“Wish a waiter - or anyone - had come to my table”
Review of MiLa Restaurant - CLOSED

MiLa Restaurant
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Baronne Street
Description: With a seasonal menu driven by fresh ingredients, MiLa delivers a new style of Southern fare with a lighter touch using French techniques. Discover a world of inspirational cuisine in downtown New Orleans.
Los Angeles, CA
“Wish a waiter - or anyone - had come to my table”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

First, let me be honest and say that I am NOT reviewing the food or the drinks, etc. What I am reviewing is the overall poor service at this restaurant since I left before having a chance to eat. Visiting New Orleans from Los Angeles, I have been consistently impressed by the great service at every restaurant, particulary Commander's Palace. On our last night in town, my wife and I had made reservations at MiLa. It had outstanding food reviews, was close to our hotel (The Roosevelt) and appeared to be a fantastic dining option. We had reservations for 8:30pm. We arrived about 5 minutes ahead of our scheduled time and were seated promptly. Unfortunately, the hostess seating us is about the last time we saw anyone. We waited for about 10 full minutes before someone gave us glasses of water without so much as a word. Then, about another 3 or 4 minutes after that, our waitress (maybe she was our waitress - I couldn't say for certain, she may have been one of the random 20 or so employees who had walked by our table in the back near the entrance to the kitchen without so much as a glance) gave us a list of "wines by the glass" and made some weird comment that the full wine list was "only released 5 minutes ago". What??? Neither of us had any clue what she was referring to but this was the first time in 15 minutes that anyone had spoken to us so we let it slide. About 5 minutes after that - almost a full 20 minutes after we had sat down - a gentleman walked by the table, shook our hands, and welcomed us to the restaurant. Then he walked off, hurriedly. We had no idea who he was although he appeared to be a manager of some sort. By this time, my wife and I were getting extremely aggravated. New Orleans has literally hundreds of great dining options; you don't need to pay through the nose to be subjected to poor service. We both agreed that if no one came to our table to welcome us to the restaurant, take our drink orders and discuss the menu within 3 minutes, we were going to leave. Well, I have to say that nobody came back to the table and we ended up leaving - about 23-25 minutes after first arriving at the restaurant and being seated by the hostess. We were going to tell the hostess on our way out of the restaurant why we were leaving - the unbelievably poor service and the fact that no one had come to our table who appeared to be interested in serving us - but she was nowhere to be found. Undoubtedly she was seating someone else (hopefully they had better luck than we did). Fortunately, all was not lost. We went up the street one block to Domenica, a phenomenal Italian restaurant that was twice as busy as MiLa, and scored two seats in the bar and had an amazing dinner. I don't regret not eating at MiLa but I do regret the horrible service that I had. I don't know if this level of service is common (I can only imagine that it isn't since the place generally gets favorable reviews), but I do know that there is no excuse for ignoring diners for over 20 minutes, particularly in a city with a plethora of dining options like New Orleans. I give my wholehearted recommendation to Domenica (and Mr. B's Bistro and Commander's Palace and GW Fins). They all had attentive service and amazing food and made me glad that I had visited New Orleans. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about MiLa.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank ToddLosAngeles_CA

Maryland
“Someone better check the rating here”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I agree with the reviewer before me - this was one of the best meals that I've had, and for a prix fixe of $20 for a three course meal, it was ridiculously reasonable. The sweet corn and crab soup was ethereal, the red fish over wilted spinach and quinoa was sublime, the fresh hot cornbread was delightful, and the vanilla bean rice pudding with currants soaked in liquor was the piece de resistance. Run, do not walk to MiLa before more people figure out that this is the best deal and one of the best meals you'll find in New Orleans (or anywhere, for that matter).

New Orleans, Louisiana
“The BEST Restaurant in New Orleans”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

You're gonna think I'm crazy. After all, New Orleans is known for it's find dining. But I have to tell you, this is the best food I've ever had in my 55 years.

I cannot recommend this restaurant strongly enough. The drinks are perfect and the food is fresh, varied, and prepared PERFECTLY.

For those who enjoy sweetbreads (I know there's not many of you) these are the finest I have EVER had.

• Visited May 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Unexpected quality and service!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I must admit in walking into the restaurant I wonder why I had reserved here and then just said "oh well" it  was close to our hotel. But then we looked at the menu and I was intrigued all over again and hopeful it would be as I had expected. There is a $20,  3 course lunch menu that is an incredible value many business people were there taking advantage of it and a good quiet place to work. Mom ordered from that menu with an organic salad, redfish over quinoa and Praline semifreddo   I ordered the white asparagus  soup with crab, green asparagus marmalade and lemon oil (also on the $20 menu) and the Fried Rabbit.  Warm house made sweet potato rolls arrived first delicious yeasty and with a distinctive taste yet not identifiable as sweet potato. The soup was warm with a drizzle of the green asparagus for color mostly and beautiful rich cool crabmeat it was lush rich and perfect. I loved the fried rabbit although the pieces looked at little like chicken fingers the comparison stopped there. They were rack of rabbit coated in Panko stacked like logs on top of the potato cream almost a sauce. The redfish was also delicious atop a variety of vegetables mixed with the grain. However, best of all may have been the dessert, nothing to fancy or over done just a slice of semi-freddo with a little caramel but how great it was described a Praline semi-freddo it had nuts caramel great little chewy bits mixed in with the frozen custard. I would love to know how to make this dish and promise to pursue finding a recipe to adapt to it. I have already sent one person here will send more and will return myself (not that I wouldn't appreciate a little sprucing up of the decor).

• Visited May 2012
Montreal, Canada
“A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

In New Orleans for 2 weeks and wanted to try different high-end restaurant. This one was THE BEST of all (a lot better than Antoine's and NOLA Emeril's !!). Extremelly fine cuisine that explode magically in your mouth. Cost $200 for 2 with alcool, taxes and gratuity. But worth every penny!

This restaurant is a MUST-SEE if you are in Nawlins!

• Visited June 2012