“Beautiful Hotel, Great Bar”

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Ranked #42 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Ontario, Canada
“Beautiful Hotel, Great Bar”
Reviewed April 16, 2005

My husband and I recently went to New Orleans for the first time. I booked through Expedia but used tripadvisor to check hotel reviews. I am quite glad I didn't let a few bad reviews turn me away.
The location is perfect, one block away from Bourbon. Close enough to walk anywhere but quiet at night. Our room was not huge but had all the amenities we required. Lots of pillows on the bed, clean sheets and a desk and table with chairs.
The hotel bar, May Bailey's place, is located on the site of an old bordello. The decor in the bar is in keeping with it's history. Beautiful dark wood and burgundy patterned wallpaper. Both Jeffrey and Amy, the bartenders while we were there, were friendly and helpful with local info.
The hotel staff quickly responded to any need we had, whether receiving my baggage (lost in flight) or giving directions for the streetcars.
Our room was on the 4th floor, near the elevator, which could be a little noisy in the morning but I didn't go to New Orleans to sleep the day away.
Continental breakfast, afternoon tea and bar snacks at "Happy Hour" were all delicious and plentiful.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2005
19 Thank PMedMoe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Hebrew first
Austin, TX
Reviewed March 19, 2005

My husband and I stayed four nights at the Dauphine Orleans. I was concerned before arriving because reviews on Trip Advisor were mixed. We chose the Dauphine because 1) hotel selection was limited due to a conference and 2) we had a tight budget. I was able to get a standard room for $120/night through the Dauphine's website. Our room was in the main part of the hotel, not a courtyard room. Our room was very clean. The bathroom had recently been redone with large marble tile and a jacuzzi tub. Water pressure was good and there was plenty of hot water. Every room has french doors opening up to the outside. Our french doors opened to a brick wall. There was no view, but it was nice to be able to open the doors for fresh air. The front desk staff was friendly. The pool appeared clean. Parking is onsite in a secure garage and is $18 daily. The location of the Dauphine is well located in the french quarter. Overall I was satisfied with the experience, but I would not stay there for more than $120 per night. Nor would I stay there for a special occasion or a romantic getaway. It's a very average hotel.

11 Thank byebyebirdy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 16, 2005

If you can get a room here, and it's in your budget, this is the place to stay. There a numerous amenities I always forget about, little things that make the stay really nice. Like they deliver the newspaper to your door (the Times-Picayune, NOT USA Toady), you get a really nice help yourself enhance continental breakfast (cereal, seasonal fresh fruit, etc.). Also in the afternoon they have "Tea" which is hot bev in winter, iced tea, lemonade in summer for out by the pool. They put out munchies in bar. They also have on-site parking, if you happen to be driving. Don't know how much it is. Also the location is great, one block off of Bourbon, some nice little bars and restaurants etc. very close by.
What they don't have - a huge opulent lobby, a disco, large meeting rooms (they do have one, never seen it), hassles. Check for their special deals, they usually have something. During special events the prices here get really high, but during the "slow" seasons it's a real bargain.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 13, 2005

We visited New Orleans in March 2005. We read the reviews on TripAdvisor and decided on the Iberville Suites. However, we could not get 4 nights at the Iberville. So we decided to book the Iberville for 2 nights and look for another similar hotel for the last 2 nights.

After much looking and reading TripAdvisor comments, we settled for the Dauphine Orleans because it was about the same price, and it looked, at the time, seems to be about the same as the Iberville. It was not!

The Iberville Suites - Great location. We walked the French Quarter from the Iberville with no problems. Very nice room/bed, very comfortable. Staff very friendly. Breakfast is included with hot oatmeal, cook-your-self walfle, yogurt, juices, hot coffee/tea, rolls/toast fruits, etc. In room wired internet access is $13 from midnight to midnight (1 day). I prefer
to have wireless access.

Dauphine Orleans - Great location. Just down the street from the Iberville. Very friendly staff. Breakfast is included (same variety as the Iberville). Afternoon tea and sweet at the lounge from 3PM - 5PM. There is a small pool, but the water was too cold. The air vent in the room we stayed in blows the air directly at the head of the bed. So we had to just turn it off and open the window when sleeping. The bed, the sheets and blanket were of a Motel 6 class. It does not have in-room internet access. But does have free wireless internet access from the office, lounge and pool area.

Since the cost was about the same between the Iberville Suites and Dauphine Orleans, I would expect that they are comparable. But they are not. I would definitely stay at the Iberville Suites again.

I would caution those who may be thinking staying right on, or next to Bourbon street. The street gets very noisy from the evening into the night with lould music from bars and stores and people! Unless, of course, that does not bother you!

• Stayed March 2005
11 Thank FlipViet
michigan
Reviewed March 1, 2005

This was our first trip to New Orleans, so we decided to stay in the French Quarter. It was a very interesting experience. We walked through out the French Quarter before checking into our hotel and were amazed at the stench in the streets -- horse manure, sewage, urine & vomit -- horrible & filthy!!! Needless to say, we were very leary about actually sleeping in such a filthy place.

However, all our fears were for naught! TheDauphine Orleans Hotel was an Oasis in the French Quarter. A Private courtyard in the center of the hotel, with a lovely pool. A very charming restaurant and bar. And, our room was wonderful. Newly renovated, luxurious bedding, and very beautiful. We were thrilled. We'd expected the Hotel to be as filthy as the streets -- not so -- it was lovely & relaxing.

If we ever return to New Orleans (not likely) we would definately stay at this hotel.

One hears of the stench in Venice, however we just visited Venice this fall & never encountered any unpleasant smells. We were amazed at the intense stench of the French Quarter. I literally had to cover my nose & mouth with my coat -- I could not breath. These horrible smells were often mixed with the lovely aroma's of the restaurants -- but, who could eat while smelling the STENCH?? I was truly suprized that the city did not clean the streets & deal with the smell. It was so awful that we couldn't breath walking down the street.

I'm glad we saw New Orleans, it's a fun city. But, very dirty.

• Stayed January 2005
6 Thank esipfle
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 28, 2005

Pleasant surprise. Nice, clean room overlooking street. Only problem was a very slow drain in the tub. Very friendly staff. Continental breakfast very nice--person did a great job keeping it stocked so that everything was available during the breakfast hours. Location is wonderful. Several minutes to Bourbon St. and a short walk to Jackson Square. Just far enough from Bourbon Street to avoid the noise at night. Bar next door a nice alternative when you get tired of the bustle of Bourbon St. Very reasonably priced--If we ever return to the French Quarter, I will certainly stay at the Dauphine Orleans.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 22, 2005

Just returned from a 3 night stay (2/19/05-2/22/05) and overall it was decent. We paid $189 for the Saturday night, and $149 for the Sunday and Monday night. The staff was nice, the location was good.

They have discontinued the local shuttle service, so that was disappointing. When you check in your get a free drink coupon which we did not use. The continential breakfast was fine but pretty crowded the two times we tried to go there.

The room we had was a bit rundown but it was clean, the bed was big. I liked that there was lots of pillows on our king size bed. The room we had was on the 2nd floor and it faced the parking lot, so it was noisy. The room size was good. Nice magazines in the room, TV worked great. Didn't look in the mini-bar. One of the wood knobs on the closet was completely worn down so it fell off everytime you tried to open the closet.

The bathroom was fine, and like another reviewer mentioned, there was not much room to put your tolietries. Our toliet did stick out in a weird way and it does have some exposed pipes.

I wouldn't stay here again but if you have simple tastes or simple requirements, then this might be the place for you.

• Stayed January 2005