“French Quarter Fab”

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Ranked #46 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 27, 2013

As a travel writer from Austalia who has been to New Orleans dozens of time, I've stayed at most of the mid-to-top level hotels in the French Quarter and Garden District. The Dauphine is one I am happy to call home multiple times and they have a few other great hotels as well as the Audubon Cottages in their group as well.

The staff are superb from the parking attendants with their sage advice on what's hot and not to the front desk girls and guys who know you by name immediately and make you feel at home. It's not an ostentatious or overly plush venue but one that is supremely comfortable from the lobby to the rooms, from the pool to the famous bar which exudes charm.

Thankfully it's a couple of blocks from Bourbon Street so you are not exposed to the noise and yahoos but still a convenient and safe stroll. It's also only a couple of blocks from Canal Street where you can catch busses as wel as the glorious trams that head out to the Riverbend and Garden District. So convenience is one of the plusses that this well maintained property can boast as well as its own parking garage which beats the street for easy auto transfer and storage,

I've stayed in a variety of rooms and loved them all. There are bungalows over the pool which I eagerly anticipate staying in when they are available.Like I said, they run the Audubon Cottages which are magic with their own private gardens, antiques and unique room layouts. Plus the rooms on the various floors are quiet, spacious and clean with the housekeeping staff always on the case keeping the hotel pretty, neat and inviting. A real oasis for the Nawlins habitue.

Room Tip: Like any great New Orleans hotel, the rooms over the courtyard rather than the street are quieter, b...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank trippsterSydney
Write a ReviewReviews (3,571)

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is our 3rd stay in the Dauphine Orleans. It's in a perfect location: easy access to everything in the French Quarter, while far enough from the craziness of Bourbon Street. The rooms are clean and comfy. The free continental breakfast is okay, with adequate options if you want a light meal to start the day. You get a card for a complimentary drink in the (supposedly haunted) bar. (The bar has been featured on the tv show "Ghost Adventures"). Alas, we have no other-worldly experiences to report.. Our stay was enjoyable with only one minor glitch. When booking we asked for a room in a quiet section, not facing the street. When we checked in we were assured the room was not street-side. However, it was. We asked to switch after the first night and were accommodated. It would have been nice to not have had to do that. Otherwise, a great hotel..

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, request one that is not street side.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flwrpeep
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights on our first trip to NOLA. The hotel is in a great location that is close to everything and yet far enough to ensure a quiet night's sleep. Super cute and unique courtyard and buildings. Our carriage house room was really charming and comfortable. The complimentary water and comfy bed were great! My very small gripe is that the room smelled a little musty/moldy. It was very clean but had a little smell to it. Breakfast was pretty standard continental fare which was good especially considering it is free/included. Free drink at the bar was a bonus. Overall service was very good and all staff were always pleasant. I would definitely stay here again. It is important to note that handicap accessibility is not great in this hotel. That's not a problem got us, but may be for some.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a four day get away. We went for our anniversary. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The room was nicely decorated. Water pressure was good in the shower and that is something that is important to me. For flaws I found that the room smelt a little musty, but that can happen in older buildings. The room was a little small but we where very comfortable. The bed was not the most comfortable. It felt like you sunk in when you laid down and you stuck there. The location was great. I would stay here again when visiting NOLA. Next time I go I think I will be looking to stay in the garden district because I loved seeing the large oak trees and the historic homes.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We recently spent time in NOLA staying at the Dauphine Orleans to celebrate a special birthday. Upon arriving and checking in early, we went to our room only to be very disappointed having booked it over 10 months ago.
Expecting a quaint boutique style room with a balcony or at least a view, we were given a room with 1 small window overlooking a rooftop. I called the front desk to express our displeasure and they worked very hard to change our room to a MUCH more delightful room of which we loved.
Also, Josh at the front desk, (who studied music/opera) gave a great Happy Birthday rendition to our group! He was very personable and entertaining.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Nice hotel in a great location. Service was top notch.

It was great having a balcony overlooking the street but the door to the balcony didn't shut tightly. That made the crazy street noise even worse when the early morning drunks.

The room had no glasses and no ice bucket. No clue why, as there was an ice machine at the end of the hall.

I would never. Get my iPad linked to the hotel wireless, but it never became issue I felt needed to be resolved.

One last odd quirk: The shower has a low exiling and the shower head was aimed at my chest, and I am normal height.

These are tiny flaws for a very nice, well-kept hotel

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, don't get a room on the street
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel has the best of both worlds, steps away from the action (one block from Bourbon) but very quiet so no noise when you want to sleep. All of the staff were great esp. the front desk staff who was able to secure us a room for one more night so we wouldn't have to move to another hotel. Free WiFi and Breakfast plus a complimentary drink at the bar were nice touches. Definitely recommend and will try to come back again!

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard facing room to ensure quiet while sleeping.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends