“Great location, wonderful room”

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Ranked #42 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great location, wonderful room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Dauphine Orleans for the first two nights of our honeymoon. We got the Rendezvous Package available on their website. We stayed in Room 111, right over the bar, otherwise known as a "bordello room". It was great! The room was big, with a separate living room area, a balcony (sadly, it only looked into an alley), a bathroom with a sink, toilet, and shower, and another bathroom with the makeup mirror and Jacuzzi tub. Room 111 also has a private entryway. We got no bar noise, the maids were great, everything in the room worked like it was supposed to, location was good. Continental breakfast was more than I expected. I cannot say it was an amazing value because of the package price, but we were willing to spend it it on our honeymoon. However, that might not be up the average traveler's alley. The bellboys were fast, I liked the take home library, front desk was helpful. I cannot rate it excellent only because I didn't feel the staff was ready to fall all over themselves helping me, and because it was expensive. I love the place, and will certainly stay there again. I read later in a book that I picked up at the French Market that room 111 was haunted, but we didn't see anything!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2004

I'd actually give Dauphine Orleans a 4.5. Not the Marriot, but neither are its' prices.

My husband and I stayed in the Dauphine Orleans in early October this year. Got a corner suite that was spacious, well stocked with everything we needed. Concierge was helpful and gracious with planning events, then cancelling them because of the rain from a tropical storm. :) Valets were courteous, and vigilant insuring our stay was safe - personally watched them dispel some shady-looking guys from a doorstop across the road. We didn't drive much, but were pleased with their choice of taxi for our return trip to the airport.

Breakfast was always enjoyable and waittresses very polite and helpful. Afternoon tea was a welcome respite from the constant drizzle. The tea room is beautifully painted in Audobon landscapes.

Bartender was amiable and helpful directing us to food stuffs and stayed open late tending to other customers the night my husband and I sat outside under an umbrella reminiscing and getting drunk.

Location is exceptional. 1 block and across the road from Bourbon Street so an easy walk no matter how intoxicated, but quiet because building across the street serve as buffers. About 5 blocks from Jackson Square, 3 blocks from Canal Street. Old bookstore across the street; convenient grocery store 1/2 block away, and wonderful, odd food available at the Louisiana Bistro 1/2 block away.

We'd definitely do it again!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2004

I stayed here for one night when my wife and I visited New Orleans. First, the location is great...a very short block from the action on Burbon Street. At the same time Dauphine street is calm.

The place is old, so don't expect the Ritz. But it's nic and it's clean, and there are luxury touches, like bath robes. The staff was kind enough to leave my wife and I a bottle of champagne for our anniversary.

Everyone there is very very pleasant and glad to help with anything you need. There may be fancier hotels in the French Quarter, and there may be cheaper hotels in the French Quarter. It would be hard to find a better value than this hotel.

2 Thank ohiodude
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2004

We went to the Dauphine Orleans during October 2004. We had a "suite" and I was expecting something like what I saw on the website. Our "suite" was a box with a tiny window overlookinig some industrial part of NOLA. The carpet was frayed and ripped. The couches were horribly stained. The toilet hardly flushed. The sheets were scratchy. (I know I sounded like a snob on that last comment, but I was really looking forward to luxury with my boyfriend, and frankly, I was disappointed.) I got the sense that the larger suites around the courtyard were nicer (and more expensive), but there were no vacancies so I couldn't check it out. The plus side was that our room was large. The location was great. The staff was very nice. We met some wondereful locals at the bar on a few nights. Great people. We had a nice time in NOLA and I just put this initial disappointment behinid me, but if I were to do it again, I would not stay there. Plan your trip early so you have more choices!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2004

This Hotel is it in New Orleans. I work in the Hotel field and believe me - this place spares no expense and gives you your money's worth. Excellent staff and the location is steller. I go to New Orleans frequently and have stayed at 11 different French Quarter Hotels and this one leaves them all in the dirt.

• Stayed November 2004, traveled on business
5 Thank J H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2004

I spent a week here in early October, joined by a good friend and my 3 year old daughter, and I have to say it was the best hotel I've ever stayed in. It's a beautiful old French Quarter building (the hotel website does NOT do it justice), and our balcony room overlooking Dauphine Street was fantastic - but what truly sets this hotel apart is the STAFF! Incredible! Everyone we encountered, from the front desk, to the breakfast room, to the maids and valets - they were all very, very helpful and went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one.

Initially I feared that New Orleans would not be a good place for a toddler, but it was the Dauphine that made it into a GREAT place for a todder. Some of her favorite places we only found because of advice from Dauphine staff. One incident that really sticks in my mind - my daughter left her pacifier out by the pool, and later that day we actually had a valet spot us walking on Dauphine St and chase us down, just to give it back to her. Incredible!!

Thanks, Dauphine, for the beautiful hotel and impeccable service - we'll be back next year!

And to those of you who are lucky enough to be planning a stay in the French Quarter now, be sure to have a meal or two at the Quarter Scene, a fantastic neighborhood restaurant that's a short walk straight down Dauphine. We ate creole food all over town during our stay but no place topped the Jambalaya and Pecan Pie at the Quarter Scene!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2004

From the hotel website and after reading reviews I found on this site, I expected a much better class of hotel. It does have a great location. The courtyards were lovely. Other than the front desk, the staff was friendly and helpful. But the hotel was far from exceptional - and definitely not worth the money. Perhaps the rooms in other parts of the hotel were better but our room was completely without charm -just a standard inexpensive hotel room. Breakfast was adequate - nothing special. And tea was just that - tea & a very few store bought cookies.

• Stayed October 2004