“Lafayette #2 in need of extreme TLC”

Lafayette Cemetery No.1
$25.00*
Garden District and Cemetery Walking Tour
Ranked #26 of 370 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: The burial site for many of the people who lived in the mansions of the surrounding Garden District.
Reviewed July 21, 2014

After visiting both St. John's 1 & 2 and St. Louis #1 we took a side trip to this cemetery as it was featured in the recent television program "American Horror Story: Coven". It was very sad to see the disrepair of many tombs in this particular resting place. We, unfortunately, didn't get to spend a good bit of time inside as we were frightened off by a group of people. My advice is to go in a group and stay together, the neighborhood isn't so great.

2  Thank stlphotogal

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Just in front of the from the Command Palace restaurant is this cemetery. We returned our Groupon coupon as this cemetery was accessible and free. There are 'guides' there if you want an impromptu tour. Most of the cemeteries have limited hours in the mornings for the public,nice place full of histories

Reviewed July 14, 2014

If you have a chance to take a walk between rows of beautiful family tombs and monuments, do. It's just like something out of a movie. And this cemetery has literally been in many movies -- there's so much detail and meaning behind each piece that it's easy to lose yourself in this bit of history.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I have never seen the tombs above ground until I visited New Orleans Louisiana. My cousin wanted to go visit Lafayette Cemetery and so we did. I took photos of my own, tombs decorated, different sizes and some broken, I was actually able to see bones through the broken bricks.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

A walk through was interesting and spooky. Amazing to see the above ground burials. Even the walls surrounding the cemetery are graves.

1  Thank Cynthia K