“Nice Cemetery”

and up
Garden District and Cemetery Walking Tour
Ranked #25 of 348 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: The burial site for many of the people who lived in the mansions of the surrounding Garden District.
York, Pennsylvania
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice Cemetery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

It was a very nice place to vist everything was old looking some of the graves were as old as the 1800s others were as new as 2010. But nobody really takes care of the lawn weeds were growing all over the places and even through the graves. and be careful the hours are slim 10ish to 2:30.

1 Thank Andiamo_36

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Highly Recommend this unique perspective”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

When I was planning my visit to NOLA on the top of my list was to visit a cemetery. I had seen pictures of the above ground tombs and I had to see them in person. I was staying near the French Quarter and took a cab to the cemetery.

I didn't go on an organized tour. I really enjoyed the reflective & peaceful experience. I know most of the reviewers recommend hiring a guide and that would be valuable if you want a detailed history of the cemetery and the tombs. I enjoyed walking around on my own and taking photos and reading the markers. I also looked up historical info on my phone.

Many other reviews have commented about safety when visiting the cemeteries. I visited around 10am on a Sunday and felt completely safe. I didn't see anyone that concerned me. I was very glad I visited in the morning as it got really hot in the afternoon.

I would highly recommend adding this to your agenda when visiting NOLA.

2 Thank HavePillow
Seattle, Washington
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Highly Recommend this unique perspective”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

I would highly recommend adding this to your agenda when visiting NOLA.

1 Thank HavePillow
Huntington Beach, California
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Old Cemetery in the Garden District”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Across from the Commodore Palace is this cemetery. We returned our Groupon coupon as this cemetery was accessible and free. There are 'guides' there if you want an impromptu tour. Most of the cemeteries have limited hours in the mornings for the public.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank hoho92649
Ohio
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

This cemetery is in a better neighborhood (right next to Commander's Palace) and there is usually someone there offering tours if you desire. The St. Charles street car line is under some construction right now so you ride for part of the way and have to be bused to travel the gap due to construction.

1 Thank Buckeye02