“Close but not too close”

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Ranked #41 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Marana, Arizona
“Close but not too close”
Reviewed September 15, 2009

We've stayed at this small hotel on previous occasions and keep coming back.
The price is right, the service personnel are great, the rooms, although small, are well kept and comfortable.
The best part is, you are close to Bourbon St (one block) but not too close. You can't hear the noise, music, shouting or sirens. You are within walking distance to everything in the French Quarter.
The room rate includes an adequate continental breakfast. The off street parking, a must in NO, is pricey, as it is with every hotel.
We enjoy our stay here eveytime.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Hebrew first
playa del rey califormia
Reviewed September 3, 2009

We had a wonderful 3 night 4 day stay at this hotel. The bed was very comfortable and the room was large. The bedding was modern and cute. The room had a flat screen tv as well which was a nice touch, although we did not stay in the room all that much to watch it.

Pros: I really liked that this hotel is 2 blocks away from Bourbon street, because we could go and have a good time, but we could return to our room and have some peace and quiet.

Cons: I agree with other reviewers that it would have been nice to have a fridge in the room. Our room was also over the the courtyard where the garage is. I am a light sleeper, and the sounds of the cars and the people woke me up early.

Overall. I would recommend this hotel. This was my first visit to New Orleans, and it wont be my last.

NYC
Reviewed August 27, 2009

My colleagues and I led 13 kids from our church youth group to New Orleans to do post-Katrina clean up and rebuilding. The adults loved the charm and character of the hotel, the kids loved the pool. What makes the Dauphine special, aside from its great location, is the terrific staff. From checkin through checkout, the desk staff, parking staff, etc., were sterling. Whether recommending local eateries or advising regarding travel plans, the folks at the Dauphine Orleans proved knowledgeable, eager and tremendously friendly. I will certainly return and make this my home in NOLA.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Denver. CO
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Bottom line is, we have few complaints about the place, and would most-likely consider coming back! This is a great little hotel.

We had a late check-in and little choice in room location, so unfortunately our view was a courtyard wall, and it was close to the elevator. That said the room was well-sized, very clean and had a VERY comfortable bed. The bathroom was well updated and stocked with towels and decent toiletries. It was a great place to escape back to after being in the hot summer heat!

Generally speaking, the front desk was friendly and helpful the rest of our stay. The porter staff was great about holding our bags on checkout and ensuring we had a cab waiting for us at a certain time to head to the airport.

The pool area was small but never crowded, and a dip in the pool was a fantastic escape from the summer heat. A tip: if you want something to eat by the pool, you can wander over to Deja Vu across the street and get some food to go. We too, had drink coupons to the hotel bar, but never managed to make it in there. There is a little conveniece store on the street corner that we also gave plenty of business, buying bottles of water.

The hotel location is the real star though. Just a block off of Bourbon Street, the hotel feels like it's in a different quieter world than the craziness just a few steps away. You can dive into as much or as little of the chaos as you want, while being in walkable distance from almost anywhere you need to go in New Orleans.

All in all, we'd stay at the Dauphine Orleans again in a heartbeat. The place is well kept and the quiet location a block off Bourbon street can't be beat. All in all we had a great stay in New Orleans, and the Dauphine Orleans was definitely part of making it such a great memorable weekend!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alan T
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 24, 2009

