“I liked it!”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Girod St
Transit: St. Charles streetcar line
Description: Leonardo Trattoria offers authentic Italian cuisine, Sicilian style.Boasting a prime location in the heart of New Orleans, along with a top notch staff and chef, Leonardo Trattoria is known for putting out the very best and most authentic Italian cuisine in all of New Orleans. Offering Sicilian-style lunch and dinner, wood fire oven pizza, incredible desserts like homemade cannoli, a relaxed and eclectic atmosphere with Italian mobster movies playing on the flat screen TVs, Leonardo Trattoria is an old favorite of both everyday locals and Mardi Gras tourists alike. It's a dining experience that one won't soon forget.
Hobart, Indiana
“I liked it!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I think the food was good. The customer service was excellent. I wen't on a Sunday evening, and there was no wait. I would definitely go back if in the area.

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Way too expensive for what they offer”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We went for dinner with our daughter (8 year old). We had they scallop Linguine a Fusilli, a Pizza and 3 glasses of wine for almost $100! This appears way too much compared to what they offer. The Fusilli was nice, the Pizza was Good, but the Linguine was mediocre, at best.

I would not recommend this. There must be much better places / higher value around.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“For the love of God, don't eat here.”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I live in New Orleans and have tried to give Leonardo's the benefit of the doubt. But like a cheating boyfriend, you constantly get screwed over. The food is fairly decent considering that most Italian food in New Orleans isn't much better than Olive Garden. I used a Groupon and was treated like a homeless man asking for rotten leftovers. I work in restaurants and give a lot of leeway but felt I should warn diners from eating here. The service sucks beyond imagination. This is supposed to be on the upper end of casual dining but it's no better than a mediocre sports bar. The decor isn't even good enough to be considered cheesy. It's just plain and cheap, nothing special whatsoever. Dining alfresco on a good night is the best you're ever gonna get here for ambiance. No one here knows how to make a drink. It's on par with Bourbon Street. The waitress, busboys, dishwasher makes the drinks but no one ever really tends bar. Don't expect much, order the wine.
I had the worst tirimisu I've ever had there and when I told the waitress, her reply was "well, that's how we make it". So if there's vomit in it, I'm expected to pay for it. She wouldn't budge on the bill and I was forced to pay for it. The bill included gratuity so their waitress doesn't get screwed. I would've paid 20% (industry folks don't screw other industry folks). But I guess the server gets better consideration than the guest and I'm the one who got screwed. After paying for the inedible desserts, I didn't end up getting a deal at all. I really wanted this place to succeed but now I'm just waiting for it to fail which shouldn't be long now. Don't eat here. Eat next door at Herbsaint for a truly scrumptuous meal. Superior bar too.

2 Thank suegator
Cadiz, Kentucky
“Mixed review”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Both of us had pasta. The scallops were very good; the penne bolognese was not good at all. I would suggest you look for a better Italian place.

Visited June 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Much improved!!!”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Being a native New Orleanian, I consider myself a food connoisseur and I enjoy eating out frequently. I have been to Leonardo's about 5 times over the past year and they have changed managers a couple times and I think it is important to know that this restaurant is now better than I have ever known it today. I never thought it was ever terrible, yeah it's a casual italian restaurant, I don't why people are concerned with the casualness of the waiters attire. They are now all very well educated on all menu items and the quality of the food and drinks and all ingredients is amazing especially for the prices. it is authentic food and freshly made pasta . and they have classic italian american dishes for the people that don't know authentic. I encourage people to try it again because I really do believe in this place. I took a couple of friends there last night and we had a phenomenal waitress named jessica. she was actually training two other girls at the same time as well as running the entire restaurant, or so it seemed. another table came in and requested her and she flawlessly served 4 tables at the same time as teaching girls how to make specialty cocktails and paying attention to everyone. the food was completely on par , everything was really good& hot & fresh I was proud that I had suggested the restaurant to my friends who were beyond impressed (originally from new york knowing good italian). We started with CALAMARI & ANTIPASTOS then we shared a CRAB CARBONARA & LEONARDO'S PIZZA that had fresh mozzarella, pesto, shrimp & MONTANA PIZZA w/ red sauce goat cheese fresh mozzarella, portabellas, roasted garlic. Jessica helped us greatly in choosing all of our food as well as pairing perfect wines & their homemade SANGRIA which she developed from part of her grandparents recipe!!!! We let her choose our desserts & she chose some of their homemade GELATOO & GRANITEA & a classic CANNOLLI. I love this restaurant as well as all the other people I've brought.