“Falling Down Charm”

Ranked #1 of 1 Porter B&B and Inns
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Falling Down Charm”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This is my 2nd visit, and review, of Spring House Inn. Because of the Inn's charm, I overlooked the flaws on the 1st visit. This visit I saw things in a different light. The owners obviously want to take in the money, but don't care to do any repairs. There is no excuse for it.

The disappointment started with the reservation I made on Thursday afternoon- for a Sunday booking. I went to their web site, reserved a whirlpool room, gave all my info, and I was ready for a romantic getaway with my wife. The following evening I received a call from the Inn. I did not have a room- the whirlpool rooms were all booked. I demanded to know HOW a room booked on THEIR website, could now NOT exist? I was told that the Inn uses a third party for their web site, and the booking doesn't come through to them until the following day. ??? I let them know what I thought of their customer service. The following morning I received a call- they DID have a whirlpool room for me- their mistake. ??? HUH?

The Inn was very nicely designed way back when it was built. You walk into a large, 2 story lobby with a floor to ceiling, 2 sided fireplace. But wait- a sign on the hearth states that the fireplace is inoperable. On the back side of the fireplace is a sitting area, as well as the breakfast area. The furniture by the fireplace has rips on the seats. The Inn has french doors and windows throughout- nice features, but the glass is hard to look through because of the dirt and cobwebs that have built up.

The whirlpool rooms are on the lower level. As we walked down the stairs, we got colder and colder. They obviously don't heat THAT hallway. At the foot of the stairs was a sitting area with 2 chairs, table and lamp. The lamp shade was badly damaged (come on- $1.50 at Goodwill to replace). The room was what we expected from our previous visit. Nice size, basic bed, old style TV. There is an iron and board, mini frig, and microwave. I walked over and opened the curtains, finding that the sheers were missing a bunch of curtain hooks, so they were sagging in a couple of spots. There were stains on the ceiling. My wife walked over to turn on the lamp next to bed, and found spots on the shade where bugs had been squashed. That concerned me, and I immediately looked under the sheets and the mattress for bedbugs. None were found. We settled in and eventually prepared to use the whirlpool. The grouting around the whirlpool, and along the floor, was in poor condition, and missing in spots ($2.00 for a tube at the hardware store). There are 3 control knobs on the whirlpool- one of which was missing. In the morning, we went to have breakfast. It was skimpy, and only ran until 9:00 sharp. I had seen a waffle maker, so I was ready for one. I couldn't find the waffle batter, so I asked at the front desk. I was gruffly told that Monday isn't the day for waffles. ??? That is a BASIC daily item everywhere else. The Inn has a pool and a decrepit sauna (I refused to use it). The 1 good thing was the housekeeping in the room (except the glass on the door and window).

If you want a cheap room, and you don't expect much, then this will serve your needs. It has more ambiance than a Motel 6, but beware of all the things mentioned above. It was a uniquely designed Inn when it was built, but I feel like the owners are simply taking in money until it completely falls down. It's sad to see!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side face a wooded area, with a stream running through.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roggger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Zeeland, Michigan
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

We have been going to Porter for over 20 years & just found out about a Spring House Inn. It's not a HI, but it's clean. Needs some updating w the carpets & has wonderful character! Beautiful setting, all rooms have a small balcony, rooms on backside view a small creek/gully, on other side is homes. Reasonably priced ($61) for a king on the lower floor. I will go back & stay again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Quiet and secluded describes this place best. The rooms on the top floor are best with their beautiful vaulted ceilings. Really nice, I love the sauna. It is owned by WhiteCo / Marriot so you know it is a quality hotel, really what I love about quality franchises, is that there is a standard to be upheld, and for any reason if it is not, you have someone to report them to!

Room Tip: Top floor with vaulted ceilings.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed October 7, 2013

It was a good bargin and a perfect location to get away from the hubbub of the city. It is an older hotel and needs some upkeep, but overall very nice. It is in a wooded setting off the beaten track, cozy rooms and free breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Toni P
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 25, 2013

It was a long day to say the least in trying to find a hotel in Portage/Michigan City, IN; but a cancelation led me & my gf to a quaint hidden gem of a place that has great rooms, with fridge & microwave, an amazing shower, a great pool & spa, and great breakfast to boot. Wi-Fi & all the cable channels was a plus and the bed was comfortable to boot. This has everything thing you want and it's away from the hustle and bustle. Check this out when you're in NW-IN!! Definitely coming back!!

Close to Indiana Dunes State Park & all of the Indiana Dunes properties; a hop-skip-and-a jump away from Chesterton (4 min), Valparasio (20 min), and Michigan City (20 min). If you have no car, the South Shore Line (Chicago to South Bend) is the closest public transportation to there (Get off at Dunes Park).

Room Tip: Three tips: 1. Book early, it took luck to get a room here!! 2. Breakfast is served M-F 6a-9a CST...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! What a dump! We entered our room with the wonderful smell of the setpic system not working! The room was filthy dirty with an inch of dust everywhere, stains on the floors that grossed us out. The furniture was not even in a condition to sit on. Breakfast was indedible. On our second day, room service never touched our room. We had to ask for new towels and had them tossed at us with no apology. Honestly, I would not spend $10 to stay in this hotel...and that is saying something because I was a traveling salesman and have stayed in some real dumps. This one takes the cake. We came back from a day at the beach to be greeted by a biker couple living in the room two doors down cooking bacon in their micro wave. AVOID this place at all costs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank kclbadave

Travelers are raving about these Porter hotels

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love the Spring House Inn. It does need some upkeep and touch-up, granted. But it is clean and in the most beautiful setting off the highway with lovely wooded views. Rooms have balconies or patios. Front desk is helpful. There are free breakfasts and they have a schedule for when they serve one of three hot menu options: Biscuits and Gravy, Hard boiled eggs and Sausage or the Hampton Inn style Waffles. (yum). All sorts of other items are also available such as bagels, muffins really good danish, cereal, oatmeal, fruit cocktail, juice and coffee. If you are a decaf person, bring your own, as this is caffeine country.
There is a swimming pool and sauna that are nice, and an exercise room-ahem, again could use an upgrade, but I just got my exercise walking in the lovely neighborhood.
The rooms are quite spacious and comfortable.
If you want perfection, this is not for you. If you are ok with overlooking not perfect to reap the other benefits-it is spot on.
Quiet- that is the other big plus. No noisy hallways, quiet, even sedate guests-I suspect they have a group of regular customers. Quiet breakfast room. Lovely view in breakfast room.
Entry has gorgeous fireplace and seating areas. There is a sun room at the end of the hallway at least on the third floor. Meeting rooms are available at additional cost.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor with the wooded view. Take note of the breakfast schedule on the board in the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porter
Comfort Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Hampton Inn Portage
Hampton Inn Portage
#2 of 11 in Portage

Been to Spring House Inn? Share your experiences!