“Combo Airboat and Plantation Tour in New Orleans”
Review of Tours by Isabelle

New Orleans Historical and Sightseeing Small-Group Tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: locally owned and family run New Orleans tour company,first class, small scale, personalized service since 1979. Experienced and knowledgeable Driver-Guides on board comfortable, top of the line 13 passenger vans enthusiastically will make you fall in love with Louisiana!
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our guide, Ginnie, was excellent. Well-spoken, friendly, and enthusiastic, she was able to provide a great deal of information about the area! The airboat tour was terrific! Our guide was well-spoken and humorous, as well as a great navigator! We saw beautiful birds and were able to hold a small alligator! Definitely a highlight of our visit to New Orleans.
The plantation visit to Destrehan was disappointing. The house itself was fine and clearly historical. However, it was not quite what we had expected or imagined for our only plantation visit. Furthermore, the docent was poorly informed, sarcastic, and did not make the house "come alive". She was unable to accurately describe anything inside the house and was poorly prepared. We would have preferred her to be dressed in modern dress and to be interesting and informative, rather than in period costume and unable to convey anything stimulating. The carpenter docent who described the wood crafts on the plantation was excellent. Would have preferred two shorter visits to two different styles of plantations.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,461)

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Our tour guide Diane was very knowledgeable about the history of the city as well as as giving very detailed information about Katrina. Unfortunately, it was very cold and windy so we cut short our cemetery visit. It was interesting to see the 9th ward and the rebuilding efforts but also how much more needs to be done.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We chose this tour from the Fodor's Guidebook which for my husband is a travel Bible! "Visiting a plantation" was also highly recommended to us by a relative and this one did NOT disappoint! We were picked up right on time. There were 12 on our tour, the maximum the van can hold, and while it looked as if it might be tight, it was just fine and adequately roomy. Ginnie was our tour guide, extremely knowledgeable and very encouraging of us asking questions. The plantations were very interesting....tour guides at both Laura and Oak Alley also excellent....and the swamp tour with Mr. Torres was full of information, wildlife viewing (although "too chilly to see alligators"!) and very entertaining. Ginnie does a great job, kept right to the schedule and entertained us with history and stories all the way out and all the way back. We would highly recommend this tour!!!

2  Thank mschaef70
Reviewed December 16, 2013

As I am from Australia, this was my first trip to New Orleans and I didn't have much time to spend in the city. I went on the grand plantation tour with airboat. The airboat was great. I had only been to city's during my trip so it was a wonderful experience seeing wildlife in it's native habitat. Managed to see alligators and even a bald eagle. The boat ride itself was tons of fun. Afterwards I got to visit 2 different plantations. It was very surprising to see how different 2 plantations could be in the same area. They were beautiful spots with a history.my tour guide (Ellen) was extremely helpful with any questions I had. A highly recommended tour

1  Thank ezza_888
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We booked the Grand Tour of Cajun Country with Airboat about 3 months in advance- the staff though the booking agency called us periodically to let us know how full the tour was (they only run it if they have enough people), which was really thoughtful. The day that it booked to capacity they called again to personally let us know that we were good to go.

This tour cost 185$ a person, so we had high expectations.

We were picked up at out hotel by our tour guide, Muriel, on time. She was a funny, sweet lady with a French accent- lots of facts packed away about Louisiana.

First stop was the Swamp Tour for our airboat where we were greeted by Captain Garry. Totally funny guy- made the trip amazing and very memorable with his hilarious stories. The tour is about 90 minutes, and they offered us rain coats, which I declined. There was a bit of spray and it is SUPER chilly, so make sure to bundle up. We saw some alligators which is of course something you'd want and expect to see on this type of tour. We learned about the area, the local flora and fauna, and about people falling off the boat ;) haha Don't fall off the boat! I had no idea how beautiful the swamp was- for me this was the highlight of the day. This portion of the trip was well worth the upgrade in price.

After the swamp we drove to Oak Alley Plantation for lunch and a tour. The food was very good- I was a bit surprised as sometimes tours serve their guests questionable food. We started with a salad and cup of gumbo, then moved onto a seafood etouffee, black beans and rice, and andouille sausage. The desserts were pretty fun- they had bread pudding with a bourbon sauce, yum, as well as a buttermilk pie. I thought this stuff was pretty amazing- buttermilk and super sweet condensed milk. Wow.

We had a bit of time to wander around the plantation before the tour started which was nice. The tour itself was very good. If you just came to the plantation and walked around you would not get nearly as much out of your time there. We learned so much about the history of the plantation, the people who lived there and their daily lives. The tour guides wouldn't go int he death room as they claim it is haunted and that many tourists get an outline of a ghost in their pictures of the room..

After this plantation we drove to Laura House. These two plantations are night and day in differences- from the style that their tour guides use, to the information provided, to the general look and feel of the property. I though it was very cool to see two very different plantation homes. Laura house is a multi-colored structure, and was historically run by some pretty fascinating women women. This tour lasted a little over an hour, and while I thought this might be too long, it wasn't at all. Loved the place.

In between each place, Muriel gave us information in the car about the place we were going to, so we had a bit of background prior to arriving. She was very casual and approachable. Great tour guide.

I 100% recommend this tour and tour company. It's great when you book something like this and come out of it wanting to do it all over again.

2  Thank phoenixwan