“Super Tour (and free cake!)”

Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World
Book In Advance
More Info
$22.00*
and up
New Orleans Mardi Gras World Behind-the-Scenes...
Ranked #41 of 383 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Mardi Gras World is the most unique attraction in America’s most uniquely attractive city. Come see how Mardi Gras is made and get up close to Mardi Gras' grandest floats and sculptures.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We loved visiting Mardi Gras World! It was definitely one of our favorites in NOLA.

We started off watching a film about Mardi Gras, got to dress up in some costumes for photo ops, and then were taken on a guided tour of the work stations and warehouse. After the guide was finished we were allowed to wonder around, spend time watching people working, take pictures, etc. You were allowed to take all the photos you desire, all they ask is you not use flash where people are working. Everything was soo colorful and loved seeing the perpetual float building process.

After the tour stop at the café counter, show them your tour beads, and get a free piece of king cake!

This warehouse is a mere drop in the bucket when it comes to floats. Our guide stated many different krewes have different storage places and when floats are finished they can be stored elsewhere. It was just unreal. We never realized the process and time that goes into Mardi Gras.
Definitely a cool place to visit. There is a free shuttle from the Quarter and also parking nearby for $5 (if I remember right - regardless, it was very reasonable).

Write a ReviewReviews (3,515)
All reviews
in 76 reviews
"wander around"
in 55 reviews

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Mardi Gras World was something I'd heard about but just thought it to be another 'tourist trap'. I decided to check it out and drag my wife, two daughters, a son-in-law, and a significant other to check it out with me. I had a blast. They start you out with a short film and the opportunity to dress up in some Mardi Gras outfits and take pictures with a variety of Mardi Gras props and then start the tour. It is essentially one of their warehouses and a working workshop with artists and craftsmen in various stages of building Mardi Gras floats and figures. It was fascinating. After the tour you had the opportunity to retrace your steps or wander around the warehouse checking out numerous floats from years before. Be sure to catch the free shuttle to get there and plan on spending a few hours while you are there.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We've never been fortunate enough to spend Mardi Gras in New Orleans, so this attraction is the next best thing. It's a sprawling complex of warehouses, packed full of floats and dazzling sculptures in every theme. The artistry is truly amazing. After the tour, we were allowed to roam the floors and take up-close pictures, and we wandered for hours. Great fun for all ages.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

As a Yankee, I never fully appreciated the Mardi Gras and the effort that goes into the parades. The staff at Mardi Gras World are truly artists and sculptors of first rate. The technical side is interesting too. The movie was very informative about the history and current state of the parades. Suzie was a really upbeat guide through the warehouse and was knowledgeable about the floats. Better than the neon bone yard as this is a vibrant business.
Must see

See more reviews
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I'd been here years before, but on a recent trip to New Orleans with my wife, I was persuaded to go here again since she had never been. To my surprise, I really enjoyed it even though it was my 2nd time. The video they start you with is a great introduction to the "behind the scenes" of Mardi Gras, and walking through their warehouse is always something new since you never know what the artisans might be working on. A truly great experience, and very convenient that they'll pick you up on their free shuttle from convenient spots in the CBD/French Quarter