“interesting museum”

and up
The Big Easy Insider Tour: The Locals Experience
Ranked #69 of 348 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: A visit to New Orleans' historic French Quarter would not be complete without a stop at Jackson Square, which is where you will find the Cabildo. On loan from the Smithsonian, the coat Andrew Jackson wore during the Battle of New Orleans returns for this groundbreaking exhibition "From Dirty Shirts to Buccaneers: The Battle of New Orleans in American Culture." This elegant Spanish colonial building neighbors St. Louis Cathedral and houses many rare artifacts of America's history. Among them is Napoleon's death mask, one of only four in existence. It was made from a mold crafted by Dr. Francesco Antommarchi, who was one of Napoleon Bonaparte's physicians at the time of his death.
Oswego, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“interesting museum”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I learned a lot about New Orleans at this museum. Lots of interesting information. There is no guided tour or anything like that which might have made it even better. Worth a look.

1 Thank Mark T

Miami Beach, Florida
125 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“Napoleon's Death Mask !”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The Cabildo is part of the Louisiana State Museum surrounding St. Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square. It was originally used to house the governing body of the Spanish government, marked the location where Louisiana was transferred from Spain to France, and later from France to the USA. The building just screams out to history buffs and the general curious. Inside the exhibits are arranged to detail the diverse people and their history chronologically, from the Native Americans up to modern day. You can see the room upstairs where the Spanish governing council originally met. In this same room they have a metal cast of Napoleon's death mask. Super cool! I really enjoyed this museum. Worth a visit for sure.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Stephen F
Chaska, Minnesota
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Excellent tour, good decision to check it out”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband and I bought the 2 hour walking tour of the Jackson Square area that the Friends of the Cabildo sells. The tour includes access to (self guided) the 1850 house, which we did before the guided tour. The house was in great condition and had plaques to read along the way. The man in the gift shop said that the 1850 house would take about 15 minutes to do, but even though we are both fast readers, we had to rush through the house to be able to make it to the tour on time. I would say leave more like 25-35 minutes to walk through the house if you really want to spend the time to learn about it.
Our tour guide was Linda Deane. She was very informative and interesting. She told us that she's a native of the area, and has been a volunteer tour guide since the 1970s. She was very enthusiastic and took us all around Jackson Square and the immediate area, talking about the history and architecture. She asked us (our tour group was 4 people total) if we had a little extra time to spare, and she took us into private courtyards to dig deeper into the area.
My husband and I throughly enjoyed the tour. My only complaint is that I thought we would actually be able to go INSIDE the Cabildo with the tour....but that apparently is not an option.
Since the entire tour was outside, and there was NO sitting, wear layers if it's cool, and good walking shoes. Do not wear a heavy backpack or carry a bunch of things; since it's a 2 hour tour, you will need to be comfortable. I would recommend the tour for ages 12+ only!

3 Thank Profteacher
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Interesting and informative”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is one of two Louisiana State Museums located on either side of the St. Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square (The Presbytere is the other). You can buy a discount ticket for both if you get them at the same time. Very informative on the history of Louisiana. A good thing to do on a rainy day. As others have said, there is a lot of reading. We have 2 teen-age sons and they were not as into reading everything as my wife and I were.

Visited December 2013
Midlothian, Virginia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Ton of history in a small space”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Cabildo thoroughly details the history of New Orleans in a short time. Only an hour or so to see everything, yet comprehensive and enjoyable. I particularly liked the discussions of the various intrigues over different periods, as the locals played off the major powers against one another – clever folks! Each period from exploration through the post-war occupation had enough information to keep it interesting without overwhelming the visitor, and focused on the local events that shaped the people and culture. New Orleans doesn’t offer a long list historical venues, so I recommend this one to get the full background on the people and development of the city.