“worth a trip”

and up
Skyvue VIP City Tour in New Orleans
Ranked #31 of 376 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum specializes in pre-Columbian art but also houses paintings from European painters like Picasso and Degas.
Reviewed September 2, 2012

another recommendation from my guide book, and well worth the really long walk I took to get there.

the sculpture garden was open when the museum was not, which was very handy...

some beautiful pieces, but thought provoking, and quite bizarre things too.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

JUST GO - Amazing Art - Well Worth It - all kinds of Art from ALL time periods. Took our times looking around and beforeI knew it - had spent 4 hours there..... Wonderful Place!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I went here on the free Wednesday with my brother who lives in New Orleans and had been here before. He recommended it and we had a nice time. It is located in a very nice and large City Park, which has sculptures, etc. Parking was easy as well.

Lots of interesting decorative art (a room of Fabrege, lots of porcelain, glassware, painted portrait minatures, lots of furniture, etc) which is in my area of interest. But to my surprise there was a small wing of ceremonial and decorative art of Papua New Guinea/Oceania! This is my favorite kind of art and is hard to find on public display in the US, so I was very happy. Lots of pre-Colombian, African, and Asian art as well.

Definitely worth visiting if you like decorative and/or non-Western art. The exhibits seem to change pretty often, which is nice. When we were there an installation was going on (a mural being painted I think), so it was cool to see that as it was happening.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

A great 3 story building featuring various art from different countries and different periods. My 13 year-old daughter really enjoyed it, my 7 yr old son enjoyed the samurai outfits. Plenty of room to roam, plenty to gaze at. All works from the 1400s to modern day, arranged in a way to see and appreciate. Very well done. As a note: Wednesday's are free admission ALL day.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

City Park is an awesome stop. The New Orleans Museum of Art was our last stop and our least satisfactory experience at the park.

The building is really impresive and designed for space, light, and displays. We found the displays impressive. The collection is quite impressive.

The docents, or staff, at the entrance, were a bit snobbbish for our tastes. The hushed atmosphere was, what, odd? People don't talk in whispers. There is a map which helps to identify areas. A map of artists would have helped me.

This is an impressive collection within a beautiful building. It needs to be more consumer friendly.

Been to New Orleans Museum of Art? Share your experiences!