“Spent many hours there last week...”

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar
$14.99*
New Orleans Ghost, Voodoo and Vampire Tour
Ranked #5 of 239 Nightlife in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: Arguably the city's most historic bar, the Blacksmith, dates to 1772.
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Loved it...wee cottage at the far end - more residential end of Bourbon Street to the east - open doors/windows - sunlight flooding in by day, candles and lamps and evocative of old NOLA - with a hint of a PIrates of the Caribbean set...loved the voodoo daquiri...tastes like grape slurpee!!! do not try to drink fast, or you will freeze your throat...visited there 3 times in 3 days - twice, one night! The staff are friendly and attracts a fun crowd - there was a pianist playing late one night...so much fun, very small, so looking forward to going back! it's more low-key and doesn't have the crazy mayhem of the bars further along the strip...so many happy memories...

1  Thank Yvonne M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,478)

Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in on Saturday afternoon, during one of our many self-guided walks around the FQ. Was a well-timed stop as its cool and breezy in this place and the afternoon sun had us exhausted. Everything about this place is excellent, except for our male bartender, who didn't seem too pumped to be serving a bunch of tourists. Can you blame him? Irrelevant though, as this is one of the only places we found serving the Voodoo Daiquiri (purple slushee drink w/bourbon and everclear). Would've loved to return at night, as the place is dark and would be extra creepy all candle-lit at night.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This place is totally history. It is lit by candlelight even though they have power behind the bar. It is truly some place you have to visit. Drinks are affordable and there is always a crowd. Enjoyed it very much.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

So 15 years ago when I started to visit New Orleans we discovered this little Dive Bar. It's the oldest bar in America History therefore I think qualifying it as a dive bar. Pre Katrina I always came to visit with other people and always made our way to this bar. Post Katrina I visited New Orleans 3-4 times a year most often by myself so I have not wandered down to the bar by myself as it is further down Bourbon on the quiter side. As a female solo traveler I like to stay in busier areas at night. However this past week I was with my partner and one of my best friends and her husband. We made it to this dive bar after a 7 year absence. I don't think I ever had a hurricane from here before but I did try one this time and I have to say they put to shame every other bar in the Quarter Hurricanes. These were hands down the best Hurricanes I have had to date...I have many! Candles really add to the ambience of this little hot spot. I'm coming down again next month and think I might just have to figure out away to be safe and yet get to this bar as it truly is my favorite in NOLA.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Umm..well I'm not sure what to say! Yes historic, interesting, cosy, etc.
But is not what you expect at night. Yes I know it's on Bourbon but doesn't mean it needs to be a frozen marghareta bar with loud piped music.
Im sure when its got live music its great, but seemed like a 'frat boy' bar when should play on the history side more. Could be unique but just kind of makes up the numbers.
Did like that it was candle lit though, made for intersting atmosphere.