Casa de Mar
$55
Hostal Los Almendros(El Sunzal)(Great Value!)
$34
Kayu Resort(El Sunzal)
$114
B Boutique Hotel(El Sunzal)
$285
El Tejado(Suchitoto)
$78
TripAdvisor
Hotel Armonia Hostal(San Salvador)(Great Value!)
$36
$34
Hotel Mirador Plaza(San Salvador)
$79
$70
Plaza Hotel & Suites(San Salvador)
$95
$65
Hotwire.com
$58
  • Restaurant
Agoda.com
All reviewssurf breaklocated rightnon surfersseafoodlovely roombottled watertotal relaxationbeautiful hotelpoint breakbeautiful poolocean viewfeel like familyspectacular viewsgreat foodloved every minutewonderful careperfect surf
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We barely made it to Casa de Mar due to Washington DC Blizzard #3 but once we landed, this trip was the perfect getaway!

Never having been to El Salvador we were not sure what to expect other than awesome surf which was the main objective. Our friends and family were scratching their heads when we told them where we were headed but we had an open mind and were very exciting about this new location...it came through with flying colors! El Salvador itself is a little rough around the edges but Casa de Mar is truly a hidden gem! We checked into the hotel and immediately fell in love. Our villa Suite Amarillo, was beautiful and had all the comforts one needed for a relaxing, romantic vacation. The staff was amazing, especially considering we were asking a million questions about the hotel itself, the surfing, and the surrounding area.

The food at the hotel restaurant was very good, as was the food next door at Kayu Bar & Grill and down the beach at Erika's. Just a note that the area down the beach is fun and safe but is a little more on the "edgier" side with a couple of hostels and the clientele to match. As American's we definitely stuck out but had no problems.

If you are looking for a great spot for surfing and relaxing...you have come to the right place. We loved the hotel and especially the staff! David, Daniel, Blanca, and Steve (just to mention a few) will take wonderful care of you!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Christina C
Reviewed January 16, 2010

The rooms at Casa del Mar are big and immaculate with an incredible view of the beach. The staff is incredibly warm and helpful and they were absolutely wonderful with our kids. Breakfast was great at the bar and Cafe Sunzal is delicious too and has a beautiful view as well. I highly recommend Casa del Mar for couples, surfers, and families. It is by far and away one of the nicest and cleanest places we've stayed at in Central America and has the best service ever. I read other posts that complained about no cable t.v. or wi-fi but I can't comment because we go to the beach to get away from all of that so didn't inquire.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Rylan25
Reviewed December 2, 2009

My girlfriend and I just got back from El Salvador for a friends wedding and stayed at Casa de Mar for two nights to spend some time on the beach. We were not disappointed. This place was beautiful. After you go through the gate, it's like a little oasis. The room (we stayed in Roja) was huge, clean and comfortable. It could have slept 5 easily (they only allow 3) between the king bed, futon and cushioned bench. The service was great, staff friendly and it is right on the beach. Watching the ocean, waves and all the surfers at night from the deck at night or in the morning at breakfast (included with the room - eggs, beans, plantains and rolls... yum) was awesome. The black sand beach was so relaxing and the ocean was so fun. Best waves I've ever experienced. The restaurant was good although I enjoyed Beto's a few miles down the road better. http://www.laholabetos.com/ The only thing is the plumbing, you can't throw toilet paper in the toilet.... you throw it in a little bag in the garbage which ended up not being that big off a deal. I would stay here again if I am ever in El Salvador. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BabaGan00sh
Reviewed October 23, 2009

From Oct 19th-23rd, I traveled to sunzal with a surf buddy. the surf is very crowded at sunzal, particularly on the weekends--and friday as well. David at casa de mar is a great asset to the property and will help you book day trips to K59, El Zonte or to ruins. Suite Azul arriba is 140/night and can be connected to make it even larger fi you are two couples.. Suite Azul abajo is only 110 and is the closest to the surf. Stay away from La Libertad where it gets a bit sketchy at night. The town of playa del tunco is a short walk along the beach (at low tide only!) While it may have been a secret spot rarely surfed 5 years ago, the tourism has brought dollars to the local economy and there are many locals that surf all day every day. The lineup can get crowded. Keep your expectations low. We also stayed at RocaSunzal and that has apartments with kitchens if you want to cook. Rocasunzal also has 80/night rooms right on the water. But Casa de Mar is more upscale and more romantic.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Edward V
Reviewed May 7, 2009

I picked this place after I saw a few reviews from Trip Advisor. It has taken me sometime to actually fill one out. I must admit they come in handy when looking around. Danny was great - everything worked at this place. The rooms were clean. The VIEW were amazing. I stayed away from the surfing - I left that to the experts. Those waters are no joke.
I recommend this place if you want to start your visit to El Salvador right. Not too many people, surfers are usually pretty chill. Food was great. I am Salvadorean - but this was a totally different experience - vs. what I remember living there as a boy. It was nice to have my girly with me. We enjoyed every minute we were there.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple