“A hidden gem in the French Quarter”

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Ranked #42 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“A hidden gem in the French Quarter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

There are plenty of hotels in the Quarter, and it is difficult to know what to expect until you actually get to the room. Having stayed in the area several times before, I had noticed the Dauphine Orleans but always dismissed it because the most prominent feature from the street is its parking garage. But finding an unbeatable deal for a recent trip and trusting the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor, my friend and I made our reservations and headed for New Orleans.
It was raining when we arrived, and the doorman was waiting at the door to take our bags. The storm had knocked out the electricity briefly prior to our arrival (and thus the computer system had been affected), but even though the desk clerk had to go back and forth to the back office to check people in, she was pleasant throughout and we were on our way to the room relatively quickly.
We requested a quiet room (as recommended by other TripAdvisors -- thanks!) and so our room was on the back side of the property on the top (4th) floor. Everything was clean and ready for our arrival. All of the light bulbs worked (a pet peeve of mine), so that was a special plus for me. Although apparently not a regular amenity in each room, we requested a mini-fridge, and it was delivered later that day (no extra charge). The beds have Temperpedic mattresses, and I have to say, I may have to get one.
There were only a couple of minuses we encountered:
-- First, I was so very proud of myself for bringing a couple of clips to keep the curtains fully closed (I hate that first beam of sunlight in my eyes in the morning); however, I soon realized there were no curtains, but wooden shutters instead. Hard as we tried, we couldn't get them closed tightly enough to get it fully dark in the room.
-- Second, the bathroom, while very nice, does not have much counter space, primarily because the toilet - which sits very close next to the sink and takes space away from what would be counter space - doesn’t have a tank, so there was not any extra space there either. We made it work though.
I partook of the free breakfast a couple of mornings. It is essentially fruit, cereal, breads and pastries, plus a waffle machine. The only hot item, other than the do-it-yourself waffles, were some sausage patties that you could place in muffins and make a little breakfast sandwich. I wish there would have been some scrambled eggs and bacon, but even so, I managed just fine, and it was certainly a nice option.
I have to commend the housekeeping staff, who were terrific during our stay. My friend was in an accident during our trip, and the sweet lady who was our housekeeper (I kick myself for not finding out her name) checked on us throughout our stay and would always ask how my friend was doing. She didn't balk when we didn't emerge from the room until well after noon. And all of the staff people were friendly and greeted us anytime we encountered them.
The hotel was full while we were there over Labor Day weekend, and if all of those people like it as much as I did, well, I may never be able to get a reservation there again, it's that good.

Room Tip: Daphine street is pretty quiet, but upper floors, away from the parking garage, are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank jdbhouston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
  • Hebrew first
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

This is a charming and quaint little hotel in the quieter part of the french quarter. Clean rooms, friendly staff, all of whom made me feel welcome and made my stay enjoyable. Hotel had all of the amenities I look for at a decent price. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay in the French quarter, but don't want to be in the heart of the noise.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank AndreMcBride
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

A friend and I stayed at the Dauphine for nearly a week (Mon-Fri) and were very pleased with our experience. Check-in was fast and easy, we were in our room in no time. We booked a standard double room, the room was large and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was especially nice and really spacious. The room also had two small balconies (you could set out and that was about it). Midway through our stay, our door lock was malfunctioning and the staff tried to fix it but ultimately moved us to another room (a nicer double room with a balcony overlooking the street) and were very accommodating.

The pool is very, very small and can get crowded. They have a nice fitness room (also small so hope that no one is working out at the same time as you). The hotel also has a great breakfast bar full of options and afternoon tea (coffee, tea, cookies) which was a nice touch. The staff was always very friendly and very helpful. We were able to get directions to restaurants and were able to order a taxi for the morning of our departure without a problem.

A note on the location: this hotel is perfect for people who want to experience the French Quarter but also don't want to be smack dab in the middle of the craziness. The Dauphine is literally one block away from Bourbon so it's easy to get there if you want a night out, but even having a room on the street, you can't hear any of the noise (which is great when you actually want to sleep at night). The neighborhood also felt pretty safe, though we didn't venture further north as the north part of the French Quarter is bordered by the housing projects.

Overall, this is a great hotel that makes it convenient to experience the French Quarter (we walked everywhere) with nice touches (friendly staff, breakfast and snacks). I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a room that's especially quiet, try to get one away from the elevators.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank redbl00m
The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

Very nice hotel! Charming older property with recent updates. We stayed in the Herman House which is across the street from the main building. Very quiet and tucked away. One block over from Burbon, walking distance to all things great in the FQ. We will definitely stay there again.

2 Thank bjack830
DauphineOrleans, Director of Sales at Dauphine Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
We are so happy you had a great stay! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We look forward to your return and hope it is soon.
Memphis, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

The double room with balcony facing Dauphine was nice. There were 3 patio chairs on the balcony. The street traffic was a little noisy but to be expected with balcony rooms. We have stayed all over the quarter and garden district and I would rate this an A- nice. The room was very clean and the bathroom was very small. Our room had a fridge so that was nice. Never ate the breakfast we ate out. Very nice restaurant on Conti towards bourbon that had b/l/d very inexpensive . It was german, the Jagerhause and it had the best inexpensive breakfast, and a great hamburger- cheap for lunch so after spending $$$ on dinner it was a nice break. Dejavue bar and grill is on the corner of Conti so we ate there- food was very good & cheap but it is a smoking bar and everyone has to be over 21 so we only ate there once due to the smoke. You will find most all bars in New Orleans are smoking bars so be prepared. We go down at least once a month and try to stay at different places every 3 months or so. I always read the reviews before I go. so I am trying to detail what I look for. You just have to remember that everything in the quarter is old and it is noisy. I always take my sound machine and a couple glasses of wine tend to lessen the noise. If you want an inexpensive but nice balcony hotel then this is it. The balcony hotels on Bourbon tend to be not so nice and very expensive and extremely noisy. Remember a lot of kids destroy those rooms during mardi gras. So when I find very clean and not torn up balcony room- it rates high...weare older so like to drink on the balcony after dinner.

3 Thank DenaGayle
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed at the Duaphine for two days prior to boarding our cruise. After reading some of the negative reviews, I was a little nervous about my hotel choice since I was responsible for three other couples that were staying here with us. It turned out to be a fantastic weekend. The rooms were spacious, clean and adequately air-conditioned, even during the August heat. The Tempur-Pedic beds were awesome and I can't remember the last time I slept so well. Our room was right over the garage yet we never heard heard a sound from the carport though I must admit, I am a sound sleeper. The free continental breakfast was a nice touch and a great way to start off the day without having to search out a restaurant before beginning the day's excursions. Two thumbs up the the Dauphine for making our stay in New Orleans a pleasant one.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank desertduo1
Thank you so much for giving us a chance. I am so happy that you experience the Dauphine Orleans as we intend. We hope you had a wonderful cruise and look forward to your return to New Orleans and the Dauphine Orleans!
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed 2 nights in New Orleans as part of our road trip and was recommended the Dauphine Orleans. It did live up to expectations and offered good value for money. The staff were helpful and friendly. The only small annoyances were that they did charge me more for parking than I had been informed and only offered me a phone number to query this, which would probably cost more than the charge (on my mobile telephone or from the UK on return). The bottled water in the room was $2.50 a bottle(500ml) which seems outrageous for a hotel as we stayed in tiny B&Bs that were giving it away. Overall it is a good choice for all the attractions New Orleans has to offer.

Room Tip: we had abalcony room which was nice but not needed out of season, some of the courtyard rooms looked...
1 Thank hobbitette