All reviewshuge fireplaceindiana dunesquaint hoteljuice and coffeebright spotshore linequiet areaoff the highwaychicagoravineratestlc
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

The setting of this place tops anything in the area. Out in the woods with the occasional sound of a distant train, and the rest filled in with the sound of nature. I was able to stay in a balcony room and open the door to hear the sounds of nature. They do need to improve their indoor pool.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank michellewQ1168QU
Reviewed July 9, 2018

Frankly after reading a few reviews, we were skeptical, but once we arrived we were amazed. New owners had flower pots with fresh flowers on tables and workers outside mowing and trimming. Housekeepers were so friendly and helpful. We were told by the new owners that new carpet and a sauna outside and inside were in the plans this summer. They are getting all new beds too. I love the décor and I begged them not to change it and they said they wouldn't. I seen them bring in a truckload of new ferns and new mini fridges. The breakfast was waffles, sausages, fruit, cereal, toast, bagels, english muffins and pastries. the bed was so comfortable. Bathroom was clean and the coffee pot was NOT in the bathroom as was said by another reviewer. They are planning to serve hot breakfast everyday including eggs and sausage. I cannot emphasized how pleased we were with the staff and the room. I would shout it from the rooftop if I could.. we wish the new owners nothing but the best. Thank you for making our anniversary stay one to remember. Great job.

Room Tip: All units have a balcony. Get there early for breakfast!!
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2018 via mobile

This hotel could be really quaint, but has been let go and completely run down.
We stayed here because of a family event at the Speakeasy Restaurant next door, and were grateful for the convenience of staying on property. We should have driven the few minutes to a better hotel.
First, the parking lot is awful! Huge potholes, grass growing through the cracks everywhere, and it is very difficult to navigate to even locate the front entrance of the hotel, because of all the overgrown trees and bushes.
The lobby of the hotel is nice, but we were so disappointed with our room. The view out of the room windows could be beautiful, overlooking a wooded ravine, but the windows are fogged between the panes, so you can’t see unless you open the patio door. But there’s no screen so you can’t leave the door open, and no chairs on the balcony to enjoy the view.
The carpet was FILTHY. I left my socks on and they stuck to the carpet, because it was sticky and there were stains everywhere.
The beds were not comfortable at all, and the sheets were nowhere near crisp & clean. They felt old and were very wrinkled. The comforter had stains, so it obviously was not washed, so we promptly rolled it off the bed.
The armchair had disgusting stains, so no one would ever want to sit on it.
We had 4 people in our room but they only gave us 3 bath towels and 2 washcloths. We asked for one more bath towel, but they said they didn’t have enough. So we couldn’t have one clean bath towel for each guest?
The breakfast was a “waffle bar” with 1 waffle maker, some redi-whip and canned cherry pie filling. There were also muffins, sugary cereal and bagels. Nothing healthy at all, all breads and carbs. There were 2 coffee pumps, one empty. No decaf coffee.
I did ask the employee if there was a pot of decaf. She said no, but got me decaf coffee packets for the coffee pot in our room. I accepted them, but one look at the filthy coffee pot in the BATHROOM in our room....no thanks.
So gross. We will never return to this hotel.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Beverly L
Reviewed June 9, 2018 via mobile

In its day, I’m sure this lodge/hotel was busy and a real hot spot! Today, however, it’s lonely and in need of some well deserved TLC. For a younger couple, the Indiana Dunes National Park ($12 parking fee) is within hiking distance; otherwise, the park is a very short car trip away and well worth the time. The hotel was comfortable and a very reasonable cost. Breakfast was included. The staff were all about service and were very helpful in offering information about the park, restaurants, and a local history and connection to the Wizard of Oz movie; something about the Munchkins. In a word, I’d have to say the property was “sad”, but truly a slice of the past. If you’re in the neighborhood, stop by. If you’re a travel snob who expects everything and everyone to worship you, then go somewhere else. For my wife and myself who’ve traveled a lot and seen it all, we’d return for sure!

Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2018 via mobile

Looking for a bargain? I’d like to suggest you look somewhere else. The best thing about this dirty, disappointing and run down hotel is the location. Chesterton’s downtown is a great find. The Indiana and Michigan dunes are close. P.S. don’t expect clean towels.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple