“Classic New Orleans Jazz” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 320 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: New Orleans' Preservation Hall was established in 1961 to honor one of America's truest art forms - Traditional New Orleans Jazz. Operating as a music venue, a touring band, and a non-profit organization, Preservation Hall continues its mission today as a cornerstone of New Orleans music and culture. Situated in the heart of the French Quarter on St. Peter Street, the Preservation Hall venue presents intimate, acoustic New Orleans Jazz concerts over 350 nights a year featuring ensembles from a current collective of 100+ local master practitioners. On any given night, audiences bear joyful witness to the evolution of this venerable and living tradition.
Wisconsin
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Classic New Orleans Jazz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My adult daughter and I went to a show here and really enjoyed it. If you want the feel of old New Orleans jazz this is the place to go. The music was great. The only complaint would be that it was a little hot and stuffy.

Visited March 2012

• Polish first
Arborg, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Nondescript building hosting fantastic jazz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Everyone who I talked to highly recommended Preservation Hall for real New Orleans jazz so went on the 7th of January. Had been forewarned about the lack of seating and small area so got in line about 6:30 and was already fifth. By time the doors opened at 8 the line meandered around the block. I was surprised at how many people would line up on a damp night for the show. The building is nondescript and if I hadn't been told about the music I would have passed by thinking this was one of the many old undistinguished buildings around. I think the real value of waiting in line so long are the conversations one has with other concert goers so by the time one gets in one has had an experience sharing stories and is seated beside friends and not strangers. I got a bench seat but would next time grab a cushion on the floor or stand. The music was real jazz and Maynard Chatters gave some interesting tidbits about jazz and especially New Orleans jazz. The time flew by too quickly and the show was over. I wish I had made time for another night or two while visiting as this was one of musical highlights of my holidays in New Orleans.

2 Thank arborgmadman
Cleveland, Ohio
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Real New Orleans Music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place is a must stop if you want to listen to some music that New Orleans is known for this is the place. Bar staff was nice and drinks were flowing. This is where you want to be if you want the feel of old New Orleans.

heraklion
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“what a music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

What can i say about this church of music.If once in your life have the opportunity to be there you understand what is REAL music .We had reservation
and we sat on the floor.During the show all of us song the songs and some of the clients asked their favorite songs.We were a big happy company.
Our ears were full of sounds of South months later.
Go there and have a good time.

Visited July 2012
Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best $30 spent in NOLA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I agree with Maria E's review, slightly commercial (and very short set, I debated whether I should stay or not for the next!!!), yet wonderful window into the past and present of traditional jazz. I got a $30 (+$4 processing fee!) Big Shot ticket and was happy to have done so, as I got a seat and a cool badge to keep :). Don't spend $ on trinkets or souvenirs, get the souvenir of a lifetime by watching local performers play great music!!!