New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Southern Candymakers

Southern Candymakers
Ranked #3 of 55 Dessert in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Southern Candymakers is a family-owned candy store in New Orleans' charming French Quarter. According to Bon Appetit Magazine, we have the best pralines...fresh and handmade daily!
Birmingham, Alabama
“I go to Southern Candymakers every time I am in New Orleans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I always stop by Southern Candymakers when I am in New Orleans because I have to get at least a pound (sometimes two!) of original creamy pralines to take home to my mama. I think she might send me back if I didn't come back with pralines.

I stopped in with my best friend and when I started to get the pralines he started sampling other pralines and loved the sweet potato pralines. He ended up buying some original creamy and some sweet potato. They put a smile on his face.

Everyone there is friendly and happy to help. I wish every place was like that.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
socandy, Customer Service at Southern Candymakers, responded to this review, October 6, 2015
We're happy our pralines continue to make it onto your return to New Orleans visit list! Thank you for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.

• Turkish first
Montgomery, Alabama
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

They have a great selection of candies and you can see the employees as they are spooning the pralines onto waxed paper to cool. They are delicious and fresh, although terribly expensive, with the pralines costing $22.95 per pound. They offer alot of unique candies and it's fun just seeing them all, the shop itself isn't fancy. I probably wouldn't return due to the cost. We found another shop on our way out of town that cost $6 less per pound and was just as tasty. The area has alot of tourism which is what most of the shops here are geared towards.

McKinney, Texas
“Praline Sugar High!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I came, I conquered and left with a bag of sweet delectable pralines. The store is a candy lovers paradise. Wall to wall candy and the aromas are hypnotic. I tried several varieties and knew I was in candy paradise. I was surprised at the prices but it was worth every cent.

• 5 of 5 stars
That's wonderful you had such a savory experience! Thank you for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.
pa
“The best smell in the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Walk by and the aroma will lure you in. The pralines were smooth and creamy but gave me an instant sugar shock. Too sweet for me but for those who enjoy this kind of thing, I could see why you would love this place.

vientiene
“Sugar-free options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

.....Well, not that many, but what they had were delicious and beautifully presented. Hard to find in stores like this.

Otherwise, any tourist town in the south has a store like this with pretty much the same hand-dipped treats. This one is better than average with slightly above average prices.

Add in a liberal praline sample-offering policy, sweet staff, and good packing to take it all home and you can see why it's so highly rated.

But if this shop were really the #3 food attraction in NO, I'd be pretty depressed.

Visited February 2013
We're glad our staff took care of you and that you enjoyed your sugar-free treats! Thank you for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.