“Not what it used to be...”

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar
Book In Advance
More Info
$19.00*
and up
Historique Vieux Carré Walking Tour
Ranked #21 of 250 Nightlife in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: Arguably the city's most historic bar, the Blacksmith, dates to 1772.
Reviewed November 17, 2009

It was my favorite haunt -- for a number of reasons -- back in the late 90s when I lived in NOLA; visited for the first time in 8 years this past weekend and while the atmosphere and service was still great, Lafitte's main attraction, the piano player Johnny Gordon, who passed away in 2008, has been replaced by an absolutely terrible woman who berates people who pull up their stools past some imaginary line around the piano, or who talk/sing too loudly....like that is not the point??? Johnny encouraged all to participate, didn't care where we sat around his piano and we all gladly fed him our money when it was "gator time"...I regret having given this hideous woman even a one dollar tip.

11  Thank LaFemmeBleu
Write a ReviewReviews (2,712)
All reviews
in 28 reviews
"candlelight"
in 160 reviews

Reviewed September 24, 2009

My husband and I have been going to New Orleans every year since 2002. We stop in Lafitte's every night we are there. I love their Hurricanes, I haven't had one from another place in NOLA that I like better. We do like the bar better towards the beginning of the week when it isn't so crowded. When we want to get away from the hustle and bustle of Bourbon Street, and have a little more quiet and great candle light ambiance, Lafitte's is the place to be.

6  Thank MissinNola
Reviewed July 22, 2009

After hearing about it for years, stopped in late one night during Jazzfest (perhaps not the best weekend). Had always heard of the great historic ambience and the interesting crowd. I was packed with fratboy types, and while they have preserved the old beams, like so many of the bars in the Quarter in recent years they've added big screen TV-I felt like I could have been in a Sports bar-anywhere USA, but for the old architecture.

3  Thank newmexican_8
Reviewed July 3, 2009

The hurricanes here are fabulous! We've been to New Orleans many times over many years but just recenlty discovered Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop (due to TA reports). Its hurricanes are far superior to Pat O'Brien's (and we've always liked theirs!). And the ambience is a step way back in time.

3  Thank Lilidalla
See more reviews
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Went there with my husband on our last evening in New Orleans. Walking in, the bar looks old, dark and spooky - definitely a place you could see a pirate hiding out! Asked the bartender if we could sit anywhere, she told me yes, they have table service. Great. 5 minutes go by, and another couple sits near us. The waitress comes over and takes their order. Another 5 minutes go by and they have drinks, meanwhile we are still sitting. After another 10 minutes and a repeat of this we walked out. Not worth it to us. If you sit at the actual bar you'll surely have a better experience than we did, but the whole situation turned us off. Went to the Old Absinthe House instead, a great decision.

1  Thank justtravelinthru