“Loved This Museum!”

and up
New Orleans Power Pass
Ranked #38 of 364 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: The range of the collections include painting, sculpture, photography, self-taught art, ceramics and mixed media by Southern artists.
Tallahassee
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Loved This Museum!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I'm a lover of just about all things Southern, so I knew I wanted to check out this museum. It was well worth the $10 admission fee. I believe that the exhibits change throughout the year, so the ones I liked the most may not be there in a few months, but who knows, maybe even better ones will take their place.

One of the photography exhibits was so amusing (these were photos taken by the artist in the 1970's and 1980's and then described by the artist), that I had to try to keep down my laughter so as to not disturb the other patrons (who didn't seem to find anything nearly as funny as I did).

There were several other exhibits that I loved, as well as some that I felt pretty neutral about. Most of the pieces exhibited were 20th century, and a few were outsider art (this definitely is not a museum specializing in outside art), but some of the permanent collection is 19th Century, mostly Louisiana landscapes and portraits of Louisiana people.

The young woman who took my admission fee was very helpful, and asked me on my way out what I thought of the place. I told her I agreed with her recommendations about which were the best things to see.

Visited October 2012

Brooklyn, NY
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Ogden Museum a Must See in New Orleans”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

For those folks visiting New Orleans and seeing the many attractions of the French Quarter, this museum, in the Warehouse District, is worth a discrete trip. It is close to the World War II museum but I would recommend a separate visit: WWII can take 4 hours (worth it) and this demands a fresh mind and non-achy legs!

Great over view of southern artists, with many special exhibits. Must sees: Clementine Hunter and Benny Andrews. Building itself is welcoming with lovely staff and nice gift shop (no cafe but many places close by to eat).

Visited September 2012
nola
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“very eclectic”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

good art museum - not as good/comprehensive as NOMA but a whole lot more focused. the south, the whole south and nothing but the south. you can see why its sponsored by the smithsonian. don't forget to see the confederate museum next door. i guess some people think its politically incorrect to go in there but its HISTORY.

Visited September 2011
Maine
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Wonderful collection!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We really enjoyed our trip to this museum. However, half of the galleries were closed, and so we missed a lot. The usual $10 price tag was cut to $5. We went right after our visit to the WWII museum so that was fine, though we might have been disappointed if we had made a special trip- since we made our way through the open galleries in less than an hour. Suggest you call to see if full museum is open.

Visited August 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“On a rainy afternoon”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were in the neighborhood trying to get out of the rain and decided to give it a try. Not all of the exhibits were open so admission was $5, which was nice compared to the WWII museum next door. A great collection of Southern artists well worth the time spent there.

Visited July 2012

Been to Ogden Museum of Southern Art? Share your experiences!