“Exactly What We Were Looking For!”

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Ranked #48 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed December 6, 2010

My wife and I just got back from an extended weekend trip to New Orleans. The Dauphine Orleans Hotel was exactly what we were looking for. We stayed in the Herman House. It's the separate building with the private courtyard across the street from the main building. From the moment we opened the door to the room, we knew we made the right choice. The room was charming with brick walls and exposed wood-beam ceilings. The king bed was unbelievalby comfortable. The staff was knowledgable and courteous and gave us several dining recommendations. The breakfast was more than ample to start the day before hitting the streets in search of good New Olreans fare. Our package came with two complimentary drinks at the attached hotel bar May Bailey's. The location of the hotel was great. We valet parked at the hotel and then walked everywhere in the French Quarter. You're only a block off Bourbon and few blocks from great art galleries and antique stores on Royal Street. All in all, I would recommend the hotel with "old world charm" to anyone looking for a romantic getaway. We would return in a heart beat. Only one word of caution, the walls are a little thin, which was to be expected in an older building.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 5, 2010

Booked this based on other reviews and we were not disappointed. Great hotel, location, charming courtyard are by the pool, and tempurpedic mattresses. There were only a couple of minuses- the noise on the street side can get pretty loud because of garbage trucks and the bar and breakfast area smell smokey.. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed December 3, 2010

After searching all over the internet, reading other's reviews I chose this one. I am a very picky travellor and to my surprise it was truly a jewel. The staff was superb, friendly and helpful. Right off the bat you felt as if they had known you forever as part of their family.And, let me tell you about the bed!!! It was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. So much that I didn't want to get out of it in the morning. Just like sleeping on a cloud. The day we arrived I requested another bedside table. It was delivered within 15 minutes. The saltwater pool in the courtside was an additional treat. It is just one block off of Bourbon Street but you would never know it by how quiet it was. Do not miss out on this jewel because you will be very glad you do.

Reviewed November 29, 2010

I'm a frequent traveler and have very few complaints about the vast majority of the places I stay - generally thanks to the great recommendations I get on tripadvisor. I always roll with the punches when things are a little off, as every place has its quirks and drawbacks. But I have to note this B&B's problems. We booked a 'standard' room for 2 people on expedia, and it was a dingy, dark room with one FULL-SIZED bed. Not queen, not king, just a full/double. It was absolutely tiny and haven't seen a hotel of this price (or even motels!) have rooms with only one full-sized bed before. The room didn't have a dresser, and was much dingier than showed on the website.

When we asked about this -- extremely politely -- we were told that there was nothing they could do by a defensive manager; she told us the hotel was booked so we couldn't switch rooms, and that we'd have to call expedia about the problem. After we spoke to Expedia and asked to be let out of the 2nd two nights of our reservation at least, so we could find another hotel, the expedia staffer called the Dauphine - and the manager refused to let us out of the reservation. You would think that they would want to keep up a good relationship with expedia, if not us as their guests. The next morning, a much friendlier front-desk worker switched our rooms to one with a king bed for no extra charge (so apparently there was room).

Both rooms were poorly lit, and looked over their parking lot. You can hear every word that the parking lot attendants say , and it is sometimes quite loud when cars go in and out. We ordered a movie on our tv and it didn't work. The hair dryers in the rooms are absolutely ancient and one of them stopped working on me. I called and asked for a new one, but no one came in the 15 minutes I waited, until I had to leave to go to an interview with a half-dried head of hair. The air conditioning switches on very infrequently, so the room would get very hot and then cold for only a little while. The bathroom was not very clean in our second room; there was gross schmutz on the shower curtain and the toilet hadn't been scrubbed all the way. one night we came home and the toilet wouldn't stop flushing! They sent 2 people very quickly to fix it. The stairwell smelled of urine (seriously). And while we were there, the city had a water outage in the area, and there was a 24-hour "boil advisory" (to only use boiled or bottled water). The hotel only stated this advisory in the lobby - they didn't notify all the guests in their rooms or give us a call or anything, so only when I was checking out did I see a flyer at the front desk saying that guests shouldn't drink the water or even shower with it. Some of these things on their own would have been fine, but all together it was pretty bad. It's really unfortunate, but it seemed like they just didn't care if their guests had a good stay or not.