After many years of reading reviews on Tripadvisor.com, I finally felt compelled to register so that I could write a review after staying at the Dauphine Orleans Hotel on a recent business trip. No quarrel with the location right in the French Quarter, but I would not recommend staying here unless you have very low standards. The website photos are deceiving and make this place look like a nice boutique hotel -- wrong! It is small, but it's a dump. My first clue was the lobby, which is small and shabby. When I checked in, the desk clerk was on the phone apparently responding to a complaint by explaining that the hotel was known to be "haunted." Next clue was having to go outside in the parking garage to take the cramped, dark elevator to my room -- not exactly first class. Once I got to my room I unpacked and lay down to rest, only to be disturbed a few minutes later by a man unlocking the door and walking into my room! When I called out, he hastily retreated saying he thought no one had checked in yet! OK, not good. When I left to go to dinner I hung the "do not disturb" sign on the door hoping to make clear that the room was occupied. When I returned later that night the "do not disturb" sign was gone! Then I went into the room and noticed that the door to the balcony was open! Now I was worried and quickly checked to make sure no one was in my room (not exactly the feeling you want in a hotel room). Having found no one, I made sure the balcony door was securely locked. Was the desk clerk right? Was this place really haunted? No, just scarily bad. That night I could not sleep because of all the noise in the parking garage directly below my room. First there was honking, then loud yelling, then someone decided to power wash the floor of the parking garage at 1am. That was the last straw and I called the desk to complain. By now I was really sick of this place. Luckily I was only there for one night or I would have checked out and gone somewhere else. It didn't help that the key to my room failed to work not once, but twice, forcing me to go all the way back to the lobby in the scary elevator. Both times the desk clerk looked puzzled and said they thought I had checked out. Why is it so hard to know when the guests have checked in or out? Besides all of that, the bathroom in my room did not look or smell clean and had little flying insects in the bath (yuck). I would say this hotel depends on the myriad tourists who are either too drunk or hungover to care about clean bathrooms and secure rooms. One couple I encountered in the elevator early the next morning was having cigarettes and diet Coke for breakfast, which I would say typifies the guest at this hotel. So basically if you need a place to pass out after a night of drinking on Bourbon Street, by all means book a room here. Otherwise steer clear of this place and don't be taken in by the attractive photos on the website.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank SFO2GO
Austin, TX
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We like to stay near Bourbon street, but not directly on it, so we chose this hotel as we had never stayed here before and it is about 2 blocks off Bourbon. We booked a deluxe king room in the Herman House, which is a seperate building across the street from the main hotel. The rooms in the Herman house (especially those on the second floor) are relatively small but are very nice - exposed brick, high ceilings with beams, etc. The room itself definitely felt very old school New Orleans (note that the main hotel didn't appear to have this type of feel - we could see drop ceilings and flourescent lighting. It did appear that the rooms around the pool were old school as well.

The bathrooms are definitely not old school - look more like a remodel occurred in the 80s with no update since. The bathroom was also pretty much filthy when we arrived. The toilet clearly had not even been wiped down (smudges and stains on the rim) and the bathtub still had wet footprints in it from the previous guest. We mentioned this to the desk clerk on duty on our way out for the day and they seemed genuinely surprised and advised that someone would be right up to clean up the bathroom. No such luck. We came back late and the bathroom was still the same - it was clear that no maid had been in our room to do anything. The next morning, we purposely left a small piece of hair on the rim when we went out. We stopped by and mentioned the bathroom situation to the clerk on duty and once again were advised it would be taken care of. Imagine our surprise when we returned and found the exact same problems.

We complained at checkout and the manager who was available then acted somewhat put off by our complaint, actually stating that we hadn't specifically asked for the toilet to be wiped down - Since when is this a special request!?! After 20 minutes of dicussion, we were offered a $20 discount per night and sent on our way.

It is also worth noting that you get a couple beer/wine coupons to the next door bar, which used to be a brothel. Neat place, but once again a bit too much of the 80s brass and glass re-do remains. We asked two different bartenders for food recommendations and got the lamest most indiferent attitude imaginable from both of them. The only staff members with any personality or of any real help were the valets.

If you are looking for a hotel in a location like this with old school rooms, I'd stay at the St. Marie instead. It has the same location (maybe even a bit better for locating after a long night out on the town), also has a pool, has more charming rooms, and has better staff...

2 Thank bigdaddy1000
Gulf Breeze, FL
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Stayed for the weekend in room 237. I booked early and got a rate of $79, when I checked in they offered me a $20 night upgrade to courtyard room in the Hermann House. We took it and worth the money for the King room. The hotel is located 1 block off Bourbon St, a super location and quite at night. You do pay $28 per day in parking. The only thing that keeps this from being 5 stars is the room is smaller than a standard hotel room, but who spends time in the room? The water is SUPER HOT, they have a jetted tub for one. The bed is very comfortable and the AC works, 60 degrees in the room. This hotel will be my first choice on every trip. I have been to NO 27 times and stayed all over town. If you are going to the FQ this is the hotel for two people per room.

2 Thank MayiHelpU