“Excellent Beds!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Bay City, Michigan
“Excellent Beds!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

The memory foam beds at this hotel were amazing. Quiet location even though it is right down in the french quarter. Great Location, we walked everywhere. The parking garage could be a bit noisy early in the morning if your room was on that side, but we never had an issue. Slept like a baby. Typical continental breakfast, but the belgian waffles were a pleasant surprise bonus to the cold cereals, fruit, juice, coffee, and pastries. The dining area coule use a little TLC though. Staff was helpful. Pleasant stay. Some previous reviews have mentioned the musty smell, but I only noticed it downstairs through the bar, not in the guest rooms. And hey, this is New Orleans, everything is damp all the time, you're in a swamp! Bartender was great!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 393Maria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Hebrew first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed here Labor Day weekend, first time.

From the start the service was excellent, everyone was friendly and genuine. We got a room on the fourth floor, I asked for one not facing a street and the lady at the front desk had already assigned us one. The room was very clean. I noticed a bit of a musty odor but when we turned down the thermostat, the AC was able to eliminate it. As with most hotels in the French Quarter, the building's very old so this usually happens at all hotels. My only improvements to the room would be curtains over the plantation shutters which let just enough light in to wake me up too early. Also with the wonderful beds, the pillows were just so-so.

The beds had extremely comfortable temperpedic mattresses. First time I've ever slept on one. Once I layed down on it I didn't want to get up. These beds were especially welcomed after I broke my arm at the end of a Segway tour on our second day there. After the weekend was over and I got back home, I missed the hotel bed.

The housekeeping staff, especially our housekeeper was wonderful. The day after I spent the day in the room resting from the "incident" she asked about cleaning the room and was genuinely concerned about how I was feeling, as my friend had told her about my arm. She was so kind, I always forget to tip the housekeepers but I remembered this time. If I could specifically request her next time I would, though I didn't get her name.

The inluded breakfast was served until 10, a little later than many hotels and there was a good variety from cereals to croisssants to hard boiled eggs and a Belgian waffle iron to make your own. First time I've seen one of those with a hotel continental breakfast. Stay away from the English Muffins though, not very good.

We didn't use the complimentary beer/wine coupons we got t check in, but the don't have a date on them so we'll use them next time. At check in we were told a lot of people return them unused, not us! Even though we didn't use them on this trip.

Check in and out was very quick and they were just as courteous at check out as they were at check in.

I would definitely recommend staying at the Dauphine Orleans!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank JetsetTX
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Great location with plenty of character in a great location. It's really got the kind of charm that people go for in a B&B, but the amenities and service of a hotel. the location can't be beat. Right in the quarter, but in a relatively quiet nook. Have stayed there before and would stay there again any time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rugger23
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

Great location just off Bourbon Street. Right in the centre of it all. We were on the 3rd floor at the rear and was very quiet. The rooms are a good size, the beds comfortable and everything clean. It was Southern Decadence when we were there so very busy and rained and rained and rained.

1 Thank aussiewill
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

There are plenty of hotels in the Quarter, and it is difficult to know what to expect until you actually get to the room. Having stayed in the area several times before, I had noticed the Dauphine Orleans but always dismissed it because the most prominent feature from the street is its parking garage. But finding an unbeatable deal for a recent trip and trusting the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor, my friend and I made our reservations and headed for New Orleans.
It was raining when we arrived, and the doorman was waiting at the door to take our bags. The storm had knocked out the electricity briefly prior to our arrival (and thus the computer system had been affected), but even though the desk clerk had to go back and forth to the back office to check people in, she was pleasant throughout and we were on our way to the room relatively quickly.
We requested a quiet room (as recommended by other TripAdvisors -- thanks!) and so our room was on the back side of the property on the top (4th) floor. Everything was clean and ready for our arrival. All of the light bulbs worked (a pet peeve of mine), so that was a special plus for me. Although apparently not a regular amenity in each room, we requested a mini-fridge, and it was delivered later that day (no extra charge). The beds have Temperpedic mattresses, and I have to say, I may have to get one.
There were only a couple of minuses we encountered:
-- First, I was so very proud of myself for bringing a couple of clips to keep the curtains fully closed (I hate that first beam of sunlight in my eyes in the morning); however, I soon realized there were no curtains, but wooden shutters instead. Hard as we tried, we couldn't get them closed tightly enough to get it fully dark in the room.
-- Second, the bathroom, while very nice, does not have much counter space, primarily because the toilet - which sits very close next to the sink and takes space away from what would be counter space - doesn’t have a tank, so there was not any extra space there either. We made it work though.
I partook of the free breakfast a couple of mornings. It is essentially fruit, cereal, breads and pastries, plus a waffle machine. The only hot item, other than the do-it-yourself waffles, were some sausage patties that you could place in muffins and make a little breakfast sandwich. I wish there would have been some scrambled eggs and bacon, but even so, I managed just fine, and it was certainly a nice option.
I have to commend the housekeeping staff, who were terrific during our stay. My friend was in an accident during our trip, and the sweet lady who was our housekeeper (I kick myself for not finding out her name) checked on us throughout our stay and would always ask how my friend was doing. She didn't balk when we didn't emerge from the room until well after noon. And all of the staff people were friendly and greeted us anytime we encountered them.
The hotel was full while we were there over Labor Day weekend, and if all of those people like it as much as I did, well, I may never be able to get a reservation there again, it's that good.

Room Tip: Daphine street is pretty quiet, but upper floors, away from the parking garage, are quieter.
6 Thank jdbhouston
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

This is a charming and quaint little hotel in the quieter part of the french quarter. Clean rooms, friendly staff, all of whom made me feel welcome and made my stay enjoyable. Hotel had all of the amenities I look for at a decent price. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay in the French quarter, but don't want to be in the heart of the noise.

3 Thank AndreMcBride
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

A friend and I stayed at the Dauphine for nearly a week (Mon-Fri) and were very pleased with our experience. Check-in was fast and easy, we were in our room in no time. We booked a standard double room, the room was large and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was especially nice and really spacious. The room also had two small balconies (you could set out and that was about it). Midway through our stay, our door lock was malfunctioning and the staff tried to fix it but ultimately moved us to another room (a nicer double room with a balcony overlooking the street) and were very accommodating.

The pool is very, very small and can get crowded. They have a nice fitness room (also small so hope that no one is working out at the same time as you). The hotel also has a great breakfast bar full of options and afternoon tea (coffee, tea, cookies) which was a nice touch. The staff was always very friendly and very helpful. We were able to get directions to restaurants and were able to order a taxi for the morning of our departure without a problem.

A note on the location: this hotel is perfect for people who want to experience the French Quarter but also don't want to be smack dab in the middle of the craziness. The Dauphine is literally one block away from Bourbon so it's easy to get there if you want a night out, but even having a room on the street, you can't hear any of the noise (which is great when you actually want to sleep at night). The neighborhood also felt pretty safe, though we didn't venture further north as the north part of the French Quarter is bordered by the housing projects.

Overall, this is a great hotel that makes it convenient to experience the French Quarter (we walked everywhere) with nice touches (friendly staff, breakfast and snacks). I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a room that's especially quiet, try to get one away from the elevators.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends