“Not Really What We Expected”

The National WWII Museum
New Orleans City Express Tour
Ranked #1 of 371 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The National WWII Museum is the top-rated tourist destination in New Orleans, TripAdvisor's #2 museum in the world and #2 in the U.S., and an unforgettable way to experience World War II—from industrial efforts on the home front to the combat experience of the American servicemember abroad. Offering a compelling blend of sweeping narrative and poignant personal detail, the Museum features immersive exhibits, multimedia experiences, and an expansive collection of artifacts and first-person oral histories to take visitors inside the story of the war: why it was fought, how it was won, and what it means today. Beyond the galleries, the Museum offers unique access to experiential history, including an opportunity to tour and even ride on an authentically restored PT-boat, tours behind the scenes to handle artifacts alongside Museum curators, and an impressive collection of restored and working macro-artifacts to discover. The Museum is open daily, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. nationalww2museum.org
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I visited the WW II museum in Dec. 2012. I am a huge history and WW II buff. I must say, this museum was pretty much a let down. It was pretty crowded the day we went, and the layout of the museum made it difficult to traverse. The space was very tight, causing many bottle-necks as I tried to swim through the sea of people. Most of the time you couldn't get close enough to the displays to enjoy them because there were too many people trying to read the placards with the write-ups about the display. An audio guide would probably have alleviated that problem. When I did get to a display I wanted to look over, I felt rushed because of the crowd basically pushing be through. As for the Tom Hanks movie, I though it was ok. It was a bit hokey.

2  Thank Mo4391

Reviewed February 9, 2013

A great museum. Excellent movie produced by Tom Hanks and Stephen Speilberg depicting WWII. Would definately recommend.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

The interactive exhibits really brought home the horror of war and the courage of those who fought in world war 2.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Short and sweet review; GO. Every time we are in NOLA, we visit the museum.
Educational, fun, and very moving.

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

This is one of, if not the best, military museum that I have visited in the USA. The staff and volunteers were great and very knowledgeable. We had a tour from a young volunteer which was great. It's nice to see an interest by the younger generation for our past. See the PT boat restoration, don't miss the theater presentation, and the new Boeing center. The only dissapointing thing, was the Higgens boat and some other items were removed so the NFL could set up a display for the Superbowl. I'm sure this was done to get more traffic into the museum during the event (move money), which I guess is OK. Don't miss this museum!