On the good side, the pool is very pretty (though not heated), there's free wi-fi, the folks at the bar were very friendly (and the bar has a nice ambiance), they stored our bags for us with no problem and called us a cab when we needed one. The location is good if you like the Quarter, and it's also a short walk to the Central Business District.

A recommendation: if you do end up staying at Dauphine, make a reservation for a meal at Bayona, the very highly rated restaurant across the street, as soon as possible as they don't take walk-ins when they are really busy.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2010

After much research we reserved a Hermann House room for 3 nights. I'm a light sleeper and wanted a fairly quiet room. Our reservation stated Hermann House Premium King clearly on it. When we arrived, they acted surprised that we wanted a Hermann House room and said that was unavaiable, but they were putting us in a comperable room that would be quiet. Before we were settled we went to the bar to pick up our free drinks and a lovely lady there stated, "I just decided to come down today and they gave me one of the rooms in the Hermann House, I just love it." Unfortunately for us - room 103, where they put us, was over the pool and bar area is the noisiest room in the place and that is where they put us. There wer e3 wedding parties in the hotel and they were in the pool courtyard until 2:30. That is when I called the manager and asked if we could please get some sleep, we had started our day at 6 am to travel. The overflow from the bar continued in the courtyard until after 4 am and you could hear everything that was going on - there was little to no sleeping that night, every time you'd nod off someone would start slamming glassware or talking loudly - it was probably the worst room I've ever stayed in while in New Orleans.
The following day I went to the front desk to ask about a move (the night manager said she would set this up - she lied, seemed to be the trend there). So, I very calmly asked about our move and also stated that we had paid for and reserved the Hermann House and that I did not feel we had a comparable room - I was told "OH no, that room is a class above what you reserved - it has a balcony - so no discount (wait this gets better). Eventually we spent most of our afternoon moving. No-one would help us, we were exhausted, there were no carts available, it was hot and sweaty. We finally got to collapse in our new room around 4:30.
We spent the next 2 nights in room 141 in the Hermann House and it was almost like night and day. Except.....we went to bed early that night - and at 11:30 they moved people in the room above us. At this point we are laughing hysterically because they are "suitcase droppers" It was comical, we'd almost get to sleep and BAM they would drop a suitcase. This only lasted about 45 minutes, but really - it was starting to feel like a conspiracy against sleep! One other note about room 141 - the AC blows directly onto your face on the bed. My DH ended up sick from the constant blowing on his face (too hot to not run the AC).
Our last night ended up being fine, of course the entire trip we were drop dead exhausted which took a lot of pleasure out of it. Then we go to checkout and I find they are trying to charge us an extra $88 for the pool room (remember - it's a class above), they did take the additional charge off, but that took a chat with the manager Sean.
There were a couple of things that were nice about the hotel. The beds are temperpedic and divine, if you can sleep in them. The linens are nice. The maids were some of the nicest people we've ever met in New Orleans and the only reason this is 2 stars instead of 1. The bartenders were pleasant and even when lying to us about the quiet room they were pleasant about it.
We'll stay elsewhere on our next trip, there are many places that you can actually get sleep at night that honor the reservations you make. Oh - and no WiFi the entire time we were there - good thing we weren't on business!

1  Thank jodi_123
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Great little hotel one block off Bourbon Street, excellent location, quiet but close to the action. The beds were extremely comfortable, room was plain but very clean. Beautiful little courtyard area with pool. Breakfast was very good. Bellman was very helpful with recommendations. Would recommend this hotel if you are looking for something smaller that really feels like you are in New Orleans.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2010

After reading reviews and hearing from relatives who are natives, we found that Dauphines Orleans was exactly as advertised, low key, comfortable, and surprisingly quiet while just being one block off Bourbon Street. Keep in mind the side streets between Dauphine and Bourbon are a bit on the dark side at night, though it feels safe. Great location with all the local sites within walking distance.
The room wasn't overly large and lacked a sizeable dresser, but was very clean and the beds were very comfortable.
We loved both the city and the hotel and expect to visit both again in the future.