“Interesting Small Spiritual Museum”

New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum
Ranked #98 of 354 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: There's just enough voodoo lore here to introduce you to the history and culture of this spiritual practice and to tempt you to bring home a love potion or voodoo doll as a souvenir. Guided swamp, plantation and cemetery tours are available.
Key Largo, Florida
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 296 helpful votes
“Interesting Small Spiritual Museum”
Reviewed April 26, 2009

If you have even the slightest interest in Voodoo as a religion, you will find it worth the visit. The $5 admission is a bargain. The lady collecting the admission was genuinely helpful and informative. We could take our time looking at each exhibit packed into the 2 rooms and hallway and were encouraged to take photographs. If you are in a hurry, you will miss an object tucked into a corner!

The Museum also houses the original Marie Laveau paintings you see published. It was great to see them full size and in their original frames. There are a few skeletons and skulls and mummified animals. I think many tourists never look past these into the Museum corners.

I was interested in their original poppets and Voodoo dolls. They also had really nice Haitian Voodoo beaded flags. There were several altars with offerings. If found these amusing because visitors left such "gifts" as chewing gum, chap sticks, a candy bar wrapper and combs! I can't imagine these would bring good luck!

We managed to spend over 30 minutes in their 2 rooms and hallway. We left the Museum even more interested in obtaining books for further reading about Voodoo in New Orleans for our next visit!

3 Thank wnbamiamisol

Memphis, Tennessee
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“An interesting place to spend a little time”
Reviewed January 31, 2009

We stopped in here on a Sunday afternoon and the place was nearly deserted. It was interesting to see all the stuff they've accumulated and the alters that people still use. I'd say its worth the small entrance fee to see this.

3 Thank Deb62862
Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Fascinating!”
Reviewed December 31, 2006

Yes, it's small, but this museum is fascinating if you are interested at all in Voodoo or other cultures and religions in general. I found the $5 entrance fee well worth it as did my companions. It was very authentic and obvious that the alters are actually used. There was nothing "touristy" about it so if you are looking for "Hollywood" this is not the place for you. The info. given is a brief, but very educational introduction to the belief system. We were excited as we got to meet the actual owner as well, who took the time to visit with us and show us the courtyard. I didn't see the signs asking for money, but coins and dollars placed on the alters are "offerings" not a way for the museum to make money. I would suggest visiting with an open mind.

4 Thank IrshIz
Surrey, United Kingdom
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 593 helpful votes
“Rip off”
Reviewed June 3, 2005

As a few have mentioned before, this museum has only 2 small rooms and a tiny hall connecting them. Each room is jam packed with dusty junk in curio cabinets as well as a few fake skeletons and several small alters that have a sign telling you to leave an offering of money. Considering it was $7/person to see this I felt I had sacrificed enough. They give you an unimpressive typed sheet which you must return; it contains very little information. I left knowing nothing about voodoo. This must be the biggest tourist trap on the planet.

8 Thank Karen S
Boise, Idaho
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time!”
Reviewed May 10, 2005

With all the awesome things to see and do in New Orleans, don't waste your time on this. It is small, and I mean small. Not worth the time or money.

3 Thank r0bkess