I just got back from a 4 night stay at the Roosevelt and had a great time, I would definitely recommend this hotel (with some reservation if you're planning to stay during the first week of Jazz Fest as I mention below). Most of the previous reviews cover the basics (both the good and the bad), so I'll just list a couple of strengths and weaknesses of the property that I noticed:
1) The hotel is beautifully decorated;
2) Location - it is just across the street from the French Quarter, close enough to get there quickly but away from the madness;
3) My room was very quiet and the beds were comfortable; and
4) The outdoor pool on the fourth floor is very relaxing and a nice place to spend the middle of the day when the temperature starts to get up there. (The Ritz does not have a pool)
1) I was staying during the first week of Jazz Fest. Apparently, each year Zurich (insurance company) holds its yearly corporate retreat at the Roosevelt. They literally take over the hotel and if you don't have a Zurich tag you're treated a little bit like a second class citizen. Last year I stayed at the Roosevelt for the second week of Jazz Fest and the service was great.
2) As stated in other reviews the air conditioning doesn't work too well. The rooms have very high ceilings and it's an old building so I don't know if there is much management can do about this.
3) The housekeeping service is not great. A couple of times we did not receive new towels and the turndown service didn't do much (not a big deal to me but it may be to others).
I'm planning on heading to Jazz Fest next year and staying at the Waldorf. I've had a great time at the hotel and recommend it to my friends. I just hope the Jazz Fest line-up is better during the second week....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Let the good times roll at the rooftop pool, Waldorf Astoria Spa and legendary Sazerac Bar at The Roosevelt, New Orleans. Bask in the glow and elegant history of the huge chandeliers in the grand lobby, and relax in your beautifully upscale room or suite. Experience luxurious Southern hospitality at the historical Roosevelt New Orleans Waldorf Astoria. Our landmark hotel is a short walk to the French Quarter, close to New Orleans nightlife, dining and culture, providing an elegant sanctuary in a vibrant Mardi Gras town. Highlights • Close to the French Quarter, museums, restaurants and attractions • Exclusive Waldorf Astoria Spa • Rustic Italian dining at award-winning Domenica, a John Besh restaurant • Live music and inspiring cuisine at the Fountain Lounge • Seasonal rooftop pool and bar serving cocktails and snacks • Luxurious gifts by local designers in the Emporium Gift Shop The Roosevelt New Orleans is a repeat winner of the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, which is an award given to hotels that consistently earn great reviews from travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waldorf Astoria New Orleans