a room that does not face Canal St. If you want quiet, ask for an interior-facing room on a hig...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank James M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

A good hotel in New Orleans. The room was lovely, the staff very proficient, and the concierge good at what they do. We got an email from them a few weeks before we were due there asking if we need assitacnce with any other bookings. That was a nice touch and we did use them to arrange a couple of tours that went well. I'm almost used to the sillness of having to pay extra for things like interent but $16 odd dollars a night is getting a bit out there. No coffee maker in the room which is a pain as I need a constant supply otherwise my system shuts down. The other thing to watch for is because they have the whole doorman, concierge, bell desk, reception thing as seperate entities commuication can break down. The first request for assistance getting the bags brought down at check out didn't get through so that added a bit of time to leaving for the airport.

The restaurants and cafes in the hotel are very good and worth using for their own sake, not just becasue they are close. The hotel is close enough to things like Bourbon St to be easily walkable without having to be on top of them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gonefishingx
BROOKLYN
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Donald and I chose this location because of Expedia's recommendation/suggestion and we were not disappointed! Great location for a luxury hotel, delicious food and full of amenities! Close to many attractions and unlimited restaurants. We traveled the city by bus, trolley car and boat! I was awesome! The musicians are very talented and by night fall the city comes alive! We had a great time here! If you like partying and non-stop excitement then New Orleans is the place to be.

Room Tip: Date is incorrect because the site doesn't allow later than 1 year ago. However, this was my bi...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DANCINQUEENE
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Wow, we usually stay at the Ritz ad decided to give the number one rated hotel a chance this time. Sorry Ritz but we have been stolen away!
Everything here is perfect, the staff is so friendly and helpful but the best thing so far......

I got a massage in the Guerlain spa by a woman named Dee and let me tell you, she will change your body structure. By far the best massage I have ever received and I've had plenty. She knows exactly how to release the tension in tired, sore muscles. The spa is beautiful and spacious, I highly recommend giving them a visit.

Oh and the robes are to die for! Had to buy one!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jenniferteddlieyoung
baltimore
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We checked in on Sunday for my Mother's Bday!!! The hotel upgraded us to a suite. Once we got in our room....."our personal concierge" August, sent a bday cake to my mom!!! Such a nice touch!!! The hotel staff, especially August provided top notch service!!!
The location is great.....Walking distance from some of New Orleans best attractions... The cab ride from the airport is a flat rate of 33 dollars...
Domenica, a John Besh restaurant is phenomenal!!! During happy hour, pizza's are half off!!!
YUM!!!
This was my second time at this hotel, and I look forward to going again and again!!
You will not be disappointed!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kpax5
Atlanta
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Best hotel we've stayed in in New Orleans. It is a very elegant old hotel that has been restored to it's previous grandeur. Service was great too. We had a very comfortable and beautiful king suite. The hotel was convenient to everything. Hope to go back soon!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank marthae
Warren, Michigan
Reviewed October 25, 2012

*I stayed at The Roosevelt because my original hotel, Maison Dupuy cancelled 4 days before my trip. They said it was because of Hurricane Isaac which actually happened 3 weeks earlier. Very poor customer service from Maison Dupuy.
So thru a booking company (same as the one I used for Maison Dupuy) I reserved a room at The Roosevelt. I had to increase the amount of money for the stay by $218.xx + to stay here and the booking co. said they paid a LOT more money as well to make up the difference. (Not sure if that is the fact, though.) This type of hotel is not usually my style and was not what I had in mind for New Orleans. I wanted the boutique hotel in the Quarter...

With that being said this place is gorgeous. Especially the lobby. Tons of marble and granite and gold. Crystal chandeliers and a lovely clock.
I was a bit surprised at the lack of a doorman or bellhop to help with my bags, but I don't mind self help either.
My first impression was I was going to have trouble. At the reservation desk they wanted to hold $100 a day from my checking account as I used my debit card. (I don't do credit cards.) I was staying 6 days so that would be $600. in case of incidentals. I was then told they would just set aside $100 total and if I used that up they would take increments of $100 out my checking account. Seeing as I used nothing else or paid cash if I did, my account was not disturbed at all.

My room, while it was on the small side was nice. The bathroom was lovely with new tile and inlays and 4 shower heads, (only a shower, tho.) a lighted make up mirror, plush towels. They did not offer all the toiletries that some hotels do, the ones they did offer were designer. (I liked the soap and lotion but did not care for the shampoo or conditioner.) The bed was good, bedding extra nice, great robes and even slippers included. They have turn down service with chocolates on your pillow and leave a card with a quote and the next days forecast for you. They supplied an Ipod docking alarm clock, all wooden or satin covered hangers, a safe in the room as well. A large screen t.v in the room but I cannot comment at it as I did not use it ,only the turn down service did to advertise the spa. They offer a mini bar and are very strict about it's use and it is very pricey. They give you 2 bottles of water for your entire stay that are free of charge. There is no way of using the refrigeration of the mini bar for personal use. They also have a spa and spa services I did not employ.
I went to the pool area and it was lovely as well. They have orchids in the center of some of their towels. They have a bar and "cabanas", I guess you'd call them? Little covered areas with patio sofas and and stuffed chairs with a little pay per use mini-mini bars. It was splendid to swim on the fourth floor roof under the moonlight. Just magic. (They have color changing lights in the pool as well.) One night I was not allowed in the pool area as it was closed and the man was rather rude about it, I was just in my street clothes after all. I was only in the pool area to swim 2 x and the jacuzzi didn't work one of the nights.

There is also Teddy's Cafe, Domenica's and The Blue Room in which you can eat. I only tried Domenicas.

On the down side everything else is an additional charge and usually a high one at that. No free in room Wifi. $14.95 to $27.00 a day for in room Wifi if you want it. I just waited until I was elsewhere which was a bit of an imposition for looking into places and for directions. I did think a good portion of the staff could have been friendlier and more helpful.

But it was a treat for me to stay in the lovely and historic surroundings. Something I would not have done otherwise. I am glad I did it taught me a little self worth lesson!! We are all worthy of some extra niceness when possible! Once I got over the "Julia Roberts in" Pretty Woman" pre friendly concierge feeling"

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo