“One-of-a-Kind Experience”

Confederacy of Cruisers Bike Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Ride with us at Confederacy of Cruisers, New Orleans original and oldest bike tour company. Going on 10 years of great tours and great customers keeping us feeling like the luckiest folks in New Orleans every day when we come to work. The tour that started them all and our others, the Culinary, the History of Drinking and our combined Pedal to Paddle with our friends at Kayakityat. New Orleans is so more than the French Quarter and we want to show you what most visitors don't get to experience. The heart of our city is seen through its other historic neighborhoods on the Creole side of Town, the beautiful Faubourg Marignyand Bywater; and there is no better way to explore them than with New Orleans' original bicycle tour company. Join us as we take you for a bike ride around the old streets and tell you the stories of the New Orleans that most tourists miss. The ride is relaxed, with plenty of time to ask questions, and a stop along the way at a neighborhood bar where you can find out all you want about local life while drinking a delicious Bloody Mary, if you like (water or nothing are also fine choices). For those who want to delve a little deeper, we offer a tasty Neighborhood Culinary Tour and a Historic Drinking Tour (where you get to indulge as you learn), all travelling through our our city like the locals do, on easy to ride classic cruiser bicycles. One speed, slow.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip to New Orleans! I highly encourage anyone thinking of taking a tour with this group to go ahead and book it. You will not be disappointed!

I had wanted to do this on each of our last few trips to the city, but our traveling friends just weren’t up for it. They SO missed out! About a month before our visit, I made the arrangements for my husband and I to take part in one of the Culinary Bike Tours. From our first email contact to the moment when we waved good-bye at the end of our ride, everything was top notch – professional, yet warm and friendly.

The details – We toured on a Saturday afternoon, meeting in front of Washington Square Park at around 1:00. They provided detailed directions to the spot, and we knew we were in the right place when we saw a whole row of bikes lined up. We were greeted with smiles and felt very comfortable right away. In addition to our guide, there were two other staff members there who checked to see that bikes seats were the right height and helmets fit correctly (you don’t have to wear them, but are strongly encouraged). When all group members arrived (we had a party of 5 join us), we rode around the park just to get the feel of our bikes and our guide gave us a short introduction about what we would be seeing/tasting that day. I am so sorry that I can’t recall her name (I should have written this review much earlier), but she was outstanding…really tried to get a feel for the group and made a real effort to include everyone.

On this particular day, we made four stops – Li'l Dizzy's Café for fried chicken (and etouffe since one of the members of our group asked for it), Liuzza’s Lounge and Grill for an amazing gumbo, Parkway Bakery and Tavern for a Po’ Boy, and finally, a little shop in the Quarter called Melt Down for gourmet popsicles. While your average visitor to NOLA might find their way to Parkway since they are known for their Po’Boys, I doubt that many would visit these other spots without a real insider’s advice. We enjoyed all the stops immensely and appreciated our guide’s knowledge and cheerful personality. It takes a special kind of person to zero in on the interests of the group and make everyone feel a part of the experience, and that’s what this kind of tour is – a real experience, genuine and unique.

A word about money – This 4 hour tour was $85 per person (and worth every penny!) payable in cash or check at the end of the tour. There is no need to worry about money at the various stops; your guide takes care of that. Feel free to order drinks at any of the restaurants, but beware – bike riding on some of these streets can be a bit tricky under the best circumstances. After a few drinks…well, you get the idea! While we did not feel pressured in ANY way, we felt our guide was well-deserving of a generous tip. I don’t think the others in our party did this, but I would think most people would know to do this.

This is an OUTSTANDING company and we look forward to touring with them on our next visit to New Orleans!

1  Thank ksfmom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)
All reviews
"cocktail tour"
in 28 reviews
"three hours"
in 21 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 31 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed January 6, 2013

My family consisting of my wife, 19 year old son, 17 year old daughter, and myself greatly enjoyed our Creole Bicycle Tour on COC, Lara, our guide, was fantastic. She was knowledgeable, flexible to our wishes, and gave us a truly memorable experience. As a history buff I loved learning about the history of the city and the sites we were seeing. It was presented in an upbeat manner with enough fun facts to keep the kids interested. The tour was a laid back 6 miles on a cruiser over 3 hours with one break for coffee and snacks-this could have been a bar break if the kids were not underage. Do this tour early in your trip as it will give you ideas for the rest of your trip such as restaurants and "must see" sites. When I return to New Orleans I plan on returning to COC to try the Culinary Tour and/or the History of Drinking Tour.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This tour will help you plan the rest of your days and nights in NOLA.

In the past, I have been to the quarter 15 or 20 times:; as a night out after a day of work. When I went there for 4 days of vacation, I thought that I would be able to figure out what my husband and I would want to do, but it wasn't that easy after all. Had I taken this cruise first, I would have known the history, where to eat, drink, sleep, see music and what areas to explore further.

Cassidy, our tour guide, knows everything. Don't doubt me! Past history, recent history, seedy history, where to see jazz/blues/zydeco, where to eat what, where to drink what, locals view of Katrina, funny stories of a slice of his life (from NOLA).

Our tour (history) took us in the neighboorhoods (Marigny & Bywater) next to the quarter. I get a feeling that these places are what the quarter was like before overun with tourists. I am not against the quarter, but these neighborhoods absolutely need to be explored, and cassidy is the key to the city.

I work for the airlines,and I travel frequently, I know how to discover a city. If I had a tour like this in every new city that I visited, in a few days, I would know where all the gems are, in my reality, it takes me multiple visits to learn what I learned from him in a few hours. The history was terribly interesting, the bloody mary's delicious! My only regret is not doing this tour first so that it would have influenced the rest of my visit.

Book ahead of time. They are busy.I suspect that any of their tours would leave you in the know and happy. The ride is easy. LOVED THIS TOUR!!!!

2  Thank Peggy303
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We did not expect that this tour would be entirely outside of the French Quarter, but really appreciated the route that we took. The tour goes mainly through the Faubourg Marigny neighborhood which has some really great sites and beautiful homes. Jeff, the tour guide, tells great stories about the history of New Orleans and the origins of the culture of the city. I highly recommend this tour. We had a lot of fun even though it started to rain about 3/4 of the way through and had to cut it short (they kindly prorated the price). Jeff gave us some really good recommendations about local restaurants and music venues which enhanced the rest of our trip.