“Charming hotel in the French Quarter” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Cornstalk Hotel
Ranked #33 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Massachusetts
“Charming hotel in the French Quarter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the French Quarter room on a Wednesday to Friday in June. The room was beautiful and comfortable. I was concerned that there would be a lot of noise based on other reviews, but am happy to say that there really weren't any issues. The hotel staff was very helpful. Nice courtyard. Free waters and beverage coupons for use at CC's coffee house. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

We loved this hotel. Our apartment rental a block away didn't work out because of a broken a/c unit. So, we booked this hotel through one of the "last minute deal" apps. As soon as we arrived at the front door, we loved it. It's a beautiful mansion that's been converted to a hotel. The staff was super friendly and very relaxed. Our rooms were great. We switched rooms the second night because they didn't have the same room available for both nights. It worked out for us, because the room on the second night was even better than the first. Lots of antique furnishings, decor, etc. It felt like we were sent back in time to a more peaceful, relaxing period. They provided free bottled water, free wifi. You're right on Royal Street, so all the cool galleries and restaurants are in walking distance. Next time we come to New Orleans, we'll definitely be looking to stay here.

Room Tip: First floor room was bigger than the second floor room, but you hear the hallway traffic more since...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

We LOVED this hotel experience. I say experience b/c it was more then a place to stay. The charm was unmatched & the service was like staying w/a distant family member. My husband & I take our hotel stays very seriously. It should be as nice if not nicer then our own home. It's an old property so it has it's quirks like the room we stayed in was lovely, but I wish it had a bigger bed (a full for 2) but it was very compfortable, the water temp in the shower changing a couple of times & the TV was small but w/the location being perfectly in town (but not in the heart of the noise & chaos) we didn't watch TV. All in all not a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Ask about the size of the bed.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

I came prepared thanks to all the yelp and trip advisor reviews.. many of them are outdated and inaccurate, but I made sure to read between the lines! I loved my stay at the Cornstalk, and couldn't imagine staying anywhere else for my first visit to New Orleans! Our stay was in May 2014.

First of all, the staff are above and beyond excellent!! They emailed me prior to my stay, and also called to give some necessary information about street events and how they might affect my arrival. The friendly desk staff are informative, polite and helpful. Such a delight! (by the way, the Cornstalk is under new management in case you're wondering why things seem so different in older reviews)

We chose the lovely Room #2. It is elegant, charming and gorgeous! The website pictures don't do it justice. The room is exquisite, gold ceilings, spacious, well air conditioned (although there are no temperature controls), regal curtains, and even the wall paper was really cool - it emulated cushioned walls with gold embroidery, and looked really beautiful. There were two nice sized bottles of water waiting for us.

The bedding is super soft and the bed is luxurious, it was so comfortable, definitely one of the best hotel beds I have ever slept in. The room was very clean and comes with a large mirrored armoire with many hangers and luggage rack. The decor really shows a lot of attention to details, from the unique crystal chandelier to the lovely antique telephone, gorgeous hand crafted wood finishings, and vintage lamps.

The bathroom was smaller than a normal hotel, but not tiny; it had a small tub/shower and large beautiful sink with great lighting. The hot water hiccups once in a while.. I made the mistake of chasing the warm water and turning it too too hot when it got cold and then too cold to get the water back to a comfortable temperature... I just had to wait a minute for the hot water to resume.

I saw a review complaining about the lack of amenities, but I found plenty of toiletries in the bathroom, such as shampoo, conditioner, and several soaps. Hopefully you will make out better than I did, and not waste all that effort to bring trial sized toiletries in a stupid ziploc bag through security, what a pain! (Also, there's a pharmacy near by to purchase those things) The towels are sparkly clean and soft and thick, in three sizes, the little things I appreciate when staying at a hotel!!

One con that might not affect most people: it was super-noisy at night! My husband and I are not the party type to stay out all night long (I know, I know, we're in the wrong city ha ha, but we were here for a wedding). So I had a problem sleeping every night - you can hear EVERYTHING going on outside and the street, and some patrons stayed up all night talking absurdly loudly (they're probably drunk) on the porch and balcony. One of the nights the staff asked them to quiet down after 1am. Next time I will use ear plugs. Waking up to accordion music was delightfully charming, but staying up all night to drunk people chatter was not. I'm not sure if a room further in would have been better, there was so much to love about the Cornstalk, that I think I will try again next time. FYI, not the hotels fault but the trash guys pick up at 1:30 am Saturdays, and are really loud, as well as blast loud music. I guess this city is tailored for young single people who like to drink all night and party. I always thought of NO as a party city, but it's worse than Vegas ha ha.

The staff really is amazing and deserve another mention. I highly recommend this place, just make sure to know what you're in for.

Room Tip: Porch & balcony chatter can carry on loudly until past 1am.. bring ear plugs if you're a lig...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol S
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Cornstalk Hotel for 4 nights in June 2014 and highly recommend this hotel. It is beautifully decorated and was a pleasure to come back to each day. One of the main reasons for for the 5 star rating is the quality of staff: all the staff members we encountered were exceptionally nice and helpful (which is saying a lot given the region is rightfully known for its hospitality). We were in the least expensive room and it was quite small but this is more than made up for in terms of how beautiful the the room was. Furthermore, the hotel has upstairs and downstairs balconies that are great to sit on at any time of day. This hotel is also in an exceptional location in a safe and quiet neighborhood, with many restaurants and cafes close by. Frenchman Street (which is the best place to see music) is a short walk away. I highly recommend this hotel.

Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

We do travel to New Orleans each year and generally like to try different hotels each time. We stayed at the Cornstalk for the first time after walking by it many times each year thinking we would like to try it, and glad we did. We had a very basic room and it was small. The overall property is very nice and quite unique. There are only 12 room and reservations are a good idea. They have a very big shared balcony on the second floor that was very nice and a great place to relax after a long day of walking the Quarter. There are also several very nice table/chair spots outside on the front porch and grounds. The staff was very friendly and quite helpful with any needs. The room was cleaned nicely each day and we had turn-down and cookies each evening. The pricing was OK, not cheap, but not overly expensive. We would return. Oh, it is not a bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: There are two super nice rooms in the front of the hotel, 1st and 2nd floor. They are bigger and ve...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

This charming hotel fronted by a fanciful iron fence on Royal Street is fully furnished with antiques so it seems like you're staying in a friends home, albeit one with a restored French Quarter home. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful, full of suggestions as to what to see and where to eat. Part of the reward to staying here is to be able to sit out on the balcony overlooking the front garden and admire the view of Royal Street. The history of the fence is worth reading about, the staff will guide you through the house's story. Welcome to old New Orleans.

Room Tip: Ask for the front corner(tower) room, rounded walls and your own private entrance to the balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple