“My favorite stop in New Orleans!”

New Orleans School of Cooking
Book In Advance
More Info
$86.67*
and up
New Orleans Culinary and Cocktail Walking Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We teach the basics of Louisiana Cooking in a way you’ll never forget. Fun is a primary ingredient in our kitchen! Our Cajun / Creole experts teach New Orleans specialties such as Gumbo, Jambalaya and Pralines, seasoning them with history, trivia and tall tales! We offer demonstration classes and hands-on classes daily! DEMONSTRATION CLASS: Watch, learn & eat! Sit back and enjoy watching our skilled, entertaining chefs prepare a classic Cajun / Creole meal for you while learning about the vibrant history of New Orleans cuisine - enjoy all the demonstrated items, as well as local Abita beer with your meal! HANDS ON CLASS: Cook & eat an authentic Louisiana meal! In this highly interactive class, our guests prepare a complete dinner with one of our expert chefs, and afterwards they are able to sit down and enjoy the meal they have just created. Served with red & white wine.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
New York City, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“My favorite stop in New Orleans!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I debated which cooking school to try, but this one had a 2:00 pm class so it just worked better for my schedule. I couldn't have been happier. The class is a demonstration, but you learn so much more than the recipes. Chef Pat explained the history of New Orleans and how different foods and flavors influence the cuisine. We had gumbo, jambalaya and pralines! YUM!! The food was delicious. My favorite Gumbo and Pralines in town! I am not a cook, but had to buy the Joe's Stuff spice we used because it was so delicious. I can't wait to make Gumbo at home!

1 Thank Jodi F

Wolfville, Canada
326 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 195 helpful votes
“We enjoyed every minute”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was a great way to spend a few hours in NOLA, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The Instructor was hilarious, but sure knew his food and we learned a great deal about local food, customs, history, and cooking. All the recipes were tasty, and replicable at home (without purchasing anything from the store, although we did buy a few things for folks back home) and the little extras made this a great experience. Among other things, I learned how to brown flour and make pralines. I'd recommend the class to anyone who wants to learn more about the food of Louisiana.

Visited February 2012
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“So much fun with lots of food to eat”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were 5 women and decided to do the demonstration class rather than the hands on cooking class. This was so much fun and very informative. The classroom is made up of about 8 round tables of 10. We made our reservations 1 month in advance so they called our names first which meant we got to sit in the first table. All tables have a good view as the cooking burners are magnified by a mirror placed on a 45 degree angle to reflect everything but I was glad to be in the front. The price is a bargain considering you get a full lunch and great beer. I bought several items in their shop along with the cookbook and my family is probably enjoying that gift more than the t shirts I brought home.

Winnsboro, Texas, United States
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Learn the Secrets of Cajun Cookery and Become the Talk of YOUR Town!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

For hands-on foodies visiting New Orleans, the "New Orleans School of Cooking" is a MUST ATTEND activity!

Though "demonstration" style cooking classes are available, the real fun and learning is best enjoyed by booking a hands-on class with the school. $125 may seem a little pricey for a three-hour cooking class (or maybe it doesn't?) but its DEFINITELY worth the investment here!

Our class of seven was led by Chef Pat. She was very personable, funny, super-informative and a pleasure to learn from. The class started off with a 15-20 talk about the history of NOLA and why its so important to the food the region serves.

We were then led through the basics of Cajun cooking: making a roux (with good old lard) the importance of "trinity" (onions, celery, and green peppers) in Cajun foods, Andouille sausage, and various regional seasoning mixes. Pat made it all seem very easy as she led us through making our first "File Gumbo" step-by-step, Chicken (or fish) with Sauce Meuniere, and of course Pralines.

Everybody had a riot in our class of seven. It looks as though hands-on classes could be as large as nine or so, but I'm sure they'd be just as fun.

This isn't JUST a cooking class, it's dinner and a party too! Your class fee includes (what appears to be) unlimited wine or beer while cooking and dining, a great meal - prepared by you - and lots of fun and good times.

Highly recommended!

2 Thank Valiant V
Edmonton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best thing we did in Chicago”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Prior to arriving in New Orleans we had booked to do the hands-on cooking class at the New Orleans School of Cooking. They only book 4 couples for each session. We each had our own cooking table and supplies. My friend and I learned how to make gumbo, spicey chicken and fish (the fish was my favourite) and pralines.

Lots of extras; all the wine, beer, ice tea you could drink. You got to eat your meal and take the left overs. A souvenir apron. Recipes provided. Lots of cooking tips. A brief and informative history lesson and history as it related to Lousianna food. In fact what Ann covered about the history of New Orleans was waaaaaay more informative than what was covered in a bus tour we did the next day.

Ann was our cooking teacher - she was lovely - funny, informative, supportive, great company. We met some of the other staff who also seemed great!

Even if your not a foodie I would highly recommend this experience.

1 Thank Marge_MW