“Unique art collection”

and up
New Orleans Power Pass
Ranked #36 of 352 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: The range of the collections include painting, sculpture, photography, self-taught art, ceramics and mixed media by Southern artists.
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Unique art collection”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

It's a museum that specializes in southern art (meaning art done by artists from Georgia, Alabama, etc., and art depicting Southern life).

I enjoyed viewing Paul Kwilecki's photography exhibit, Into the Light II exhibit, and a couple of other smaller exhibits throughout the museum. I also appreciated the interactive nature of Candy Chang's "Before I Die..."

When I visit New Orleans again, I'll definitely come back to this museum, as it's only $10 and well worth the price of admission.

Virginia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A beautifully curated museum”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We loved the Ogden museum. The exhibits were varied and well laid out. Truly a great way to spend an hour or more. There is a great rooftop sculpture garden with views of the area. Convenient street parking and pay lots nearby. We found a spot on the street with no problem.

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Great Architecture, Nice Southern Art”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This was a nice way to spend a hot Saturday afternoon in New Orleans. We enjoyed seeing the Southern landscapes. The pottery and glassware were also interesting. We happened to arrive at the museum just as a tour was starting. Great tour. This museum is close to the WWII museum. We stayed nearby at the Hotel Modern. This area (Lee Circle) of New Orleans has really improved since the last time we were there.

New Orleans, Louisiana
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Excellent Curation, Fab Rooftop and Music”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I was there just a couple days ago with my 1-year-old daughter. It's free for Louisiana residents on Thursdays, so we went to check it out. She mostly enjoys running through the rooms and riding the elevators, so we don't stay very long. We do this at NOMA on their resident day, Wednesday. I must say the Ogden's art is far more to my taste, being of a certain late 19th, early 20th century era, and the colors and subjects and inclusion of outsider art and children's work just appeal to me more. That and I am a proud Southerner. The bit I get to see racing after my child through the galleries is truly lovely and an edgy curation. The building itself is a work of art and a pleasure to be in. Their after hours music is great, too. I saw Cedric Burnside and Lightnin' Malcolm there years ago for a very good price or free, I can't remember. The rooftop is an excellent place to take cocktails.

Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“if you have kids - be sure to go on family day”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

In late August they have free admission and crafts and entertainment. We have done this as a family for about 6 years. My kids LOVE it and my husband and I do, too.