“Wow. Very Nice. I would stay here again....”

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Ranked #49 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Just returned after spending 4 nights at the Dauphine Orleans Hotel last week. What a pleasant stay!

If you are looking for a hotel in the French Quarter this hotel is extremely well located. You are one block off Bourbon Street and in essence can walk within 15 minutes to any key point in that part of the city you wish.

There are two sides to the hotel - the Courtyard and the Inn side. The Courtyard side is across the street and the doors to the rooms open to the outside like a motel. However the courtyard is very secure, with keycard entry, and each room has charming french doors.

The room was well appointed with a wonderful king bed. I travel quite a bit and would say its one of the most comfortable beds I have slept on. The room had a 20 foot vault ceiling with exposed beams and brick. I thought it was pretty cool. Room had a nice flat screen TV on the wall. The bathroom is well appointed but its worth noting the wash basin and mirror are part of the bedroom. I tend to not like those set-ups but it somehow worked for us. The frig was very handy for some drinks and snacks we bought nearby.

We did try the continental breakfast once and it was fine, if not crowded. Just has the basics - bagels, fruit, juices, milk, and a waffle maker. They did it in the area that doubles as a bar at night.

While we did not use it, there is a small but rather nice looking saltwater pool with lounge chairs. I regretted not using it as again, its seemed quite nice. Also, having the free wifi in the room was nice, as I had brought my laptop.

I should mention there is a wonderful restaurant next door called Bayona.

The caveat of my review is this. Again, I stayed on the Courtyard side. I do believe the rooms are different on the Inn side and I believe the reviews are correct: some rooms are directly over the parking garage and I would perceive that you would want to avoid the 2nd floor rooms, if you can. However, I do not know this from any experience.

Overall, I would highly recommend Dauphine Orleans Hotel. It's comfortable, easy, and well located. Despite being one block from Bourbon Street it was VERY quiet. I would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mjohns7861

Reviewed July 2, 2010

My friends and I stayed here during a ladies weekend vacation and had a GREAT time! If you are looking for a high end hotel with every amenity possible, then do not stay here! However, if you are looking for New Orleans charm, with atmosphere, basic amenities and value, then this is the place for you. I am not sure what all of the bad reviews are about! The continental breakfast included yogurt, pastries, waffles, juice and coffee (what was expected), the rooms were nicely sized for 3 of us (how much time do you spend in the room on vacation anyway), the hotel is the perfect distance from Bourbon street, it is a few blocks from the streetcar stops and within walking distance to everything we wanted to do. If we did want a cab, the hotel staff was there to assist at anytime. We had an incredible time and will definitely return to this hotel the next time we visit New Orleans!

1  Thank Jthomp01
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Loved the front desk people. They gave great dining recommendations and helpful sightseeing tips. Really went out of their way to make it a special stay for us.

We qualified for the "Spring Fling" special rate (Mon-Thurs), which included parking and continental (with waffles!) breakfast. That made it sooo affordable! It also meant that our room was small without a balcony, but that's okay--we were on a budget. The hotel was clean, pretty and quiet, and the bed was comfortable.

Location--perfect! Right in the French Quarter, yet quiet -- one block away from the noise of Bourbon street. Only a short walk to the St. Charles Street trolley stop or to the river. And we walked all over the French Quarter and left the car in the garage.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Wife and I stayed at the Dauphine June 6 - 11. Booked there after researching on T.A. Would have stayted longer than the 5 nights but price jumped considerably Friday and Saturday. Checkin on Sunday around 5:30 pm was flawless. Room very clean and while I had earlier requested a room away from the parking garage we were right above it and never heard a thing all the time we were there. Don't know what others heard or maybe they had their windows open. We didn't as that would have affected the air conditioning.
King size bed with super comfortable mattress and pillows. Lots of towels in the bathroom. Continental breakfast is provided each morning in the May Bailey lounge and includes juices, milk, coffee, selection of tea, cold cereal, fruit, bread, bagels, etc for toasting, and a waffle machine where you make your own.
Courtyard and pool area not large but quite a few lounges and chairs available. We were generally able to get a lounge when we got back to hotel around 3:00 pm. That seemed to be the popular time to take a swim and pick up some rays. Pool isn't large but enough to cool off and do some laps. I could swim underwater from one end to the other. There was a fitness room but didn't check it out.
There is a computer in the lobby area that you can access free to check emails etc.
All the staff we met were very friendly. Only complaint I had was one of our lamps next to the bed did not work. Left a note for the maid but nobody did anything about it. Finally on our last evening there I decided to move the night table out and saw that it wasn't plugged in. Why couldn't the maid have done that?
Checkout as smooth as checkin. In fact when I saw the bill it didn't have any $1. daily surcharge or tax showing and asked. They said our price was a special package because we stayed five nights.
Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobfrombc
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Hotel is one block north of Bourbon Street. There are plenty of great resturaunts and bars nearby. Our rooms was clean, nice, and quite; there were not a lot of kids present during our stay. Hotel is close enought to the night time traffic that I felt safe walking around at night. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definately stay there again.

Reviewed June 14, 2010

Really can't beat the location - just a block off Bourbon on a quiet street. If you're looking for a 4-star hotel with tons of amenities, this isn't it. But if you're looking for someplace clean, comfortable, convenient and affordable, I would recommend considering this place.

The pool is a little on the small side, but in a cute courtyard with comfy lounge chairs. Mae Baily's place is just steps away (accessible from the courtyard) to grab a drink . You'll also get a free drink coupon upon check-in. The rooms are clean and moderately sized - maybe a little on the dark side - but beds are really comfy. Had no issues with the staff and they seemed friendly and helpful throughout the trip; only 1 elevator worked so sometimes a wait.

The complimentary breakfast is nothing outstanding - certainly better options for breakfast in New Orleans - but if you're looking to save money or just need a light bite to get you going, it'll do.

All in all, the big draw for this hotel is location, which can't be beat.

Reviewed June 12, 2010

I have stayed at many NOLA hotels over the years and this hotel is excellent. Yes, the rooms are a little on the smallish side, but all rooms in NO are smaller. Plus this is historic, not built yesterday. Actually its history is part of its charm -- a former bordello inhabited by three resident ghosts. You will even find a copy of the bordello's city license in your room desk drawer. The staff was efficient and the beds were very comfortable. It is a block off of Bourbon St. and within easy walking distance of Jackson Square and the French Market. We walked right around the corner to have lunch at the Jager Haus (very good German food) and then down to the Oceana Grill for dinner. Lots of excellent restaurants within easy walking distance (but that is true all over NO).

Parking is expensive, but no more so than any other major city and their parking is very secure. Speaking of security, if you walk down Conti past Bourbon, you will see the NO police station. There's a sign out front saying you can get a t-shirt inside.Since everyone else in NO is selling t-shirts, why not the police???

They have a colorful, bordello-style bar where you can enjoy a complimentary glass of wine or a pint of beer that is connected to the renovated studio where John Audobon painted his bird pictures. In the morning, a very nice continental breakfast is laid out for guests.

Aw, New Orleans. There is nothing like seeing packs of people carrying drinks down the street at 7:30 in the morning on their way home.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple