“Nice to visit, easy to overlook”

St. Louis Cathedral
Ranked #3 of 380 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The major landmark of the French Quarter is the oldest continuously active cathedral in the U.S.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The tour guides will tell you a bit about the cathedral and tell you to go in when you get a chance. Yes, do it. Pick up one of the detailed brochures of the cathedral (donation suggested). The artifacts are interesting. For me, the best part were the stained glass windows - this is why you should get the brochure - that outline the life of St. Louis.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,698)

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Great break from the chaos of NO. Central to tourist area. Open to the public. Pretty stained glass but nothing noteworthy. Great jazz trio plays daily in front of the cathedral. Some of the best music I heard all week.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Beautiful architecture and it's been around for a long time. We found out that this was a church at first and later became a cathedral. We will attend mass there next Sunday. We lit candles for our loved ones. Seemed like a nice parish. The statue of Jesus lost the tip of his left thumb during Katrina. It is situated in Jackson square which are considered the high grounds and the first settled land of this area.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I walked in one day escaping a passing rain shower and was pleasantly surprised. I had no idea that the cathedral was so beautiful. The paintings on the roof are amazing, and the stain glassed windows aswell. I had never been to mass, and I saw a sign that a mass would be held at 7 in the morning and I went the next morning. It was a nice experience. I recomend you come look at the inside instead of just admiring the outside.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Oldest cathedral in North America. The patron was the King of France. Nicer than most U.S. cathedrals.