“Sweet yummy goodness”

Ranked #3 of 62 Dessert in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Southern Candymakers is a family-owned candy store in New Orleans' charming French Quarter. According to Bon Appetit Magazine, we have the best pralines...fresh and handmade daily!
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I had never tried pralines, but kept seeing them in every tourist/gift store. Was told by a local and a tour guide to go to this place. They are made fresh everyday and the range is amazing! They are very more-ish and addictive. I bought home a large pack and needless to say, they did not last long at all. The staff are friendly and hand out samples while you stand in front of the LARGE display case trying to decide what naughty-ness to buy. I strongly suggest that you pay them a visit. They can vaccum pack the caramel sweeties for the trip home.

socandy, Customer Service at Southern Candymakers, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2015

We're glad our staff took care of you and that you enjoyed your pralines! Thank you for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I had never had pralines, so I decided to give them a try. While they were too sweet for me, I've since found numerous other goodies to enjoy at Southern Candymakers. Of particular note are their tortues; the nuts taste fresh and are crunchy, the chocolate is rich, and the caramel just about melts in your mouth. I've brought home boxes for friends and family, and they all agree they are the best they've ever eaten. They also have some peanut butter and chocolate concoctions that are absolutely extreme! Love this place and visit it more than once on each trip.

1  Thank Janice A

We're so happy you enjoyed your tortues! Thank you for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I went to Southern Candymakers, thanks to the suggestions on the Tripadvisor forum.

The pralines were amazing (loved the coconut), and I wish I had gotten more of the salted tortues. and thanks to the lovely lady behind the counter, I had the best toffee ever. I just had the last piece and I want to order more.

Look forward to return.

socandy, Customer Service at Southern Candymakers, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2015

We're glad our staff took care of you and that you enjoyed your coconut pralines, salted tortues and toffee! Thank you for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Wow, amazing pralines!! You have to go here and try them! We bought some for ourselves and ate them while they were still warm. So good, wish we had some in Ohio. :(

We're happy you enjoyed your pralines! Thank you for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

No visit to NOLA is complete without a stop at Southern Candymakers! The smell of the candy practically yanks you in off the street, plus they offer free samples! They make the best pralines anywhere, it's really not even close. I love pralines and I've had just about every brand available, but you just can't beat these.

I should mention how yummy everything else in the store is too. The white chocolate covered oreos and the peanut brittle are personal favorites!

1  Thank lasvegasjunkie

That's wonderful you had such a savory experience as you enjoyed your pralines, white chocolate covered oreos and peanut brittle! Thank you for your review. Warm Regards, Southern Candymakers.