“A nice respite from tourist crowds, with good history too”

Ogden Museum of Southern Art
Ranked #44 of 380 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: The range of the collections include painting, sculpture, photography, self-taught art, ceramics and mixed media by Southern artists.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

As a Michigander, I am fascinated by Mardi Gras culture, and as a non-TV watcher, I'm vaguely familiar with the "Treme" series. On this year's (fourth-annual!) visit to Carnival, I was pleased to see the signage for this temporary exhibit at the Ogden. "Well Suited: The Costumes of Alonzo Wilson for HBO’s Treme" is alone worth the admission fee.

Very spacious galleries, well-displayed. I also sew and create costumes; it was a true joy to get up close to these garments/works of art. I took many photos. It's unlikely that I will ever stumble across the Mardi Gras Indians in person, nor traditional Cajun MG attire. Horizons: broadened.

On a lower level was a display of "realist" paintings by Michael J. Deas, whose submissions have appeared on US postage stamps and the opening credits of Columbia Pictures. Again, it was a pleasure to be able to view the pieces at bifocal distance.

Much more somber was a display of B&W photographs entitled A Chorography of Violence in Orleans Parish. Moving, touching, and thoughtful.

Other reviewers have mentioned the staff. I entered with a mobility device, and the security guard suggested that I check it. Um, no, I'm using it.

Another good stop is the Museum of the Confederacy right next door (I visited and reviewed it last year). If you're waiting out a rainstorm, see both.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

...have lunch, then maybe do nearby WWII Museum.

Took me a while to figure out that the only way to get to the bathrooms was by elevator. Seems odd since the stairs are the main feature of the lobby and interior space.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just the display of Treme Indian costumes alone would have justified the entry price, but the other exhibits were every bit as good. We spent 1.5 hours, which allowed us to see everything pretty well - good value for the seniors admission price of $8 (regular adult price is $10.00). If you like art this is a must see.

1  Thank Kost1947
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had bigger hopes for this museum. But a couple of the exhibition halls were closed due to upcoming exhibitions (one was a photographic exhibition that seemed to be very interesting) so I guess the museum - which has a lot of potential - would get a better review from me if I had the possability to visit later this winter.

1  Thank D4N13L_L3NN4RT550N
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I really can't rate more than Poor, the staff is not friendly, the choice of art is poor to terrible. I'm sorry but this museum needs to listen to its visitors.

1  Thank Pierre M
OgdenMuseum, Public Relations Manager at Ogden Museum of Southern Art, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to the Ogden Museum of Southern Art. As you said in your review, "Listen to your visitors," so please tell me your concerns via my email at sstrachan@ogdenmuseum.org.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,