“Small, but exquisite collection of art set in beautiful, shady City Park”

New Orleans Museum of Art
Book In Advance
More Info
$69.99*
and up
New Orleans Power Pass with Fast Track Entry
Ranked #31 of 380 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum specializes in pre-Columbian art but also houses paintings from European painters like Picasso and Degas.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

If you are visiting the city, this is a peaceful respite from the hot, crowded French Quarter. Perfect for just a small taste of Art and Culture. Unless you are an Art expert, one hour is about all the "pass through" time to view everything in the museum. The park is lovely. The museum visit is inexpenseve; and has an onsight cafe. The Park offers several playground areas for children. There is also an outdoor sculpture garden and botanical gardens. I am not sure if these attractions are offered year round, but we went this weekend and also rented bicycles. Paddle boats and canoes were available for rent.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The New Orleans Museum of Art is a cool place to visit on hot days in New Orleans. Always interesting exhibits and a good permanent collection. Before or after. City Park that surrounds it is one of the most beautiful anywhere with century old live oaks and a fascinating history.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We went on Wednesday because it was free admission. We enjoy visiting art museums and felt that this one is worth visiting even if you do have to pay. We really enjoyed the collection of international art. Also the Impressionist collection is nice but very small. Also, if you are there while the World's Fair special exhibit is still running, it is worth it. There are all these decorative objects that countries displayed at various World Fairs so many of them are pretty elaborate and over the top. Although I think it is a small museum, we still managed to spend about 3 hours there so there was plenty for us to see. Afterwards, we went for a walk in the sculpture garden which was fun and great for picture taking. Also, we had lunch at the cafe. We really enjoyed our eggplant sandwiches. They were tasty. This was a nice way to spend the afternoon .

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Liked: This is a first-rate museum with world-class artists. Free on Wednesday. The sculpture garden.
Disliked: Nothing!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I like New Orleans but can only seem to get there in the summer. In July this city is hot and steamy-always a chance of getting caught in a sudden downpour. The Quarter is crowded and there is a limit on T-shirts as there is on what can be drawn from Bourbon Street.

I was in the midst of a 5 day stay in New Orleans and had had enough of the Quarter so I got on the City Park streetcar on Canal St. and headed out for the Museum of Art (NOMA). Riding the streetcar lines is a great way to see the other parts of the city. The ride out to City Park where the museum is located took about 30 minutes. The streetcar stops frequently, is crowded and takes its time. Take a taxi if time is precious. At the end of the line, get off the streetcar and head north to the museum. City Park is huge, filled with open fields, lakes, and fountains. I needed a break from the Quarter and this was it.

NOMA is an entirely accessible art museum. There are three floors of varied exhibits-art from around the world and around the country. There is even a Louisiana art section. For $10 you get an air conditioned quiet day. When I was there the museum was not crowded. What a pleasure to have an entire room to yourself. I spent about four hours working through the galleries. Frequently museums are crowded and don't allow you to take things in at your own pace. NOMA was a singular pleasure because it invited you to enjoy its collection at your own pace. There was an exhibit of old New Orleans photographs that I particularly enjoyed.

The restaurant is noted as one of the best museum dining spots in the country. I had one of the best meals that I've had in New Orleans, there. An elegant room overlooking the park.

Certainly NOMA is not the Louvre but the collection is worth the time. Taken all around, it provided one of the most pleasant and relaxing days that I've ever spent in New Orleans.

2  Thank JKiteNewHampshire